Trailer Question Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Trailer Question « Previous Next »
By Troy (liveoz) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 11:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I normally only pull my boat a couple of miles each way. Today I brought my boat home to do some cleaning and maintenance. It was about a twenty five mile trip. When I unhooked the trailer, I noticed a strong burning rubber smell. The culprit was the rear tire (tandem trailer) on the driver side. On the outside edge of the tire, it was worn nearly bald for about 1 1/2 from the edge towards the center of the tire.

What would cause the tire to burn up so much on a short trip like that. (the worn area is all the way around the tire, so I am assuming is was spinning and not skidding)

fyi, the trailer has been on many long trips and has never had this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By charlie alexander (charlie) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 11:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
its hitting something. I had the same problem but turned out I had a cracked spring that was letting the tire ride up and hit the inside edge of the wheel well. With the limited info in your post I'm just guessing but either its hitting something or its moving side to side (probably not, since there is no damage to the other tire), so my guess is you need to check your suspension or your drum o that side for play.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 4:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Look at the tire from the rear and see it is bent out on the top side, the axle could be bent causing the outside of the tire to wear down faster.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com