Replacing alternator: how much tensio... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Replacing alternator: how much tension on belt « Previous Next »
By Matt (loudsubz) on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought a brand new 105 amp alt for replacement on my boat. The wiring is fine, but Im not sure how tight the belt has to be when I setup the new one.

Is there a special tool to measure tension on the belt, or can I do it by feel?

By dhcomp (dhcomp) on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
about as snug you can get it reasonably.

Across the longest belt span, you should be able to flex it about 1/8-1/4 inch when the boat isn't running.

By trace (trace) on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 8:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Get a big flathead screwdriver, and use it to pry the alt away from the block as you tighten the adjustment bolt. You almost can't get it too tight.

By matt schwarz (supraboarder03) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 5:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There is a formula. I believe it is 1/64th" deflection per 1" span center to center of the sheaves. This is assuming it is a v-belt.

By "G" (grant_west) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have heard if you can spin the belt around on itself in the center of the span it to loose.

is this for a V belt or a Serpitine

By Matt (loudsubz) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 7:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
its a V belt

By "G" (grant_west) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 7:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My rule is if it feels tight and it dosent slip then its good you don't need a fancy tool to tell you that.

On a Ho alternator the tention is important so you need to have it tighter than the other belts. It shouldnt be tight like a piano wire but not loose like a shoe string. You get the point. Everyone above had good advice.
I heard one guy tell me that if you could grab the belt and tug on it as if you were trying to spin the motor and the belt slip'd then its to loose. he said you should be able to turn the motor by pulling on the belt. This advice was from Bill at the Battery Shack. That seems pretty darn tight

By Dante (hal2814) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 8:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was riding in my cousin's Sport Nautique this weekend when his 1 month old alternator belt snapped. He thinks he may have tightened it too tight. Of course, it could just be a bad belt or some other issue.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com