Stereo Questions???? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Stereo Questions???? « Previous Next »
By Brett Yates (polarbill) on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was thinking about putting wetsounds on my boat and some really nice interior speakers but I think I have decided that I just don't want to spend the money on them quite yet. I did find some alternatives though.

I have six 6.5" speaker cans and 4 interior 6.5's and 2 JL 10's. For amps I have a kicker 400 watt at 2 ohm D class amp(for the subs/sub), a crappy pioneer I am going to replace and an overly huge Kicker 100x4 at 4 ohms.

Her is what I have narrowed my search down to:

The 6 tower speakers and 4 interior speakers.
Kicker KM613's-80 a pair new or 20 a speaker for display model ones that are scratched but work fine. They have 10 of them.
RF T612C's-$75/pair
Polk DB651's-$70/pair

I haven't checked the measurments on the Kicker or Polk speakers. I have checked the RF's(they will fit) and I like the look of them a lot better than the Kickers and equivalent to the Polk's. The Kicker's and Polks are marine speakers but the RF's are not(at least they don't mention it). Is that going to be a problem. I will probably by some speaker covers for the tower speakers no matter which ones I buy. I will also be running 75-100 watts to each tower speaker and about 70-80 to each interior speaker.

The amp I am looking at for the interiors is a Hifonics Zues. I had a Hifonics in High School and thought it was a real good amp for the money. It is the ZXI6406. Anything better for the money? I may also see if I can buy my buddies Xtant he had in high school that says is 50x4 but am thinking it is really underrated.

As for the sub I really like the price of the RF Punch Stage 2. If I get this I will get the dual 4 ohm voice coil version. I have found this sub for around $75. Does anybody know if this sub would be better in a sealed or ported box. In cars I have always liked the sound of sealed boxes a lot better.

I am not an audiophile so I don't need the best SQ on earth. I also don't really care that much about hearing while I am riding. I want something that will sound pretty good while sitting in the boat.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Brett

By Jay (jay_g) on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i just put 3 pair of DB651's in my boat and they sound great. Powered by a clarion APX490

By Brett Yates (polarbill) on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jay, if you get a chance can you get a couple measurements for me. I am looking for the distance/diameter between the mounting screws/holes on opposite sides of the speakers and also the total diameter will the grill on.

By Brett Yates (polarbill) on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 7:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I believe the RF speakers are the one's that come in 08 Malibu's, they are the power 6.5's, has everybody with them been satisfied?

(Message edited by polarbill on June 06, 2008)

By Brett Yates (polarbill) on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry, the RF's are T162C.

Someone has to have used these different speakers before.

By Brett Yates (polarbill) on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 6:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well, I think I have crossed the RF's off the list.

I have done some more checking and found POLK MMC650's for 90/pair. I am thinking this would be worth the extra few dollars. Do you agree? If anybody can get a measurement of the diameter/distance between the mounting screws that would be great. I believe the cutout hole on my cans are 5 5/8 and I want to make sure they will fit. Also if anybody has the outside diameter after the grills are on that would be great.

Also as far as subs go what is everybody's opinion of Kicker vs RF? I am thinking about getting a punch stage 2 12 or a kicker VR Comp 12.

By VLX Envy (cavlxenvy) on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 6:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Polk MoMos would be a nice move.

By Jay (jay_g) on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 8:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Brett my boat is in the shop Ill have it tomarrow. FYI I got mine at CIrcuit City buy 1 get one pair at 50% off

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com