I NEED SOME MECHANICAL HELP Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » I NEED SOME MECHANICAL HELP « Previous Next »
By Patrick McNamara (phx07enzo) on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So I was out on Saturday and felt like I hit a very small log in the water. There was a bit of debris that day. Anyway the boat had a vibration above 2500 RPM so I just limped it back in. I took off the prop this morning and could find no visible damage. Now I know there could be a slight bend that I couldn't notice, but the prop looked ok.
The Question I have is, when I grabbed the prop and turned the shaft, it made kid of a rubber on metal squeaking sound. The sound was coming from the bearing that holds the shaft directly behind the prop. BTW this is a 07 V-drive. IS this simply because it's not in the water, or could I have a bearing problem? How do I know for sure/repair?

By trace (trace) on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The cutlass bearing is lubricated by the water. You can spray some silicone lube in it to free it up to mess with it while it's on the trailer.

You can kind of check the straightness of the shaft in place with a carpenter's square. It's probably just one of the prop blades bent inward a little bit, without dinging the edge.

By Patrick McNamara (phx07enzo) on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanks, I'm guessing that's the case. I just dont want any shaft problem$$

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 2:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How hard was it to turn the prop?

By scooter (spherren) on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 2:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the same boat, usually when I hit a log, it get caught on the fins in front washing out the water from the prop causing a bad vibration. After you remove the log which can be done by backing up fast, the vibration goes away. The noise is normal when rotating the shaft dry.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com