Dripless packing gland? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Dripless packing gland? « Previous Next »
By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 2:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The CC dealer is trying to sell me on this $300 option. Is it worth it? Seems like, the way he is describing it, it should be standard!!! Is it standard in any other manufacturers' boats?

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 2:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The answer, as always is it depends. If you're looking at a v-drive (which I assume you are), then yes this should be standard. On direct drives access is pretty good so it's not as essential. The Super Air is particularly hard to access, so get it for sure.

They're standard on MB's, but I don't know if anything else comes with them.

By Fredrik Broen (fbroen) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 2:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Standard in the MCs. If I understand it right, not only will it not drip, but you don't really have to do any maintenace either. But I am not an expert on the issue...

By David Williams (wakeworld) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 2:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What is it? I'm wondering if I have one. :-)

By Chris Foye (wakejunky) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 2:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's the scoop on the dripless packing gland. Sure it's a nice option but, if that thing ever needs servicing or replacement. it's like $400. Granted CC has a 5 year bumper to bumper, you should be good for 5 years. But, with the "normal" packing gland you can replace the material inside a whole lotta times before you use up $400.
I suspect he's trying to sell you something out of his inventory which already has the option. But, it's up to you.

Chris
get the grip you deserve
www.wakejunky.com/gatorgrip

Also for sale
http://home.surewest.net/cfoye/96SportNautique/96SportNautique.htm

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 3:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, but the issue with a traditional wax packing gland is that if you do have to replace it you're going to pay through the nose for the labor. If someone with a Super Air has a chance, take a picture of the prop shaft where it exits the hull. There is almost no room to get a decent sized wrench in there.

I promise you a traditional packing gland will require a lot more work than a dripless setup.

Like I said, on a v-drive I would spend the money no questions asked (especially if you do your own service, you don't want to deal with adjusting a traditional setup). On a direct drive I would put it further down on the list, but if you have the money, I would still get it.

Dave, Malibu didn't add it as an option until late last year, and it's still not on the 'books'.

Here is more info.

By Shawn (csquared) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 4:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
On a Super Air, it takes maybe 10 minutes to adjust the packing gland. Clearance is tight but plenty doable.

By terry barrett (tbarrett) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 4:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Paul, The sealed shaft is standard on all Tiges. Both the direct drive and V drives. You can convert it yourself for less than 300. Terry

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com