Wakesurfing Hard on engines? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Wakesurfing Hard on engines? « Previous Next »
By Ryan D (ogopogo) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone have any thoughts on this? It was brought up in the wakesurfing hate fest in the wakeboarding discussion area...

By Robert Beckei (rbeckei) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
as per my service department at where I bought the boat, they do say it is harder on the engines. They recommend that if you wakesurf alot then change your oil mid season.

By HeHateMe (hamkj) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The only thing I can think of is if the oil pan and other parts of the motor are not designed to have the oil sit on one extreme side of the motor... you can get oil starvation... Which would then be difficult on the motor... but that is all I can think of... you are running low rpms... not gunnin it...

By Bill Johnson (tigerules) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Isn't the motor running under load at a very low RPM?? That ain't good, at least not for a long time.

By HeHateMe (hamkj) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Ryan.... has Katana moved all operations from Malibu/Liquid Ride to Penticton now? I see ads that they are hiring... I assume he bought it just for the molds, business, and supplies to get moved down here.. and then sell off the real estate... which is where I assume the money is being made now... I can't see how a Canadian Boat Builder would be thriving in the North American Marketplace...

By Ryan D (ogopogo) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not sure haven't talked him (scotty - former owner) in a while, I think he's in san fran now?? Sold for $1,110,000 last fall. The bare land itself is worth over $700,000.

By HeHateMe (hamkj) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
True Bill... I think a boat builder should design a wakesurf boat... all ballast on one side... motor on one side with forward and reverse ... that way you can ride regular or goofy... just go forward or backwards.... hahaha....

By Ben-Wah (wakelatx) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 1:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My friend has put 410 hours on his 07 SAN 220 of almost only surfing in the past 10 months. He changes the oil every 50-60 hours and everything runs and has run great. Only problem we have seen is the seats getting damaged from having sacs on them everyday.

By who cares (liljohn) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 1:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
my service guy say it is hard on the motor and tranny but not an issue if you change the fluids regularly. the one bit of advise he did give me was that when we are done surfing to open it up run some hi rpms so suit and sludge wont build up in the motor or exhaust.

By trace (trace) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 2:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Everyone says this, but I have never heard one good reason why it should be harder on your driveline than anything else. The motor doesn't really see higher loads - it can only push the load that the prop can put on it. The oil pickup is so low that the motor would literally have to be tilted close to 90 before you would have a problem. Once you're in gear, there is no slippage in the tranny to generate extra heat from higher loads, as you would see in a car.

My boat turns over 2000 rpm when surfing, which is higher than my truck on the freeway. Would it be a good idea to pull over every couple hundred miles, put it in neutral, and redline the motor?

By Brett Yates (polarbill) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 3:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anybody tried 2 trim tabs like on bigger cruisers? Would this have close to the same affect as weighting one side. This seems like it would make the engine work more efficient.

By HeHateMe (hamkj) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 4:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ryan D... I thought he went to cowtown to work with Rossy Wake Air.

I think they got great coin for that... considering what is going on right now.

By Ryan D (ogopogo) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 4:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
your right, I remember now.

By TXSurfVLX (bac) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 4:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We run at around 3000 RPM in a '00 VLX with around 1800 lbs. in sacks and usually 4 to 5 people, sometimes more sometimes less. We've been surfing hard all year, every weekend, usually all day both saturday and sunday. No problems with the motor at all (We are always watching it though). This has been a constant debate in our crew for a while now. I'm with Trace on this one, I'm sure the oil pickup (which is your biggest concern) is meant to operate at more extreme angles than what you surf at. These motors are built to be on some what of an angle while operating so starvation should not be an issue. I do agree though with the statement about changing out your fluids mid season. I know we'll be doing that

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com