|Today I turned on my boat sterio and when listening to it, I could tell that one of my tower speakers wasn't sounding right. I took it down and pulled it apart. When I pulled it apart I noticed a strong burning smell. One of the wires seemed like it was squished and the 2 wires were bare. Also there was some brown marks on the crossover. When I took the crossover out there was a burnt hole in the insulation inside and some burn marks on the can itself. I bipassed the crossover and ran power to each speaker and the only one that worked was the tweeter. Does anyone know if this would have been caused by a build up of moisture inside the can, or would it be from the bare wires possibly grounding out on the can and shorting out the crossover? Also is there any where that you can buy replacement speakers and a crossover? The speakers and crossover are diamon audio. They are the Fusion T-series speakers. Just like these but a little older. They only have the one clamp for the tower. |
Here are some pictures I took to show what happened.
|I was also running these speakers off of my alpine V12 600watt amp. I don't know if that would have any baring on what happened or not.|
|By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:08 am:
|Usually bare speaker wires just cause the amp to go into overload protection mode. Were you recently hammering the system hard for an extended period as this may be a case of just too much power for the crossovers to handle and you had a "Thermal Event"|
|^^^ would bet money that's what happened, to much power, for to long, the speakers overheated. Used to happen to me all the time with car audio speakers.|
|Okay, Thanks for the help. |
My gf just bought me these for the boat. What would be the best way to hook these up? I have a 400 watt amp running all of the speakers inside the boat, and have the other amp to run my tower speakers. Am I best off to just hook these up to my amp running all of my inside speakers to avoid running too much power to them, or should I just turn all the settings down and just not run as much power to these off of my other amp?
|What did fusion wire those with...dental floss. If you are able to repair/replace that crossover I would suggest some 14 gauge wire at a minimum.|