1987 Supra SunSport - First Pics: Engine Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » 1987 Supra SunSport - First Pics: Engine « Previous Next »
By Mike Dahlheimer (wakemikey) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hello WakeWorld - I've been lurking for a few months as I've been searching for and researching my first inboard purchase. After searching my area for the big three (80s MasterCraft Stars & Stripes, 80s Ski Nautique "2001s", and 80s Supra SunSports) I really liked the SunSports deeper V and wake plate, not to mention it's the ONLY with an open bow!

Of course, it's all about what you can find and how the prices compare for you. I love that MasterCraft has the reputation of being more "waterproof" throughout as compared to the Supras who have the reputation of being somewhat more susceptible to holding water in some scenarios. I love the SN2001s' rep for being a wake-beast and how well they hold weight. But with the Launch hull, the open-bow and a great price, I couldn't say no to the Supra!

I found this beauty about five hours from home, went to view and made a deposit. Coming back in a month to test-drive (YESSS) and pay in full, and then haul home behind a newer Tahoe.

She's in fantastic shape, 1987 Supra SunSport Skier open-bow 19'6" w/ 600 hours for $7500, 2nd-owner (they used it for barefooting) with a 240hp 351cu" Ford V8.

The exterior and interior are great and the floor and engine bolts seemed very solid. It was always stored indoors and on a lift/trailer and the colors inside and out are great. To me, I think this seems to be pretty good evidence that it should be pretty safe on the floors/stringers.

Great trailer with some custom mods (single-person drive-on thingie) and great chrome dualies.

She has a hydrolic wake plate!!! WHO KNEW they put these on factory in this early year! WOWIE what a suprise when I saw that! Of course right now it's frozen up and the owner says it hasn't worked that he knows of but I can hear the motor trying to run so I think we can fix that!

Depth finder w/ alarm, am/fm cassette woot woot, cooler and trash can built-in (hah) and seating for eight!

I've been boarding for +-10 years, all behind a lovely 1976 Glastron 17' 135hp I/O. Friends have a 20' SeaRay 230hp I/O. We even use a 700lb LaunchPad but the wakes are washy and I have decided it's time to make the most important move of my favorite hobby.

Please help me look over these engine pics! Comments are what I need! Yes, I'm excited! More pics to come.

(please allow me a few mins to post these pics - 3-22 1pm central)

(Message edited by wakemikey on March 22, 2008)

By Mike Dahlheimer (wakemikey) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pics...Upload

Now what I see here of note is that the intake on the carb is a bit blackened but the owner says it doesn't leak oil or burn oil at all. She started right up after a couple cranks and sounded incredible!

I'm really not a mechanic, but the Holley carb seems like a debatable issue. If I were to change that carb out for something that might conserve more gas, would that help me? I don't think I'll be lacking in power. Why is the Holley such a popular carb?

Note the engine is winterized and has many hoses/belts removed in these pics.

By Mike Dahlheimer (wakemikey) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pics2Upload

Better view is the Holley.

There is a little visable grease/dirt in this picture but no rust anywhere on the engine. Well ok, there's one little spot I see in a pic, but I don't think it'll hurt anything. I'll point it out when I post that pic.

By Mike Dahlheimer (wakemikey) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pics3Upload

In this pic you can see the shaft (heh) in the lower portion. You can also see the glassed floor-bottom and two of the engine mounts.

By Mike Dahlheimer (wakemikey) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pics4Upload

This pic is a great closeup of the starter. It seemed to work just fine (something I can actually change!) but it's all pitted and viasbly worse-for-wear. It does have newer electronic ignition and I believe the distributer/plug-wires look pretty new too.

Also to the right of the starter is the visable rust I mentioned in a previous post.

By Mike Dahlheimer (wakemikey) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pics5Upload

Alright now we're gettin to the good stuff.

But here you can see the seats and vinyl colors. Storage behind the spotters seat, cooler under the playpen middle cushion. That little white circle/access hole is the built-in garbage. It's a lil shoot that opens up beneath the playpen for a large garbage bag. Nice.

By Mike Dahlheimer (wakemikey) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

Seating for eight - and eight cupholders! How thoughtful!

And a built-in boardrack. Well OK, ski rack. But until we get the tower, etc, it will serve. Thinking a Monster Tower I or II, or Titan, or maybe the Supra OEM brand Rad-a-Cage.

By Mike Dahlheimer (wakemikey) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload
Upload

This boat has more than 90' of 1/2" teak throughout!

By Mike Dahlheimer (wakemikey) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload
Upload

For eighties colors, this is one of the better looking SunSports I've seen. Look at that big ol' deep V. This is a much bigger boat than I'm used to! Yikes! Sometimes depth can be an issue on the Mississip...

I had to erase registration and sale info.

Ok, that's all I'm posting for now! Please comment away!!!!

By Jay (jayc) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks great and in very good shape for a 21 year old ride.

I think either the pulleys are pitted or mis aligned as there seems to be a lot of belt debris on the engine (and most likely what the black stuff is on the spark arrester). A cheap and easy fix so don't sweat it.

By Psyclone (cyclonecj) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice boat for the bux! You'll have fun with it this summer. It will throw an awesome wake with a couple of sacks and some people in there.

That was the alternator, btw;)

By alan plotz (alanp) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
well i wouldnt swap out the carb. i think a rebuild kit for the carb is about 50 bucks(if that) and you can have a mechanic rebuild it for another 50 and it will be just fine if youre concerned about it. if youre not gonna use the pylon be sure to pull it out. it may not seem like it but the boat will feel much more roomy inside with out it. was this boat used in salt water? there seems to be a bit of rust on the engine. what i think you are referring to as the starter is actually the alternator and it looks to be in bad shape. you also may have to replace some of those pulleys. they look rusty and will eat up belts pretty quickly.

i dont know that i would have purchased this boat but congrats on the new addition and BE SURE TO DO A LAKE TEST BEFORE YOU PAY ANY MORE MONEY. trust me that are many issues a boat can have that only become apparent on the the water. }

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Super clean boat! The black powder could be that the belt is just old and not misaligned. Those guide poles need to be moved to the back of the trailer. It does not help with them mounted in front of the fenders.

By KEVIN (kko13) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 1:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i see the belt dust to. you need to remove the pulleys sand blast and paint them the rust on them acts like sand paper and will shorten your belt life for sure. you need to clean the flame arrestor its full of belt rubber. also i see signs of leaking on the risers gaskets you need to replace these (cheap and easy) before they get worse and start leaking internally and when this happens it will not be cheap or easy to repair.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 9:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kevin - Thank you! Can you tell me more about the riser gaskets please? Where are they located, what is their proper name (so I can find replacement please).

Alan - I was assured the two previous owners knew each other and it was only used on rivers/lakes in Wisconson. I thought that bit of rust looked pretty innocent...can you tell me more please? All-in-all I thought I was getting a pretty good deal with very minor, fixable issues. Can you tell me why you feel I shoudl've kept looking? And BTW I will be keeping the Holley for a while for sure, and will keep the pylon untill I have am able to put in the tower. You're right, it would be GREAT to be able to remove that.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR COMMENTS! I really appreciate them all and would be happy to chat more with anyone! So far I only have a deposit, so we'll see how she runs. If the power is there, if we feel no vibes or sounds at high speeds or while accelerating, I think we should be fine.

The alt (doh can't believe I made a newb comment already) isn't expensive, the pullies I can fix.

By nEwJ_HoSeR (tinytdubb) on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
THe interior is sweet! My only question is, what is that open hose sticking straight up?

By schooledrider (rmcronin) on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's the way to go! More money for gas and that will have a great wake. Get rid of those goofy racks on the floor for sacs and you're all set. Start saving for perfect pass and a tower, but as is will rock your lake this summer. I started out in a 17' glastron for 2 years, went to a mastercraft prostar for 7 years and this will be our 5th summer with our supra launch SS. I've ridden behind the same hull you're buying and it has a great wake that you can weight the crap out of.

By Norco_Boarder (bill_sloan) on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think it's a pretty good deal for your first wakeboat. I would of jumped on it if I was in the market. I prefer to have some minor fixing to do on any vehicle just so I get to know it inside and out. Just get a tower and PP and get rid of that cassette player and you should have a really damn nice set up.

By trace (trace) on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 6:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks great. That is a killer hull, and those are really the best open-bow option for the money. Very deep hull that can take a lot of weight, and IMO throws a lot better wake than the Maristars.

That hose sticking up is coming right off the tranny cooler, so the incoming cooling line is disconnected somehow. By the orientation of it, it looks like something has been removed. Make sure that's buttoned up before taking it out.

By trace (trace) on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 6:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks like the hose coming out of the raw water cooling pump is also cut / disconnected.

Interior looks original and in great shape - a sign it's been stored indoors, and hopefully wood rot has been kept at a minimum.

By nacho (denverd1) on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The separator is off the hose tranny cooler hose. First off, congrats on the boat. looks normal for a boat of that age, actually pretty damn good. That engine is solid and it should make a good wakeboat.

The glass bowl setup right above the tranny is a fuel/water separator. The outlet has been taken off the hose right above the tranny cooler, the 2" cylinder with hose sticking up from it. That hose/separator/tranny cooler are all part of the cooling system and need to be fixed before you get on the water. Or fire it again, personally.

Also, check the thermostat housing, there's a hose that comes off to the right, can't tell if its connected or not from the pics. maybe snap a pic of the front/right corner of the engine.

sweet ride, congrats.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 6:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey all thanks again! It's nice to get some more validation. :-) Just FYI to all the boat is in a winterized state and has many hoses, belts, plugs/bolts disconnected.

Honestly, I don't even know much about winterizing an inboard - the i/o we just drained oil and put in antifreeze and we were pretty much done.

The owner said he will clean-up inside and out as well as get the engine ready for summer in the next month. He will then walk us through his set-up process before we test-drive. I'll have to make a list of what he does. :-)

So I'm assuming that a lot of things people are seeing are just disconnected - if you are seeing something else that is really missing/wrong, please let me know!!!

By nacho (denverd1) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 6:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
don't do anything with the carb until you have to. like alan said, rebuild it for $50. or have someone do it if you're not confident you can get it back together. not difficult BTW.

makes sense on the loose hoses. If he'll wait and show you whats going on, you'll have a leg up on winterizing it.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Can anyone tell me what he's looking at? :-)

<<By KEVIN (kko13) on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 1:14 pm:

i see signs of leaking on the risers gaskets you need to replace these (cheap and easy) before they get worse and start leaking internally and when this happens it will not be cheap or easy to repair.>>

Please give me some more to go on here - laymens terms!

By nacho (denverd1) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
pic 1/2. the black metal triangular shape things that stick up (highest point) on the engine are exhaust manifolds and manifold risers. there's a white line from a smalle leak where the riser and manifold meet. Honestly, i wouldn't worry about that.

it could also be this:
Upload
There's four 5/8" bolts that hold the riser/manifold to the cylinder head. Check to see if they tighten up any. If not, I'd consider replacing the gasket b/w the cylinder head and the riser in the not too distant future. How much damage it will cause if you don't is debatable, but I wouldn't run it for a full season like that.

By Mike K (mike2001) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Your experience sounds alot like mine when buying my 88 ski nautique, my 1st boat. The seller took great care of it, knew everything about it, and offered to help with any of the minor issues. Definitely looks well kept for its age. Have fun

By Andy Parsons (sanddragon2004) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
black crud on the intake is most likely from the rusty alternator pulley wearing on the belt and turning that belt to fine dust that gets sucked into the screen, look at the base of teh fuel pump looks like the same residue, very nice looking boat! looks like you will get years of use out of it! those pcm 351s go for ever if you take care of them!

i had one with 1900hrs on it with no rebuilding!

By Steve (olskooltige) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks good. That isn't much rust at all, not even enough to worry about. The pulleys are also in good shape. The only one I would change is the one on the alt. That is just a little surface rust on the others, and on the other areas of the engine.

denverd: I don't think that white is any residue. If there is water making that stain he has some serious other issues. Water shouldn't be passing anywhere near that area. That looks more like a part of the head mounting surface with a bad reflection. The manifold to head mounting/gasket is actually up from that area. It is not visible in that photo except for a small sliver in the arrowed picture. If water DID make that marking, then save the engine is ok, the entire manifold and riser assly should be changed. If that was water, the engine would be ruined. Water should be contained from the exhaust until it gets through the riser so it cannot be pulled back into the cylinder head.

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on March 24, 2008)

By nacho (denverd1) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i dont see anything to worry about either. rust happens, especially on 20 yr old boat, mine included. I guess my arrow is bit short of what i was pointing out - looks like rusty manifold peeking out from behind the hose. although, I'm not really sure that's what kevin (kko) was originally talking about... looks like its in good shape to me.

I should take a pic of my intake manifold to show how it COULD look and still run. the NEW one got 8 coats of white paint on the underside this weekend BTW.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 1:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Post from a friend:

<<Hi Mike,
I asked a friend (definite motor head) to look at your boat pictures and he said its in nice condition, but these are the things he would
consider:

The air filter (black more then likely indicates that its too small for the motor and is running rich/using more gas) but an air filter isn't terribly expensive and it looks to him like you would have room to put a larger one on it.

The belts aren't there?? Concern if they ran the motor for you with no belt on the water pump or alternator - hopefully they didn't run it long because it would heat up fast without the water pump working and could cause some real damage.

The old school distributor cap will make it a little touchy with moisture. Couldn't tell from the photos but do you know if its got an injection module inside the distributor or if its points (points and old style distributor do make it a motor that will require regular tweaking and annual tune ups) It would be less touchy if it has the injection module inside the distributor.

The white on the alternator just indicates moisture accumulated there.
He asked if it was ever run in salt water.

Said the condition of the wood, upholstery and cosmetics looked great.

Talk to you later>>

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 1:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My reply: Hey there! Thanks for the comments!

Air filter - It did run a bit rich. When he was starting it, it puffed a little cloud of black smoke. But he said it doesn't burn or leak any oil. Advice to change filter taken!

Belts/hoses - The boat it winterized now. We only ran it for about 10 seconds. There are many belts, hoses, plugs/bolts that are disconnected right now.

Distributor - I don't really know anything specific about distrib caps, but the wires and condition of the distributor I THINk tells me it is somewhat new. It wouldn't be too hard to change out either. I definitly want to have it tuned up for optimal gas consumption!

Carb - I was told the carb looks like it could be rebuild for $50 but otherwise should be fine. The owner said it was fine.

Alt - I don't know why the alt is like that, but I was assured it wasn't run in salt.

Thanks!!
M

By Ryan (bremsen) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 5:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pretty nice looking boat. Looks well cared for. Here is my offering to your post and [potential] new boat:

-Skidim.com. They will be your saving grace, not only for parts but for info as well. I learned a lot about my boat just by browsing the parts.

-That is a flame arrestor, not an air filter. It will only filter large particles since boats don't see much dust when running. Its mostly to prevent a backfire from igniting fumes in the bilge.

-You can see the riser leaks best in the second pic. Look at 1 and 6 o'clock from the carb. See those white streaks on the black things that attach to the exhaust? That is water leaking. External is one thing but, if its left untouched and there is an internal leak water can flow back into the cylinders possibly hydro-locking the motor.

-The white thing with clear plastic cup is the raw water strainer (not water/fuel). It just filters large particles before the water is circulated through the engine and out the exhaust. Looks like they just disconnected it to winterize. I actually don't see a fuel/water seperator/filter on yours, but they weren't always installed on early boats.

-That boat will have points, unless the prev owner installed electronic ignition (ask).

Take a look at this:
http://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/2001.htm

Its for CCs but much of it applies to all old boats. Be especially wary of soft stringers. I've seen a Supra stringer job and it makes the CC stringer replacment look like an oil change.

Good luck!

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Got some more comments:

<<Mike, Comments seem positive overall. Might need to replace the exhaust/riser gasket, but would need to see if there is any external leakage first. If there is internal leakage the engine would miss because there would be water going into one of the cylinders.

Engine looks good overall. Boat engines stay pretty clean so it is easy to see leakage points.>>

Right on the money!

Also I was emailed: <<Plus, if you have water in the cylanders you are screwed. Over. Engine will sieze like…..stuff that siezes up. :-( >>

Good stuff!

I was thinking that I should post some helpful links I have found. Will do later. Also have a few more pictures I can post. :-)

Ryan: Thanks for the info about flame arrestor and raw water strainer. The boat DOES have electronic ignition installed by previous owner, I was told. I was very paranoid of stringer issues. I like the info about storage history, and I also checked floors and engine mounts. THANK YOU!

(Message edited by wakemikey on March 26, 2008)

(Message edited by wakemikey on March 26, 2008)

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Great looking boat...I have an 87' Sunsport as well and love it! My colors are a little different though.

Upload
Upload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
---Sorry To Hijack---
Dennis that boat is F-ing sweet I love it Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my 91 Sunsport but it's nowhere close to being that nice . . . The pics of mine make it look a lot better than it actually is

Upload
Upload

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the the kind words Montgomery...the only thing I don't like is all the damn teak that always seems to need oil!haha

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah but it sure looks good when it's all oiled up :-)

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on March 26, 2008)

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 6:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow both of those boats are amazing! I've been searching like heck and haven't seen either before - thanks for posting!!! And don't worry about hijacking, it's for all to enjoy. How about this: please tell us more about your experience w/ the SunSport? Good wake? Surf? Does the deeper V cause any issues like difficulty hauling or launching? Sometimes I think this boat is so BIG!!!

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't do any surfing I just wakeboard and skate . . . With a good front-middle-rear weight ratio it throws a Great wake I am almost done with my ballast install I've plumbed in front and rear ballast and I have 2 side sacs so I'm gonna have a total of about 1600lbs of ballast not including people (600 under the playpen 400 in the rear locker and 2-300 side sacs) lat year I only ran about 600 total + 4 people and the wake was still pretty good as for hauling and launching I've never had a problem with it besides it being too heavy to haul with my 4runner but that's only because we have so many damn hills around here Overall I absolutely love it I have no complaints at all and it's the same hull as the old Direct Drive Supra Launch

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well, it is a real heavy boat I'll tell you that. I have a 2006 dodge ram 4x4 and I can def. feel it when I'm pulling it. But I've never had any issues with launching or anything like that. As far as the wake...I've never had any ballast in it before, so its not the best with nothing. But its def. not a ski wake. I'm working on getting some ballast in there this summer but I just put a tower on it and bought some speakers so they have to be cheap. As far as the surf wake I have nothing to compare it to but I think its an ok wake.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dennis, I remember a while back you were talking about going with a monster tower is that what you decided on ?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
No, I ended up getting a typhoon by CMC. Its def. not the coolest looking tower but it has two built in racks and I found it on wakeworld for $350! and got 2 6x9 tower speakers for $50 then i'm in the middle of making my own cans for 2 more 6.5" tower speakers. I don't have a picture of the tower yet but I'm very happy with how it turned out considering how much I paid!

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yeah you can't beat that especially with built in racks . . . I went with the polished tower from DIYWake.com and it came with a free rack not too bad of a deal I've seen those Typhoon towers before have you tried it out yet ?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
No haven't tried it yet, I just put it on last week and its sleeting out right now! So it'll be a few more weeks. It looks and seems to be real solid.

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Did you use any backing for the tower legs? The manual for the typhoon said if the glass is 3/8" thick or thicker you don't need any and all mine was 3/8" and some was 1/2" so I didn't use any...however the legs did come with a plate that was like 2.5"x4.5" or so. think I should be ok?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I haven't installed mine yet it's getting installed this weekend . . . Mine came with the backing plates as well but we are gonna go ahead and add a 1/2" thick piece of plywood to each mount just to be safe . . . I think you'll be fine the only reason I'm gonna do it is because I seem to have to worst luck with everything so I figured what the hell :-) What kind of drill bit did you use ?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
1/2" DEWALT I bought it brand new costed around $25

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
was it a special kind for drilling fiberglass ?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
No it wasn't for fiberglass.... I think it said it was an "industrial" drill bit. It was really the only opition for 1/2" that wasn't for concrete. I got it Farm and Fleet not sure if you have those down there tho.

By Tony (tride) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice boat, I have one. Good cheap way 2 get into the sport.

how do you down size pictures?

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Home Depot/Lowes. I would drill a pilot hole first (1/4-5/16) so the drill bitt does not walk on you.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony, if you have adobe software you should be able to right click on the image file and got to edit and resize that way or if you want you can e-mail em to me and I'll put em on here or ya

You have to run it in reverse at a slow speed too don't you ?

By nacho (denverd1) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
standard drill bits in forward rotation will work for bolt holes.
holes saw needs to run in reverse for the first few seconds until you get a nice groove, then you can go forward. mask off any hole saw spots to keep from splintering the glass.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
When I cut all the holes for my ballast like for the intake and vents I used the ole hole saw and didn't screw anything up so hopefully I wont screw this up :-) I'm gonna stay sober for all the measuring and planning and then I'll have to have a beer or 12 to drill the holes

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Haha...I like your style!

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
if anything it will make for an interesting day

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 6:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony - Here is a web-based image resizer. http://resizr.lord-lance.com/ Pick the side of your picture that is longer/taller and set the size to 1025. So if it's a tall pic, set height to 1025. Hope that helps! Or else, in any pipc editing software, choose "resize image", then set the pixel width/height to 1025.

Hey all! Any more SunSport pics out there? Wake? Riding? lets see 'em...

BTW some have commented that these boats are heavy...not the case! My older SunSport is lighter than the newer models, but mine only weighs 2225lbs. Many older SN2001 or MC S&S are around 2400. This is in the ~20' range. Also, my model only drafts something like 22". Newer (larger and heavier) models draft around 24" - 26" which is the same as any other brand.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 6:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony's Pics
Upload
Upload
Upload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 6:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dude that's a sweet boat You and Dennis have the good looking blue color scheme . . . I Likey :-)

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 6:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Great pics Tony! Any pics out there of wakes and there ballast break down?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 6:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm looking to add some ballast and I'm not sure how much I'm going to need to make a differance.

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 6:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
awesome boats!!!

By Tony (tride) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thank's Mont,
I'm also looking to put a auto ballast system in this summer, Still have 3 feet of snow on the ground. Can't wait to get the boat out. I picked up this boat at the end of summer last year, put on the tower, and put in some fat sac's. Only got to use it for about a month.
Very nice boat's for old school!

By Tony (tride) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
seeing if this works, thank's WakeMikeyUpload

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
how did your tower install go Tony? how did you get to the back 2 legs? did you use any backing plates?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I will be completely done with my ballast this weekend everything is done minus one thru-hull and then the cleanup . . . I'll be posting pics on Sunday

By Andrew"Jet"Mitchell (andrewjet) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Best boat for the $ man..Great buy!

By Tony (tride) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Over all the install was not that bad, 2 of use did the install, take your time and make sure it's centered.
I cut holes in the side panel under the vinyl and teak sides panels to get to the back legs. I just used the backing plates that came with the tower. It's holding up just fine no cracking in the gel coat.
What I like most about the sun sport is the room it has for an older boat, the play pen is awesome.
Don't know if you can fine a better boat for size and wake for the price tag!!!

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm with you Tony huge inside!!! Love the play pen!!! I already installed my tower and I was going to cut a hole like but instead I took out the two closest speakers duct taped all the hardware to a soccet wrench and reached one arm through and then lined it up from the drilled hole....It worked ok, the first one took 3 hours to get and the second one only took 5min. I didn't put any backing besides what was with the tower either cause the glass was atleast 3/8" thick....makes me feel much better about it knowing that you did the same thing with no problems....any wake pics?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
also what speed and length are you guys riding at?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I ride at 75'/24 mph

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 7:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did some work on the boat today, got it started....and installed two tower speaker cans that I made myself out of pvc..there not the greatest but i'm happy with them.

Upload

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 7:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry the 2 middle speakers where the ones I made.Upload

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 7:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hell yeah dude that looks bad ass

By nacho (denverd1) on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dennis, Great lookin boat. Got the same tower.

i'd like to buff out my old boat at some point, but this is what I did today:
Upload
sorry for the crappy pic. I'll put more up later in the 351 thread.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Very Nice

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks guys, I ended up getting the tower and the 2 6x9 speakers for $400! It was a deal I couldn't pass up then the middle speakers were diy so they didnt cost much at all. and got the boat for around $8000 with 700 hours budget wakeboarding!!!

(Message edited by DenWbaseball on March 30, 2008)

(Message edited by DenWbaseball on March 30, 2008)

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
dang nacho...what you got cooken?

By nacho (denverd1) on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
ported heads, dual-plane intake manifold, custom (more trq) camshaft.

By Tony (tride) on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dennis looks good, I took out the pylon in my boat, it makes it a lot better for moving around.
Where did you get the tower from for $400.00?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 3:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
found it here on wakeworld! 350 for the tower 50 for the 6x9 speakers and cans.

By Tony (tride) on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice deal on the tower.
Dennis, do you have a picture of where you have your cd player mounted?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Haha....actually I still have the cassete player in there from 1987!haha But obviously I'm going to put a CD player in there before the season starts. And I'm prolly just going to mount it where the current cassette is at.....or will that not work?

By Tony (tride) on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't have anything in my boat, where is the cassette player mounted?
I can't see anyplace where it was at!

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you look at the fist pic I posted on this thread you can see it mounted under the dash and steering wheel on the left side.

By Tony (tride) on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I see,
I don't like that area, do you hit it getting in and out of the drivers seat?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
No I have never it it getting in and out of the chair....I'm not real crazy about that spot either but I don't know where else to put it...anyone else got any ideas?

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you search around there are other threads about Supra stereo placement. I think most people either mount it above the dash in a wather-proof box, or hang it near the factory mounting spot in an better orientation. I still have the factory radio too!!

Hey - For your stereos have you all kept your factory alternators?? Most budget-boarders I'm thinking would have a limited stereo - In the SunSport, I have four factory speakers and a stereo head unit.

I would like to add a small sub (10"x1) and a set of tower speakers. Nothing fancy, just enough for the rider to hear. Sorry not sure of the wattage I would even want! I was thinking 300 total watts for the tower.

So the Q: is this enough to keep one battery and the factory alt? Or am I going to need to replace the alt with something stronger to charge two batteries? Regardless of what I get, I will always keep an emergency jumpstart/booster battery pack in the boat.

By Tony (tride) on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 5:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mont,
Hows the ballast coming. post some pictures.

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 6:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm interested in the batt. issue too! Anyone have any advise?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well due to a bunch of rain this past weekend and not being able to fit the boat in my garage I wasn't able to completely finish it up but it is 99% complete so I should have it finished up tonight and I'll take some pics and post em

I'm running 2 batts in mine with an isolator so it charges both batts at the same and I haven't had any alt. issues yet

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Another question I have is if I store my boat outside for the season do I need speaker covers for the tower ones?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 8:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was going to get some of those tower speaker socks for mine but I don't know if that will be enough

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Did you get any pictures?

By Greg (elbastardo) on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks like this has kinda turned into a forum on older Sunsports. Here's mine. It's a '92. I've plumbed in ~750lbs in the back, and I've got some fat buddies for an optional extra 550.
Upload
Upload

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
great looken goat Greg. Any wake pictures?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg, sweet boat love the color scheme is my Sunsport the only one with the horrid pink and blue color scheme ? lol :-) Got any pics of your ballast ?

It's done nothing but rain all week it's always nice while I'm at work of course but as soon as it's time to go home it does nothing but rain fortunately I've been working under the cover and I'm all done with the ballast now so as soon as I can get to my boat when it's not raining I'll get some pictures

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg, Do you have front ballast ?

By Greg (elbastardo) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll try to get some wake pics if I make it out this weekend. I was lucky enough to find the black/grey color scheme--it originally had the turquoise logos on the side, but I removed them, sanded out the oxidation, now she looks like new. I don't have any ballast in the front. Usually people like to sit up there, and that's enough. I have found that the wake has a nicer peak and is a lot more poppy if I just load up the back. I've got one bag plumbed under the backseat (pro-x rear seat sack) and another that can sit in front of the backseat on the floor (pro-x tube sack) that are both fed by a single ballast puppy with a T. Each have separate valves and quick release fittings, so I can run with or without the sack on the floor, or I can move it to one side for surfing.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cool Cool sounds like a good setup do you have the stock prop ?

That's another thing I was gonna ask the rest of you have you guys upgraded your prop ?

By Greg (elbastardo) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I upgraded to the one suggested by ACME. Don't remember the number.

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not sure....I have what it came with and I'm not sure if its stock or not.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I probably need to upgrade mine with all this ballast but I'd like to find someone with the same boat that has upgraded theres already so I can just get the part # and order it instead of ordering multiple props and trying em out and sending em back until I find one that works well

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
This thread is the ultimate hijack!

By Tony (tride) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Montgomery,
I called acme and they gave me the part number for a lower pitched prop. They said it would be the one to run with sac's.
I'll have to get the part number when I get home.
I have not ordered it yet, but I will soon.

Waiting to see pix of your ballast set-up.
what type of pumps did you use?

this thread is the ultimate hijack! yes it is.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Awesome I'm gonna need a new prop pretty bad

I used the BW-85 simer pumps from beatlas it was a little under $160 for 2 pumps shipped

Pics coming very very soon hopefully tonight

By Tony (tride) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Acme part number 3 blade,
right hand #1442.
left hand #543

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I really don't mind at all as long as we're all sharing older SunSport tips, pics, and experiences. This is my first inboard, so I need all the help and friends I can get!

One month from tomorrow and I'll be ready to ride.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony, thanks man that's awesome I never really thought about just calling acme and asking their advice for some reason that never clicked in my head :-) Thanks again

We need to keep this thread going this is only like the 2nd older Sunsport thread (well it turned into an older Sunsport thread) I've seen on here

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
WakeMikey, My SunSport is my first inboard as well and it has been an awesome boat and I plan on keeping it for a very long time I absolutely love my boat even if it does have the horrid pink ass coloring

By Tony (tride) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mont, this is been a great thread. I Just order some teak oil so I can redo all my teak. I'll take before and after pix.
You need to do a nice write up with pix of your ballast system. When I get my boat out of storage that's my next task. We Still have alot of snow up North. Can't wait for it to go away!
Here's a pix of what my boat looked like when I got it. Had to take of the decalsUpload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hell yeah I love the old school color schemes I wish I had some pics of my boat before I stripped the decals lol it had 2 shades of pink and 2 shades of purple stripes it was absolutely hideous

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 5:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think thats what mine looked like before it was stripped.....I didn't strip it but you can tell if you look close form some minor fadding.

By Jaak Sildoja (vguy75) on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 5:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well, since this seems to have turned into an all-things old Supra thread, I figure I'd pose a few questions. Long story short, I'm looking for an older Supra Sunsport or something similar. Given the number of models that Supra made in the 80's and into the early 90's, and the general lack of literature / info online, the choice is somewhat confusing. Being from Canada, where there are only a handfull of wake/ski boats in the province, I'm trying to narrow my selection down prior to driving out of province / country to make a purchase. Here go the questions:
1. Did the Rider / Beast share the same hull as the Sunsport? I've read that they didn't. What's the difference if they don't?
2. Was the Rider / Beast the only models to have the aft facing seat on the doghouse (engine box)? Has anyone seen one in person? Did you like it?
4. Sunport windshield - what style do you guys prefer for driving - the early/mid 80's or late 80's early 90's with the mult-angle?
5. Which of the 19'-21' models come with big blocks? Do any of you feel that the extra power is required? Did they have a little more top-end or is it all holeshot?
6. Have any of you seen the "cuddy cabin" model(s) in person? If so, what are your thoughts? Could two 6'+ adults even come close to sleeping in there for a night? I know they made the Pirata and the Allegro, but I'm not certain if there is another model (ie. Bravura or is that just storage?)
7. Dual swivel seats vs. the aft-facing bench to port? Was it an option? Did only certain models have it?
8. Bravura - is this the comp hull stretched 1'-2' with a small storage space in the bow?
9. Marauder - how does this hull differ from the Sunsport? It seems like this hull came in closed bow, closed bow with small cuddy cabin and open bow configurations.
10. For those of you with Sunsport open bows - do you find water ever comes over the bow? I like to boat in the ocean a few days a year and don't want to worry about water coming in. It looks like it should have enough freeboard not to cause a problem.
11. Closed cooling - have any of you retro-fitted your boats to a closed cooling system?
12. Upgrading from manual to hydraulic wakeplate (trim tabs) - have any of you upgraded your manual wakeplates to hydraulic or looked into it? Is it worth it? Did you have to reinforce your transoms? On other forums there seems to be differing opinions on whether or not to reinforce them.
13. Stringer / floor rot - are there any pre '92 Supras that are more prone to rot than other models? Late last fall I looked at an '88 Marauder that has been shop (large steel barn with concrete floor) kept for the last 15 years and it appeared to be in good shape. Some mold on the bottoms of the rear-bench cushions, but that's about it. Wasn't sure if keeping it inside a closed atmosphere would be worse for rot, especially dry rot, or not. Your thoughts?
14. Wakes - What is the best all-around hull for skiing (70%) and wakeboarding (30%)? I'm leaning towards the Sunsport. Those of you that have one, how is the wake for skiing? Understand really good wake if weighted. Any weighted / non-weighted pics?
15. Does anyone know where to find pre '92 Supra literature / sales brochures online? I've looked, but haven't found anything. Seems to be a common issue.
16. If you're like me and craving some Supra action while waiting for the ice to melt, here you go...
http://wistreetscene.com/media/13014/3/1/1
Anyone else have any footage of their boats?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your info!

Cheers,

Jaak

By Andrew"Jet"Mitchell (andrewjet) on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Greg labastardo.."WE NEED PIC'S OF YOUR PLUMMING SETUP"!!!

By Greg (elbastardo) on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll post pics of my ballast ASAP.
Jaak-
1. A good place to compare hulls is on the New Dimension Towers website--they have pics of a lot of the old supras with their towers on them.
2. I have the curved windshield (1992), and it is a little annoying because of the way the curved part distorts the light as you look through.
3. I have plenty of power (351 engine), but could always use more. It doesn't crawl through the water, but also doesn't have the power of a newer Malibu or other wakeboat.
4. In choppy water, water can spray into the bow, but I've never submarined it like I have with other smaller open bow boats. Definitely sits high enough to ride in very choppy water.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 5:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jaak -

I really would like to TRY and keep this thread about SunSports. But I understand your need to get some questions answered, so it's okay and best of luck to you! I did consider a few other models of Supra in my searches.

It was my finding that the SunSport is one of the only models (and sorry but I don't know EVERY model that well) that had the higher sides and the higher bow. As far as I know all their other older models sat lower in the water, more like a mastercraft or nauqique 2001.

I looked at the Mariah the most. It is the most similar to the SunSport and the most commonly found besides the SS.

For engine size, unless your boat is 22' or longer I wouldn't even want anything larger than the 351cu" 240hp. Should be plenty for nearly all applications.

AS for cuddy cabins, I haven't ever boarded behind one, but personally I would stick to tried and trusted hull shapes if possible. Or test drive it.

When looking for an inboard for sale, it can sometimes be harder searching google and used boat websites (mostly) - see if you can find some dedicated inboard sites. try tmcowners.com or there are more, sorry I don't have my links at this pc.

If you are searching for message board posts about these boats, google for the most part won't find them. You need to search the message board of each site. Wakeworld, wakeboarder.com, iboats.com, tmcowners.com are my favorite message boards. I have more links again on another pc...

(Message edited by wakemikey on April 05, 2008)

(Message edited by wakemikey on April 05, 2008)

By Jaak Sildoja (vguy75) on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg,
Thanks for the info. New Dimension Towers website was useful to see. As for the curvred windshield, I wondered if that would have a '57 Chevyish effect on vision.

WakeMikey,
Thanks for the info. Didn't mean to detract from the Sunsport topic, just figured this might be a good time to post it here as this appears to be the most active thread that I've found in the last year or so while trying to locate info.
I thought about the Mariah, but I really want a lot of freeboard forward. I think only Sunsport, Beast, Rider and earlier Marauder models feature the high bow design.

As for cuddy cabins, some models appear to have them and share the benefit of a good hull design. Have a look...
Pirata - http://www.usedboats.com/powerboats/1988/22'-ft/skiers-choice/supra-pirata/waterski-boat-cuddy-cabin-performance/inboard/40356/604239.htm
Bravura - http://www.tridentmarina.com/site_page_305/item_193889.html?listing_page=listing_sum_index_1.html

I've been debating the pros/cons of an open bow vs. the practicality of the small cabin. I keep my boat in a marina, so I figure the cabin could be a good, somewhat secure, place to keep less expensive skis / boards / gear, rather than lugging stuff back and forth from home each time I want to ride.

Thanks for the sites. I'll check out iboats.com - I'd appreciate it if you could post the other links when you have a chance.

Has anyone had any luck contacting Supra for information on their pre-'91/'92 boats? I've tried a couple times and gave up.

Anyway, I'll move my questions to a new post "'81-'91 Supra Questions", for those who are interested so we can keep this post Sunsport related.

Cheers,

Jaak

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 5:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jaak - The Pirata looks nice. I would ask him how it was stored in winter and summer. Not always, but "new interior!" means "old interior got f'd when we left it sitting out for a month". Which means floor and stringer problems COULD follow. Not always. That 454 is gonna suck a ton o' gas.

I think the Bravura looks awesome! Again, though, how were the seats damaged? And the price is right, he'd probably come down a bit. Mine went from 8900 to 7500...

Have you been looking up book value on NADA.com?

By Dan (wake2wake103) on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
This is my 89 Supra Conbrio. We installed a Big air tower on it and have been extremely happy with it. The only problem we have had is with water coming over the extremely low bow. Upload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Finally got some pics today
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

By Tony (tride) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 5:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Monty,
can you explain how it work's with the simer pumps.
Do you have it set up with a fill and a drain plus a vent,
The sac in the back doesn't look like you use all 3 port's on the fat sac.
Thank's.

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 5:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Great job Monty!!! Have you had it out on the water since you installed it? Where is your water coming in from?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Both sacs have vent lines on the top with one way valves on them they fill and drain from the bottom hose I wired the pumps to be reversible with relays and SPDT switches

I haven't had it out in the water yet I used my homemade "fake a lake" and turned the water on full blast and that actually worked a lot better than I thought it would

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
also in the playpen we cutout the center divider and braced it with a 2x4 on each side

By Andrew"Jet"Mitchell (andrewjet) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
OK..now ya'll have me wanting to plumb my Supra. I want to plum my 89' Comp like Montgomery (Lovin the lake) A 750lbs in the back and a 400lbs in the nose. How can I get started? Where should I look? Jets

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
first of all you need to decide if you want to use simer pumps or aerator pumps if you use simer pumps you can get em for about $77 a piece shipped to you from be-atlas if you want to use aerator pumps I'd go with the Rule 1100 gph pumps Simers are reversible and can be mounted above the water line aerators have to be mounted below the water line and are not reversible so you would have 2 per sac as for all the fittings and hoses just go to lowes or home depot

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
by the way with that comp it would be sooooo easy to plumb the only problem I ran into on mine was plumbing the playpen everything else was cake

By Tony (tride) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
what was the problem with plumbing in the playpen?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
it was just kind of a bitch getting the 1" hose under the built in cooler and through the existing hole where the heater hoses go up under the dash on the drivers side but after I conquered that problem it was cake I was a little inebriated while attempting it though

By Tony (tride) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Monty,
do you have the rear sac sitting on your gas tank. Doesn't look like the plastic is in there.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah I took out the plastic compartment thing and covered all of the exposed bolts, screws, and everything else that looked like it could puncture the sac and sat in on top of the tank and filled her up

By Tony (tride) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why did you remove it?
just for more room?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yeah I had to take it out to get the sac in there and I'm in the process of making another one that will sit on top of the sac so I'll still have a little storage room back there

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What is under that plastic read compartment in your boats? Is there any structural support on top of the gas tank???

Tony where are you located? Those pics look like a great lake! MI? I used to live in Duluth, MN on Lake Sup! Hey that lighthouse tower in your pic? I jumped-started off a pier just like that once ~12ft! Fun...

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
there are no supports on top of my tank

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Mont - First thing I would do with my new ride would be to try and take out the back sun platform section and put my 700lb sac there w/ a pump (not auto omg).

Can you tell me how the divider came out? Didn't need any reinforcing? THANKS!

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
the divider in the playpen ?

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
no under the rear uhh...sun deck... :-)

Sorry...for your rear tank. On mine, that compartment is rather shallow and I assumed yours was too and that it was a divider you had to remove. /edit

Heck, AND the divider in the playpen! did you just saw it out? /edit

(Message edited by wakemikey on April 07, 2008)

(Message edited by wakemikey on April 07, 2008)

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i didn't have a divider in the rear just a removable plastic ski locker

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We cut out the divider and attached a 2x4 on each side for support . . . This pic was taken before we carpeted the 2x4's

Upload

By Tony (tride) on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
wakemikey, good call.
I live in the U.P. (Houghton Mi) Lake Superior.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mont - THANKS! Perfect. So you only needed one simer pump per sac, correct? Keep an eye out for leaks in your lines/connections as a precaution! Sorry for my typing up there...yikes...

Tony - Only once did we go more than a mile out into the main body of Lake Sup and board when it was dead calm. Riding around giant freight ships. One of the most incredible experiences....

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yup just one pump per sac

By KEVIN (kko13) on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
sorry mike here i hope this makes sense to you. they are called riser gaskets. they go between the riser and the manifold. cost would be under $20 for gaskets. to not replace them now would be FOOLISH!! I HOPE THIS PIC HELPS.Upload

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok so I'm about to sell my old boat and once I do I think the next thing I need to get for the boat is new tires and rims. So my question is what size and pattern are they and what size/load capacity should I get?.....at work and looking online.haha

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
well im not sure on the bolt pattern but my tire size is 205/75/14

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony, Dennis, Monty, Greg, Dan, other late 80s early 90s Supra owners... I still haven't seen any good wake pics or testimonial of how the wake rides! I saw a thread that has me worried now... That wake looks a bit teensy!

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=74989

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check this out
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/546327.html?1206807477

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's a damn good looking wake

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
"Joe Roth's Wake Pics" By the way I believe this bad @ss boat is still for sale
Upload
Upload

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well yeah I have seen that one. :-) :-) And I've already read many other posts from people who say the older SunSports DO have a great wake both for boarding and surfing. I just hate to hear bad reports. :-)

The only really good pics I've seen have been of the somewhat-newer SunSports like Monty and Greg have (90-92ish). They all seem to be a bit bigger in the belly and maybe a bit heavier than the 85-89s that Dennis, Tony and I have. Tony tell us more about your ride!

I'm sure they are really pretty similar, but that post makes me think that maybe at 89 they went to a different hull? That could be a big difference...

So I HAVE to see some 85-88 wakes!!! :-) Oh, BTW 23 days until I test drive and pick up my 87!

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh yeah I think you're right the hulls are slightly different I think the newer ones (early 90's) are a little deeper but I've seen some late 80's Sunsports with some fat wakes they were sac'ed out of course but . . . . . . You'll be happy with it for sure When I first got mine I went w/o sacs for the first month and just put my wake plate all the way up to drop down the ass end of the boat and the wake was decent like that too nothing to brag about but decent

By Graham (bigkitch) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
well heres my 85 comp TS6M.

jsut put the motor back to original, tranny re and re, rub rail (not shown in picture), new carpet, and a good polish! so now shes ready for some action.Upload
Upload

By Graham (bigkitch) on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
heres anotherUpload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 7:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Damn Dude that thing is clean How's the wake on it ?

By Greg (elbastardo) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's my ballast setup:
ballast puppy mounted under floorboards under middle rear seat. Left top accessible for easy impellar replacement. Plastic cover goes over this hole, and bag sits on top of that.
Upload
Under starboard rear seat. Connection to rear seat sack. I cut out the dividers between the seats so the sack could fit. The dividers are not structural. I actually cut them out with a box cutter.
Upload
Connection for extra sack under port rear seat. Hose feeds through a hole I drilled in the base of the seat. Quick disconnect for this optional sack. It can be placed behind the engine for wakeboarding, or it can be placed along the side of the engine for surfing. Each sack has it's own pvc ball valve and quick disconnect.
Upload
Upload
Used a scoop thru hull to feed the pump. Pump is wired to a rocker switch in the front.
I thought about adding a sack to the rear locker, but the plastic insert didn't seem strong enough to support 300-400 lbs. And I don't feel comfortable placing that much weight directly on the gas tank.
This give about 750 in the rear with both sacks. We rode yesterday with just the seat sack full (350-400 lbs) plus 4 people in the boat, and the wake was actually pretty good for such little weight.

By SS (illini88) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What sack do you use? Is it a tube sack?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Very Nice

By Greg (elbastardo) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pro-x bags are great. I use a rear seat sack under the seat. I can't fill it all the way, but a tube sack isn't enough to maximize the space under the seat. I figure it holds 350-400 lbs. I use a tube sack for the optional sack on the floor, although any sack with the right dimensions would work.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dennis and Tony any wake pics? Here's a couple more of mine just to keep things fun. 20 days for me now!Upload
Upload
Upload

By Tony (tride) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 5:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't have any pix of the wake. The wake is small with out sac's. I have not been on any other inboard's to compare wake's. Sac it and the wake get's alot better then with out.
I have around 500 under the playpen and 400 in the ski locker and 150lbs fat brick's on each side by the back seat.

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 5:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yea, no pictues here either....and I don't have any ballast so its nothing to special.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 6:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm going out this weekend so if the water isn't nasty mud ass anymore I'll fill up the sacs and take some wake pics

By Ryan (newty) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 7:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks like a good boat if someone is interested.
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/641035395.html

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 9:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Either way, weight or no, I still need to see what she's capable of!!! Please post anything ya've got!

I'm riding an I/O (1976 Glastron 17' 135hp) now and that is under knee high but crisp. Can get about chest high airs, can go 3-5 feet into flats. Can't land inverts but can land 360s, etc.

Please describe the stock 80's SunSport wake in detail if possible! :-)

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Okay I promised I would post some of my links - they are all on my work PC (hah!)

Supra links:

-Monster Tower Supra pictures (awesome!)
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.monstertower.com/customerphotos/Images/Supra---Lars-Contzen.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.monstertower.com/customerphotos/Supra.htm&h=339&w=794&sz=65&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=26c3TIoEwf-mEM:&tbnh=61&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522supra%2Bsunsport%2522%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

-Youtube wake video
http://chattwake.proboards106.com/index.cgi?board=supra

-late 80s Supra Discussion
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=71400&highlight=supra

-More late 80's discussion
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=70376&highlight=supra

-Show me your SunSport
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/332210.html#POST680158

-80's Mariah conversion
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/boat2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php%3Ft%3D50061&h=616&w=816&sz=207&hl=en&start=53&tbnid=J97wEUj9LTWzBM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=144&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522supra%2Bsunsport%2522%26start%3D36%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

-85 SunSport pics and review
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=42906&highlight=sunsport

-Supra 351 winterizing q's
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=42906&highlight=sunsport

-Tower discussion
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=881&KW=boat+and+lift

-86 upgrade thread
http://supraboats.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1887&highlight=sunsport&sid=21c258e8a5137fe39e6b452cc64201b4

-93 SS thread
http://supraboats.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1490&highlight=sunsport

-stringer replacement q's
http://supraboats.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=396&highlight=sunsport

-MonsterTower instal pics
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=19299&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

-01 launch pics
http://www.wakepics.com/video/9832/2001-supra-launch-for-sale

-Discount wake surfing
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/559019/470062.html

-early spring set behind 90 SS
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/317264.html

-taking out rear seat and adding tank in SS
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/322389.html

-Really great newer Supra pics thread
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/259249.html

-Best older boats thread
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/172721.html#POST361846

-Team MasterCraft Forums and Classifieds
http://www.tmcowners.com/market/index.php?cat=1

-Correct Craft Fan classifieds and forums
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/searchresults.asp?Forsale=Yes

-Midwest forums
http://midwestwakeboarder.com/

-2001 forums and classifieds
http://www.the2001.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=4&sid=bf732b542801822a131512548b606b15

(Message edited by wakemikey on April 14, 2008)

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Message boards (best of)

http://www.malibuboatowners.com/forums/

http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/

http://www.minnesotawakeboarder.com/modules.php?name=Video_Stream&page=watch&id=8&d=1

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

http://trailerboats.com/

http://www.wakeboatworld.com/

http://www.waterskisforum.com/

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Montgomery that is a clean boat, what is the long sac that you have in the way back and how much does that one weigh?

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://supraboats.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1887&highlight=sunsport&sid=21c258e8a5137fe39e6b452cc64201b4

so sick

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 6:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok so this is kinda a dumb question.....I'm looking into getting some ballast but I just realized my ciglighter doesn't work, can I just cut the cig adaptor off a pump and wire it directly to the batt.?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 7:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Simon, Thanks :-) it's the Pro X Series Tube Sac it says 370+ lbs the guy I talked to at Fly High told me it gets close to 440lbs when completely full

By nacho (denverd1) on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 7:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Damn that supra in Simon's link looks good. lots of creative upgrades.

Dennis, cut that plug off and wire it up! 12 volts is 12 volts.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Duplicate post

(Message edited by wakemikey on April 22, 2008)

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm liking that handle that's sweet

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It's also really really really easy to rewire the ciggy lighter so it works right again...

I really like the SunSport in the link above. My favorite part is how he makes the pockets in the side of the interior like newer boats have. So kewl! I wonder how he did all of those steps...I would never cut into my boats sides! :-)

12 days till my boat comes home!

New board and bindings...

UploadUpload

What do you all think of this handle? It's the first carbon that I really think will be a great piece of gear to get. 17"

Upload

Hey it's my post I'll be off topic if I feel like it! ;)

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hmmm well I'll say it again . . . . I'm liking that handle that's sweet

By Tony (tride) on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
swim deck,
before,
Upload
after,
Upload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
damn dude how many toys do you have ?

By Tony (tride) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gotta have toy's,
I'm getting my boat out next week.
Going to install a heater, I'll post some pix.

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
nice........ has anyone heard of putting spray-on bedliner on their swim deck?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did it on mine but I used the roll on stuff you get at the auto parts stores

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I also I have another question...... I bought a 1987 Supra Sunsport and I have two 450 lbs sacs and two 700lbs sacks, can anyone draw me a picture as to where I should place them? (I think we're gonna build them into the boat)

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
image/bmpUpload
boat.bmp (110.9 k)

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
monty that looks awesome, mine looks like tony's what did you use fill it in?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mine is a fiberglass platform here is teak platform with liner on it
Upload

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
niiiice....... who's is that?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't remember the guys name but it does look good . . . theres another guy on here with a black and blue MC (i think) and he lined his teak platform and it looks F-ing awesome if I had teak I would do the same thing

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hmmm....how much did that cost to do? if you don't mind me asking? I think it would look cool it if all the teak was done like that....what are you guys thoughts?

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am gonna do that fo sho! I know that they have that roll on bed liner at advanced auto parts..... could you use that on the teak platform?

(Message edited by BURBERRY03 on April 23, 2008)

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used the roll on herculiner it was like $80 for the kit and I put 3 coats on it took about 3 hours and a 1/2 case of beer :-)

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hahaha.....

By George Bugg (gbugg19) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heres my 87 saltare so far I have put heads,cam, and intake on the motor. Had custom cover built and recovered a few seats. Right now I am refinishing all of the Teak.
[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/gbugg19/boat011.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/gbugg19/boat014.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/gbugg19/boat015.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/gbugg19/boat016.jpg[/IMG]

By George Bugg (gbugg19) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Can anyone tell me whats behind the upholstry on my dash. Have seen the regular black billit trim but mine has some pad. Is the trim under the pad?

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wish i knew too..

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok I have a platform ? Mine is a little lose on one side....when you step on it it kinda gives a little and doesn't seem real sturdy so I'm want to fix it and I'm pretty sure I need to from the inside. I was thinking of putting a board on the inside and bolt to that for more support....my question is with the gas tank there can i get to it...I cann't tell cause of the wood above the gas tank and I don't want to remove that if I won't be able to get to it anyway.....

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
pretty sure the gas tank is gonna be right there; just from looking at mine;

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone have any ideas on how to weight a 1987 supra sunsport?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So what should I do to tighten it up? any ideas?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dennis, On my Sunsport the brackets are accessible from inside the ski locker my tank is just barely out of the way so it must be a little different than yours

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is the ski locker the little "trunk" in the back?haha cause I can see in and there is what appears to be a little gap (2") between the tank and the wall of the boat, so it seems like they are the same....so I should be able to take out that peice above the tank and get to it....

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah trunk is more like it . . . Ski locker my ass :-) Yeah it sounds like it's pretty much the same so you should be able to reach in there and tighten it up

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
sweet, now I just need to figure how I can remove that piece of wood with carpet on it and get it back in without destroying it, I'm on a time frame cause I'm getting sent back to St. Croix for 4 weeks for work. Will miss out on all May riding!!!!!!!!!! NOT COOL!

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mine just has (well had) a removable plastic compartment that went in the "trunk" . . . That sucks about missing out on riding . . that's a bitch

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
mine has a board with carpet that is connected to all sides...there is like 4 vents down there for the gas tank thats how I know it looks like your, looks like I'm going to have to do some destroying and then rebuilding!haha O-well

By corey mosley (da_mose) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is a few pics of my old blue she’s an 88 with 500 hrs on here I added the tower new carpet and striped the stickers last year.

Upload
Upload
Upload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
wow that things in BADASS condition That's F-ing sweet . . . Are you sure it's an 88 ?

By corey mosley (da_mose) on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heck yeah it is I spent four days buffing the hull and cleaning the interior when I had it ripped apart to install new carpet. This old boat has always lived inside and only been in fresh water I am only the second owner I got her is 05.

By Tony (tride) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
corey, nice work!

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wakeboard-Ski-Boat-1605lb-Launch-Pad-Fat-Sac-Pump_W0QQitemZ150234180442QQihZ005QQcategoryZ15272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So will this be to much weight not enough....will I be able to distribute it to make a good wake?

Love the boat man!!! Where do you have your CD player mounted?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
the CD player is probably mounted in the passenger side "glove box" thing . . . I didn't realize the 88 was the first year for the big changes I thought 89 was the first year they made the changes but then again yours is the first 88 I've ever seen and apparently 91 is the year they decided to put the horrid pink colors on :-(

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on April 25, 2008)

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dennis, you will definitely have enough weight with that setup You can play with it a little (hee hee) and figure what shape of wake you want I'd start with 1 440 on each side of the engine pushed up against the back seat and the 725 in the bow that would give you a more rampy wake than a peaky wake or take out the "trunk compartment" put the 725 back there 1 440 in the bow and 1 440 in front of the back seat (horizontal) that would give you a pretty decent not too peaky not too rampy wake

By Graham (bigkitch) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
if i put that in my comp it would friggen sink! i like my flat wake, great for slalom runs :>:>

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was thinking of either putting the two smaller ones up front and the 725 in the "trunk". I know the boss will not approve if I have to have bags laying all over the floor.

By Tony (tride) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dennis,
look at the flyhigh sac's, they have a playpen sac that fit's under the front seat, it's out of the way. They also have one that fit's in the ski locker, it's also hidden.

How many gallon gas tank is in the 1986 sunsport.
Just want to know how much it's going to cost to filler up

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
that's what I have, the FlyHigh Tube Sac and the FlyHigh Bow Sac

By corey mosley (da_mose) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I put two 550 LBS fat sacks on one on each side of the motor and one 200 LBS sake behind the motor and it puts my swim step about two inches under water with a full tank of gas and my old Supra throw’s a huge wake.

But if I want to go really big I ride behind my parent’s boat.

Upload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What no tower ? :-)

By cmosley (da_mose) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nope my dad opted for the four blade and more ballast.

Upload

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
is that the northwestern?haha So with no weight up front did you have a hell of a time planing? Any pictures of you wake man?

(Message edited by DenWbaseball on April 25, 2008)

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
lol that's f-ing hilarious what were the ballast options 20,000lbs to 40,000lbs . . . . That thing is Badass that's what my parents need

By cmosley (da_mose) on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry Mike we kinda got off the subject, you got a sweet old Supra that just needs a little love.

If you run into any problems and need some advice let me know.

Corey

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 5:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Corey - Post a wake pic (of the Supra geez) and all is forgiven! :-) Hey and that New Dimension tower looks great.

ONE WEEK till we pick her up omg so excited. Got my federal tax refund woohoo tower here I come. And god knows I hate Bush but thank you federal stimulus package! You can stimulate me anytime, federal economy! hahah

By George Bugg (gbugg19) on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 6:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey guys if anyone is looking for a good deal on an old supra I got one and it is ready to go. Monster tower and some serious engine mods. It is listed in the classifieds. Let me know if you are interested.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 9:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yea those towers are sweet I wanted one bad but I'm a cheap ass

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 5:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dennis I've got a 725 Launch Pad that I got last season, along with the Uber pump. Here's the downlow: in 2006 they weren't making the sacs with the "quick release valve." I would recommend a 2007 or 2008 model, otherwise you've got to screw and unscrew the pump from the launch pad / drain tube every time you fill and empty. Just FYI since many shops still have older models at a discount. Let me know if that's not clear. :-)

Otherwise it's a super great sac, very thick and the outer shell is also very very thick, no puntures. This thing really holds a lot of water, you can lay down on it and it's about 5' long. Really big. I'm not even sure if it would FIT in the ski locker!! I'll be able to check, though - next Sunday she's comin home!

So I am STILLLL debating Monster Tower vs Titan. I really really hate Titan AND wakeside's webpages and the lack of photos, customer testimonials, as well as detailed descriptions, god just everything is so poorly done. It's very hard to learn info and such. I can't even find a pic of the Titan collapsing to know if it fits under a boatlift, the standard cover, etc. Monster has that animated pic RIGHT ON THE HOMEPAGE. Uggh.

Anyways sorry for the rant. I think the Titan folds by having the rear legs detach, and then the whole thing just lays down over the winshield/open-bow area. How dumb is that. Like I want that thing laying up there. The Monster Tower lays completly flat and fits under my standard cover. I mean I LOVE the look of the Titan, I LOVE the custom fit, but that's not practical for me.

George, looked at your boat, it looks very clean but I've never heard of that model. Want to share any more history or wake description? :-)

By George Bugg (gbugg19) on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 5:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
IT is a 23' boat and the wake without any weight is pretty nice. I have never weighted it but there is no telling what the potential is with a little weitght.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mikey, are you looking at the original monster tower or the MT2 ? Either way I would pick the Monster just for the simple fact that I have never hear any complaints about any monster tower (that was installed correctly) they're also a very stand up company and stick behind their products just my .02

By Greg (elbastardo) on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Mikey,
I have no experience with Monster towers, but the titans are badass. They are rock solid, made of steel rather than aluminum. They do lay over the windwhield, but they lay plenty low, so it would not be a problem fitting anywhere. I originally wanted to go with the Titan for my boat, but based on the mounting recommendations by Titan, I didn't think I had room for the mounting plates. I eventually went with New Dimension as they are made specifically for your make and model of boat, and I think they look better than Monster or Titan.

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 6:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey guys, we just got a Supra last weekend and this weekend a couple of my friends, my dad, and I installed the tower in the snow;
thought I would post up the pics.... cant wait to go on the water when this snow leaves!

Upload
Upload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 7:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Simon, is that a DIYWake tower ?

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
its by fluid concepts

http://www.fluidconcepts.net/pages/universal.shtml

I was really happy with how the tower looked on the boat!

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
oh yea they're basically the same thing I have one on mine you can't beat em for the price

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
thats for sure!!!! Just looking for black speakers and racks now....... cant wait to get rid of this snow either.

know of any good deals on speakers and racks?

By Andrew"Jet"Mitchell (andrewjet) on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok resized now. REPRESENTIN McKinney,Tx/Supra!Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow that is one clean engine...you do it yourself?

By Andrew"Jet"Mitchell (andrewjet) on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 1:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes! No one touches my baby. That is called "winter boredem" Notice the custom matching carb! Thanks!

By J Wilson (illkid) on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's a pic from behind Corey's old blue from 2 summers ago. Think we were running about 1200# or so that day.
Upload

By cmosley (da_mose) on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Jeff thats the Pic I was looking for.

By cmosley (da_mose) on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is a few more Wake Pics Mike.

Upload
Upload
Upload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
cmosley, how far back do you guys ride ?

By J Wilson (illkid) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm pretty sure we are at 75' in those pics

By Brooke (dizzyg) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
looks great!

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Where do you set the wakeplate ?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was told all the way up is the way to go but I'm very curious to what everyone else does to get the biggest wake.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wish I had the hydraulic plate soooo bad it would make it so much easier . . . I hate my manual plate because I like to have it up when riding so the rear of the boat sits lower but when we're done ridin' for the day and empty the ballast sacs the boat rides like $h|t because the plate is up

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on April 29, 2008)

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm with you Monty....I've lost a wrench or two trying to mess with it in the water.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yea it's not even worth messing with after the boats already in the water

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Click on my name --^ to see my current SeaRay wake and an air shot of moi. Ooh Ooh ooh my 87 SS has a hydrolic plate! I didn't even know that was an option then. How sweet! It needs some maitanence though

(Message edited by wakemikey on April 29, 2008)

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
oh yeah that's right just rub it in a little more

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm currently planning my next project for the boat which is adding hydraulics to my plate

By cmosley (da_mose) on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah I am with you guys that manual plate sucks but after playing with the setting for a few seasons now the sweet spot seems to be 2-4 degree up from the neutral or level position gives my boat the best wake.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
so apparently adding hydraulics to your manual plate is a complete bitch and a little on the expensive side so . . . . What if I took out the threaded center thing on the plate adjustment things (<--- it's too early) anyway if I took those out and made some rods to go in their place with like 5-6 holes on each rod with quick release pins for 5-6 different settings and of course 2 holes in each adjusting sleeve thing . . . . Thoughts ?

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on April 30, 2008)

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 7:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It sounds like a good idea but it seems that the pins would have to be pretty strong....I would think that they would have a lot of pressure on them.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 7:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yea I was thinking like 304 stainless would probably be good enough

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Attach boobers or flooting keychain things to the pins so if you mess with them in the water they float up.

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
And I guess I'm not really following how you will do it....Will you have one "solid" rod and one "hollow" rod so the solid will slid inside the hollow? Or are you talking about have a giant pin going all the way across the plate from one rode to the other?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was thinking about attaching some sort of wire to each pin that will keep it attached to the the adjusting sleeve but long enough to still be able to adjust it

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
right now on our manual plates they have a top and bottom sleeve on each side of the plate with a threaded rod in the middle I'm going to take out the threaded middle piece on both sides and put a rod in place of it with multiple holes for different adjustments . . . Does that make any sense ? I did take a lot of allergy medicine this morning so I could be talking gibberish

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yea, that makes sense....I would think it would work just fine. I'd just be sure to get as strong and thick of a pin as possible. And your wire idea is terrible compared to my idea of attaching boobers to the pins!!haha

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yea that allergy medicine must be messing with my head I don't know what I was thinking lol :-)

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 5:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bobbers, Dennis, bobbers, not boobers.

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 5:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yep, the red and white ones!lol

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 6:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So I attempted to dissect my wakeplate adjuster things last night and apparently on mine they are not made to come apart The threaded center rod thing seems to be permanently attached to one end of the sleeve so 3 vodka drinks a hammer and a screwdriver later I ran out of ideas and gave up . . . . . Any ideas ?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 7:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'd have to look at mine to get any ideas I cann't really picture how there attached and all that good stuff.

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 8:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
does anyone know the easy way to take off the wood rail on the back of the old supras..... I am having trouble popping off the little round things that cover the screws without destroying them.

By Tony (tride) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Montgomery, Try more vodka

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I seem to be more creative when I drink whiskey so thats on the agenda for tonight we'll see what happens

By Graham (bigkitch) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 8:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ALright. Some updates on my ride.

Tower powder coated
Rub Rail, now complete with a riveted hull!! (deck and hull split away)
New vin numbers
some interior work
Tranny re and re, and engine work

Upload
Upload

By Andrew"Jet"Mitchell (andrewjet) on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 6:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Bigkitch! What do you mean by rivited hull? Jet

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 6:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
thats looking really good

By Graham (bigkitch) on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Andrew,

Well we had a leak in the boat, big enough to nearly sink it. Whenever we took it out, the water would come up near the transom behind the rub rail and flow into the centre gunnel. So we re-caulked and, was ok and then it happened again. Then I found the real problem. On the port side of the hull by the transom, I could literally push the hull inwards away from the deck at least 5 inchs. YEAH.

SO, we actually ended up riviting the other side tight again, then using SS bolts and nylon nuts, we bolted the hull back to the deck, and then a new rub rail and silicone overtop.

How much water you ask? Well, a slalom run, cutting hard, doin about 32 mph, would take about 7-10 mins to bilge out. If you kept drivign the thing, it would of sank.

(Message edited by bigkitch on May 02, 2008)

By cmosley (da_mose) on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So Montgomery did the Whiskey help you loosen up your wake plate last night?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well I had to skip out on the drunken wake plate action due to a huge storm but tonight it's on like donkey kong

By Tony (tride) on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
any idea's on taking off the rear wood rail,
Simon did you come up with anything.
How do you get the wood plug's out?

By Tony (tride) on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 3:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Where's a good (cheap) place to buy exhaust manifolds. Both of mine are cracked. They were cracked when I pick up the boat last year. JB weld did not hold. Time 2 get some new one's, that suck's.
The motor is a pcm 351 1986 Supra sunsport.
Thank's for any help!!!!

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well tomorrow we set out to pick up the boat. Hotel Saturday, then test drive in the morning and tow home.

If it's nice, I'll have the board along to test-ride. Forecast says low 45, high 63 and mostly sunny. Cross your fingers!!

I ordered that handle today, but in white and black instead of red and black. It's a Proline Delta Ltd 17" with a pistol grip. Also getting Proline Ltd white coated SK mainline. Should be sweet.

I decided my tower must be black to match the black window trim. No offense to anyone else out there but I think it will look so sweet. Monster Tower it is since Titan won't fit under my boat cover or boatlift canopy.

Next post - Sunday night. :-)

By Tony (tride) on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 4:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
wakemikey, Good luck!

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What oil do you guys use ?

By Jaak Sildoja (vguy75) on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 5:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
WakeMikey,

thanks for posting all of your links! Greatly appreciated... would have wrote back sooner, but I was busy with a few cervazas in Costa Rica! Looking forward to seeing some pics of your boat in action!

Does anyone know how much water a Sunsport draws? I'm guessing around 24"-26" inches unweighted.

I'm curious as I only have 34"-36" of water at my current dock spot (bottom is mud). Fine for the Sidewinder, but I suspect a little too shallow for a Sunsport. I'm trying to upgrade to a better slip in the marina prior to purchasing an inboard. We'll see.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 6:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well she's home! Tough trip home, but now under shelter for a couple weeks until we get the dock and boatlift in. Big thanks to my Dad for coming along, expertise and driving/use of Tahoe!

Got back last last night so I'll have to get pics another time. I got a bit of video but it stinks and my camera is old. I'm waiting on an ebay item to be able to connect to my PC.

The wake looked very nice, and had lots of potential. She drove spectacularly and when driving slowly looked great for surfing too. Who knows though, have to try it to be sure. Lots of room. It felt great to be out on the water. Sunny and 65 with a breeze. Opening fishing in WI though, DOH!

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 6:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sweet you'll enjoy it

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey guys, I took the '87 Supra out this weekend for the first time ever and it ran great but it would die on us when we would put it in gear. I wasnt sure what it would be..... Can anyone help me???????

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Did it do it all the time or just before it got warmed up ? Mine does it when we first launch the boat but as soon as it warms up there are no problems at all

By Simon Irish (burberry03) on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
it was doing it the whole time; but the water was 45 degrees and the outside temp was 48. do you think the cold water running through could have caused it?

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hmmm I wouldn't think the water temp would cause any problems like that but then again sometimes I have no idea what I'm talking about :-) What does it due right before it dies ? Like does it Sputter or anything like that ?

By George Bugg (gbugg19) on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
sounds like all carb adjustments. those holley carbs are terrible. They are tricky to get tuned right but once you get them right they are fine. sounds like the idle needs to be adjusted. or maybe a vaccum problem.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yea I was leaning more towards the vac. problem too

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 6:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
As if I'm gonna let this one drop into the archives!

The original owner altered the trailer. He removed the winch-and-strap system of launching the boat. ie back the truck up and then crank it off/on.

He installed bearing buddies, LED waterproof lights, and a special one-man launching system. Thingie.

It's basically a pin that goes through the bow eyehook. It has a large 'guide' shield around it, and you just drive it right on. Back the trailer up extra far in.

Seems so crazy with an inboard that you can have the prop in gear on the trailer and nothing to hit.

(Message edited by wakemikey on May 08, 2008)

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 6:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's a pic.

So when they made this alteration, they had to move the bow eyehook down about 2 inches. You can see the patchjob they did covering the old holes. We will fix that up a bit. But with the awesome freeboard the Supra has it shouldn't get wet there very much.

Trailer will get a paint touch up along with the winshield frame which is slightly scratched up. The trailer guides will be replaced sometime too with padded ones. Nice new colored ones with some neato brand.

Upload

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 6:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jaak Sildoja (vguy75): I saw your post and have some info to reply with. I am in a similar shallow water situation. But I have to look at my manual first so I don't misquote how much water my boat drafts. The older ones draft a bit less than the heavier newer ones.

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is called a boat buddy if I'm not mistaken. If done correct you can use the wich with the boat buddy. Ours came with both.
Upload

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is called a boat buddy if I'm not mistaken. If done correct you can use the wich with the boat buddy. Ours came with both.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice boat Aaron. Yeah that's exactly what I meant. Boat Buddy is a brand, huh? I will see if mine has any brand marking. Here's a link at Cabalas, it's not even that expensive. But you have to mount it...
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0001975011046a.shtml

So I have no idea why they didn't just add the BB to mine and leave the winch hooked up. So I am planning on reconnecting the winch unit and replacing the strap.

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks. This was our first boat. A 99 Launch with 540hrs when we traded it in. It was a great boat.
Upload
Upload

By Wes (weswheels) on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony, we decided to keep the long teak rails on the back of our Sunsport, but I scraped the little wood plugs. I ripped them out with a screwdriver and hammer.
Anyone take off their front rails in the bow? I was thinking about removing them or getting them powdercoated black.
Also, how easy is it to remove the ski pole in the Supras? Thanks.

By Tony (tride) on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wes,
I had to use a cut off wheel to get my ski pole out. Take it out, it makes for alot more room!

I couldn't get my wood plug's out of the back rail, so I just did the teak oil with the rail on the boat.

By Greg (elbastardo) on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I removed my ski pole a couple weeks ago. Much roomier. It wasn't too bad--scraped my knuckles a few times trying to loosen the bolts, but worth it.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mine has an access hatch for the bilge right by the ski pole. Follow the pole down and there is a sleeve that holds the pole. The pole is tighened into the ssleeve by a bolt. I haven't taken mine out yet but I think that should do it.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Any of you guys ever have/had any tranny issues with your Supra ?

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've never had a tranny problem with mine...

I just ordered 2 725# launch pad sacs and a pump!!! I'm so excited. I haven't had the boat out yet since I installed the tower and I'm still a little concerened that I don't have any aditional backing plates other than what the tower came with....I know Tony said he didn't use anything else and was fine....like i said the instructions said its only needed if its less than 3/8" think fiberglass and mine was 3/8" I'm just looking for some input...anyone else not put addtional backing?

By Tony (tride) on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 7:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My tranny went out on me 2 week's after I picked up the boat. The reverse went out on it. I was heading into the dock to drop off people and I put it into reverse 2 slow it down and nothing was there, I hit the dock.... $1,700 and a week later I had a new rebuild tranny.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mine goes into reverse fine but that last 2 times I had it on the water after it warms up to get it into gear going forward I have to kinda rev it up and it'll catch . . . . . $1700 ? Was that a complete rebuild ?

By Tony (tride) on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Monty,
$1700 was a complete rebuild, I told them to replace everything, once it was out I didn't want to just fix what was broke. It has all new part's.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well I finally got out on the board for the first time behind my 87 Sunsport. No water weight and just a rider and driver (legal in MN w/ mirror) in the boat. To be brutally honest I really wasn't all that impressed with the wake.

I mean sure it was a bit bigger than my old boat even with weight but that boat was only a 16' I/O. I'm sure with 4-6 people (600 - 900lbs) and the 780lb Launch Pad it will be better, but still...

And good god when you are at riding speed, the SupraTrap exhaust flaps were completly out of the water so all you can hear is the engine noise. If they are going to make custom baffles, why wouldn't they make them to reduce the sound at all? Don't get me wrong it sounded like a Mustang, but I like a quiet rumble. FAE here I come. Sometime.

The boat drove great - we almost got caught in a nice storm after I was riding (yay we had the boat in a while 45 mins!). The wind picked up to about 30mph and there were large whitecaps on the river.

The storm was coming on quickly so we drove full speed (40mph-ish?) and the boat tracked and steered effortlessly. The old boat would've been swinging back and forth with every wave.

And the bow in the Supra just barely moved up and down at all in that rough water! There was NO impact when hitting a wave. The old tri-hull I/O wouldn't been SLAMMING up and down with every wave.

Next time out we will use the Launch Pad.

By Dallas (funkifized) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've got a 91 Supra SunSport that I recently acquired from a buddy of mine. Needs some interior work but other then that it has been a great first boat for me. I'm slowly putting more sacs in it to fine tune the wake. Im planning on removing the decals. I'm not into the miami vice color scheem.
UploadUpload

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mikey, where did you have the wake plate set at ? I know my 91 hull is a little different but with no ballast 3 people in the boat and one on the board with the plate 3/4 up the wake is nice and rampy and the exhaust is never above the water line. but then again it does have a slightly different hull so the exhaust could be different as well

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah I really don't know about that exhaust it didn't seem logical to design with exhaust above water at cruising speeds....I'll see if I can figure out how to get a pic eventually or something...

The plate is all the way up (level with the bottom of the hull) and doesn't adjust right now. I have to examine the hydrolic pumps but it should be an easy fix.

The wake is okay right now, I was just expecting a lil more from the get-go. Don't get me wrong, there was only one person in the boat and no extra weight! Not much to go on. Hopefully this weekend will be nice and I'll have some time to play around.

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Okay I'm back and we FINALLY finally got a nice weekend in MN. 80 and clear 5-10mph wind on Sunday. Much more learned about the boat. Most good, some bad. Ordered a tower! Wake is great. That's the summary, now begins the rant.

Where to start? On Saturday I used the Launch Pad 680lb for the first time. Tried it first under the bow because it's a large and well-supported spot. It made the wake very rampy and wide but didn't get me the boot I wanted. It would be a great spot for a bag in the future.

Then on Sunday I tried the sundeck compartment. At first I didn't think it could bear weight and I might have to cut it out to be able to reinforce and make a new compartment or permanantly install the bag under the compartment.

Now I have found that the bag first just fine there although it's a bit too wide around and the compartment is longer than the bag. I might want to trade it for something longer and skinnier? Or keep it for a surf sac on the side of the DD?

So with the Launch Pad in the Sundeck compartment and four people in the boat the wake was TOTALLY AWESOME it looked really really good. I didn't actually wake it yet as I was TOO BUSY SURFING! All it took to make a waist high crisp and clean surf wave was the Launch Pad in very back and three people leaning on the port side. I think if I took the sac out of the back and put it on the side of the direct drive it would probably surf great just like that! The secret is definitly getting the boat to list or lean to port side.

I surfed using a custom 6'6" ocean surfboard. It worked fine but a real wake surf board would be better I'm sure. Spent time getting the feel and trying a few slashes. 14-15mph worked best for us. More to come...

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Totally killer wake I haven't seen anything like it personally and am super impressed that one fat sac could make that much difference. Didn't in my I/O. Can't wait to rock it.

I ordered a Monster Tower MT1 in black! There was a $200 off sale, but then they don't give free shipping ($40) so it's really a $160 off sale grumble grumble. I got one MT board rack too. I see a lot on ebay and craigslist for half price (racks, mirror, etc). Should have set up in next week or so.

That's about it for good stuff. I have had some minor engine issues emerge. Nothing real serious, but don't like it still. It's tough to describe, like the battery is always almost dead. It seems to charge when driving, but it starts very hard. It will just barely turn over like it's dead, then it'll rumble right to life and sound strong. Then it will idle low and sputter and die. Sometimes when putting boat in fwd or reverse it will die unless more power is given. Runs fine at higher speeds. It must've died 50 times. Could be starter or solinoid, alternator or even just battery or fuel filter. Replaceing those two for sure. Batt first.

Then while I was messing with the engine I forgot to unhook my fat sac pump.....drove away and it sank like a rock :-( :-( :-( :-(

So of course my thought now turn to a permanant ballast system - or maybe kind of semi-permanant. I'm not going to tear up my floors unless I have problems. So Under-the-floor tanks or bags is out of the question.

But the compartments I'm thinking of using could be dedicated to a well-fitting bag in the sundeck compartment as well as under the open bow storage area. First and most important is the rear sac.

If I could mount a reversable pump somewhere and run tubing to the sundeck compartment that would rule. pump could be in sundeck compartment or maybe in bilge area so tubing could run to front and rear?

Just need to hide tubing and figure out where water is pumped IN and OUT of the boat from. How do people do that without cutting the hull?
Wow nice lil rant here. If you've stuck w/ me congrats and thanks.

The Supra SunSport has thuroughly won me over and I can't wait to get everything dialed in. It's a great wake boat so far. We've put 4.5 hours on her now and have used 1/2 a tank. Tank is ~40gal. Love the Proline Delta carbon handle. Getting matching rope soon. Gotta stop now...

By Chris (maxx_wake) on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 7:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dallas,

Here is a picture of my boat if you wanted to know what yours will look like with out the stickers. They are a pain to get off but I wasnt a fan of the multi color theme either. Mine is for sale by the way if anyone is interested.

Upload
Upload

By Tony (tride) on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 5:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
WakeMikey,
Your boat get's better everytime you take it out,
Go Supra Sunsport!!!

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 6:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Monty - Need your ballast system help plz! As I indicated in my above rant, I am pretty sure now how I want to set up my simple auto-ballast system. Want to use ONE BE Atlas reversable Simer pump to fill one bag. That's it. Was hoping to use the main bilge drain for fill/drain. Or else the raw water pump. One sac in the rear ski locker.

Also Monty PLEASE PLEASE tell us how you took out the plastic compartment in the rear ski locker! I think I would have to cut mine out...

I was also wondering how I could maybe run tubing from the rear ski locker to the rest of the boat, like for a second sac on the floor. So I'd need to get to underneith the rear seat or engine shaft compartment/prop shaft compartment. Always more questions....

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 6:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mikey do you have a picture of your rear ski locker ? On mine the compartment is removable as for running another hose off of the rear ski locker setup all you would have to do is put a tee in the hose with an on/off valve on each side of the tee one for the rear and one for the sac on the floor. I can make a diagram for you if you want

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just posted here but apparently it was lost....

I don't have a picture of my ski locker but I will try and get one in next couple days. It looks a lot like yours but my compartment isn't removable.

It's plastic but I can stand and jump in it w/ no problems. No damage yet from a 680lb sac for a few days (like I said I need a pump) but I would like to remove it if it'll give me any more room. I'll take measurements and then get a dedicated sac for it.

I was thinking just like you were, to make my system very simple but expandable. Just one pump, one sac, then a tee valve so I can fill a sac on the floor (or disconnect and store it when not in use).

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Okay, update, I just called BE Atlas and they told me they sell the BW85P (same pump w/ removable puddle scoop) for ~$100 w/ free shipping. This is waay more than $65. Any comments here?

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ordered one Flotec BW85P reversable dry-priming sump pump from Hardware World for ~$85 shipped UPS ground.

https://www.hardwareworld.com/stockstatus.aspx?pdx=7OAK2H

Black Monster Tower MT1 should be delivered tomorrow afternoon! I will try and take a new round of pics tomorrow afternoon.

Scheduled Delivery: 06/05/2008
Shipped To: ANOKA, MN, US
Shipped/Billed On: 06/02/2008
Service: GROUND
Weight: 59.00 Lbs
Multiple Packages: 2

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
it's a bunch of bs I think they finally realized they could be making more money off of everyone so they discontinued the single pump and made it to where you have to buy the pump with the extra $3 part for about $30 more

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris, got any better pics of your new platform ? Do you like it better than the fiberglass platform ? I'm thinking about rebuilding mine it looks kinda warped on one side

By Chris (maxx_wake) on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There is a better picture in the classified section:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/586500.html?1212459967

I definitely prefer it over the old one. The old one always felt really small to me so I made this one quite a bit larger. Also, the gator grip is much nicer than the old worn out pads that were on my other one. The warped look in the picture above most have something to do with the perspective of the picture. It isnt that way in real life.

(Message edited by maxx_wake on June 05, 2008)

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 5:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well it was another nice weekend in Minneapolis. Pretty nice anyways. Just missed a ton of rain to the south, but the Mississippi nriver is running very high still. It actually went up about a foot an a half. My boat lift canopy hits the windshield of the boat when I put it on the lift. I have to disconnect the canopy, lift up up and pull the boat in, then lower and reconnect canopy. Oh well.

Got the Monster Tower installed!! Got a few pics of installation and wake riding, but didn't get any good surf pics, or any final install pics DOH! Well it wasn't very sunny on Sunday so I'll get some when it's nicer out.

The install wasn't too bad, too about 3-4 hours total. Half of the time spent with finding distance of legs and spots to drill mounting holes that are accessable from the underside. My fiberglass/plywood was not really very thick at all. Not 3/8", so we used a treated wood backing plate.

The tower looks awesome, is rock solid and totally silent so far, and really makes the boat better. One board rack so far totally helps on space.

I had some extra people in the boat on Sunday so the surf wake for me was pretty dang good! Went a couple minutes with no handle. Still getting the hang of how to stay in the pocket and make some moves without losing it. This ocean surf board really isn't cutting it. It works ok for me, but other people have a tough time with it if they are bigger.

Really wishing I had fresh air exhaust but I'm pretty sure the girlfriend will not let me this year..... We'll see.

Oh, BTW I put in another battery we had lying around and it seemed to work a bit better. But still something is wrong. The boat will start every time, but often it cranks hard.

When I turn the key, if I watch the battery I hear an audible click, and sometimes a thin tendral of smoke rises up. If I have to start it a a few times in rapid sucession, the cables turn hot. So maybe the solinoid is drawing too much power. Gotta check it out when I have time arggg! Just wanna wake.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 9:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris, I was referring to mine being warped I don't know how the hell it happened but it's definitely warped a little on one side

Mikey, did you add a 2nd battery ? or replace the old battery ?

By Snippy Tyno (ironcross25) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 10:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
wakemikey,
I have the same prob starting on my 86 marauder which is the same baot as yours but with a closed bow. I see mine starting hadr when i have been pulling people for a while. When i stop and kill the motor then go to restart it act tlike the battery is dead. Then the next time it is fine. I am digging into it know. If I find anything that works Ill poass it along

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 3:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For now I just am swapping out batteries since some we have around from other boats don't hold that good of a charge anymore. Ok for a smaller boat/motor, but won't cut it for our boats. 2nd battery is another project...

Snippy thanks for the heads up. I will also keep you updated if I find anything out. Did a brand new battery help you at all?

Here's a couple pics:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 3:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The wake was way washy that day we didn't really care to position everyone perfect. Just enjoying the tower.

Upload
Upload

By showtz (showtz) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 7:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I like the progress! We used to ride behind a 85 Supra Bow Rider just like yours. With the right amount of weight it was even fun to surf behind.

Upload
Upload
Upload

By Greg (elbastardo) on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Starting problems!!! Let's hear them... My 92 sunsport starts right up after sitting for a week, but after a few runs it will click like the battery is dead. Then after sitting for a few minutes it will fire up like nothing was ever wrong. I've tried opening up the throttle (assuming it was flooded) and I've tried hitting the starter with a wrench (in case anything was stuck in the starter). Both have worked, but I can't figure out if it's that or just sitting for a few minutes that fixes it. New starter maybe?

By Snippy Tyno (ironcross25) on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had my starter rebuilt and still had the same prob. I am going to check the timing and replace cab and rotor and go over ignition wiring to see if any loose or corroded connections and see if that helps.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 6:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I always put mine in neutral give it a little gas and she starts right up every time

By Dennis (denwbaseball) on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 7:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I do the same as Monty, the only time I have problems if it hasn't ran in weeks. But then it just takes a little longer still no big deal tho.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 7:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I need a tranny rebuild

By Wes (weswheels) on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
We need to start a second thread for 1987 Supra Sunsport people. Anyone else up for it? This page takes a while to load.

By Montgomery (lovin_the_wake) on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah for real :-) lol every time I get on this thread at work it takes like 2 minutes to load

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 9:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well I love the new thread idea but this is my thread so I'm going to post here a bit more before I start something new. Sorry that I'm kind in hyperpost mode lately but it's all happening so quick! Gotta get her up to par ASAP! :-)

So today we got a brand new battery and new terminal connections, soldered 'em in good and tightened the thumbscrews with a wrench. Thank the lord, all is right again with the SunSport. Fixed all the problems so far. She starts and runs great and the alt is working fine as far as we can tell without getting it tested.

We'll continue to monitor it for hot battery cables, battery drain or rough idle but for the last three hours or so of today it went great! Already have almost 12 hours on her!

Hooked up the simer pump for a trial run, it fills or drains my 680lb sac in about 5 minutes. Should work perfect. It's a bit loud bit it's fine when under a seat or in a sealed compartment. Now I just have to plumb the first sac.

I'm not really sure I'm going to be able to put a sac under the rear seat. I really want to, but the dividers seem somewhat hard to remove. They are almost connected to a portion of the floor.

We took the sac out of the rear locker and put it on the port side rear floor. Filled it alllll the way up and had three people sitting on port side. Worked great! Could still take more weight.... I haven't been able to get my bigger 220lb friends to drop the handle yet. They don't seem to get enough push from the Liquid Force Venture.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com