Ques. for ACME prop users..... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Ques. for ACME prop users..... « Previous Next »
By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 5:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an X10. I dinged the OEM OJ 4 Blade slightly and am going to replace it this spring for the next season. I was planning on going with an OJ stainless of the same size/pitch.

I spoke at length with the guy from ACME and was convinced that their manufacturing process is superior.

How do they perform? Are they reaaly run that much smoother?

Thanks for the input in advance.

By Sean M (magic) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 6:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
They are nice,

here is some testments

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/50687.html?1043971166

By Troy Lindstrom (troyl) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 6:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a huge improvement in every respect. But, I was going from a 5 year old OJ 3 Blade to the Acme. I wouldn't go for the stainless prop on an inboard because I am a rock magnet and I follow the belief that the softer nibral prop may save my prop shaft some day. Lots of threads on Acme props in the history here.

By Jim Bogden (bog) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
worth every penny!

By swass (swass) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Love, love, LOVE it!

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
After bashing the hell out of my O.J brass on my mastercraft, I gained some knowledge on props and mastercraft boats. My mastercraft dealer sells both o.j, and acme. First, mastercraft boats run better with the o.j prop. It has something to do with the shape of the blades and the cup of the blades. That is what they test the boats with and that is what you should keep on the boat. Also, if I had a stainless prop on my boat I would be replacing my transmition, prop shaft, and everything else. The brass just folded and broke off a blade when I hit the bottom of the lake. A stainless prop would of transfered all the energy to the rest of the drivetrain and destroyed it. With the lower water levels here in Colorado brass is a great thing to have!!!! All kinds of hidden things lurking under the water.

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
4 for
1 against

Anyone else, any other mastercraft owners find the same result as andrew?

By Boats N Boards (hlboatsnboards) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just make sure when you order the prop, that you understand that OJ is the only company that gives actual dimensions. There 13x13 is actually a 13x13. Where acme, cutter to get that size, you may have to order a 13x15. That is just an example, but the prop companies will openly tell you this when ordering. I personally like Cutter and I have tried them all. But it may have just been the size, combo that I needed.

B

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 8:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bruce, I am just repeating what my dealer told me. The mechanic here in Denver. He is VERY knowlegable in mastercraft boats. When I asked for an acme prop (because Swass was swearing by his) the mechanic told me not even to attempt it. Then he told me all the hoopla about why mastercraft uses the o.j prop. I would HIGHLY suggest you go to your mastercraft dealer and chat with them about your prop choice. A nicked prop can be fixed cheap. New props are darn expensive. You should look into getting yours fixed. If you are looking for better performance then chat with the Mastercraft dealer and nobody else. They are supposed to be the experts on the boat. I could tell you horror stories about buying a prop from a dealer that does not handle your brand of boat. And I would never use a stainless prop after whacking those rocks last summer.

By swass (swass) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 5:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm obviously no mechanic, but that sounds a bit fishy to me. Acme lists a 3-blade and a 4-blade for your boat.

I'd be curious to hear from other MC owners.

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 6:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an ACME. It's boobies. I like it alot.

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 6:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The prop on a mastercraft thing sounds funny...???

I have a Malibu and a Acme 4 blade, and a OJ 4 blade stainless, the Acme is MUCH smoother, it feels like I am driving a Lexus when the Acme is on it, it feels like I am driving a 1983 chevy pickup when the OJ is on it.

The Acme seems to be very fragile, the blades are thinner due to their manufacturing process. Very easy to bend, once bent it will never be the same. The OJ takes the abuse of the occasional log without any marks on it. But I think either way if you nail rock or bottom you would probably have to worry about more than just the prop.

By Matt Dettman (matt_dettman) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 6:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There is no voodoo with regard to propellers.

The boat doesn't know what prop is on it. A Mastercraft or any inboard will run better with an Acme prop. Trust me on this!

The Acme prop is cut with a computerized milling machine and the tolerance from one blade to another is within the thickness of a hair.

Acme props are accurately measured and sold with the actual measurements advertised.

Before Acme props, I would have to frequently swap brand new props on new boats due to intolerance from one blade to another.

Acme props are the $#@%! I will not stock a boat in my dealership with any other prop!

Do I sound convinced?

Matt

By Clinton Wiggins (wrride) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 7:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you have rocks stay away from stainless. A couple of years ago we did $2,500 in damage to our old boat when we clipped a rock. It really messed some stuff up.

By salty87 (salty87) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 8:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i got the acme 541 3-blade for my supra. better hole shot, speed holding, top end, and my rpm's went down about 200. the old oj 4-blade hasn't seen the light of day since, i hope it's where i left it under a seat.

acme can re-machine a damaged prop to within tolerances again. your local prop guy might not be able to without the same equipment. but, as with any prop, too much damage can't be fixed.

i bet acme knows more about their props and MC's than MC does. MC won't speak badly about their suppliers.

By Bryce (sandman) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 8:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
One more for ACME. Love mine. The whole Mastercraft/OJ thing sounds fishy to me. When it comes down to it its still a motor connected to a driveshaft. What is so different about a MC???
The thing that really sold me on the ACME was a reply I recieved back from Centurion in regards to why they went with the ACME 3-blade on their Avalanche series. See below.

"We did do some extreme tests on all of our approved towboats with different props. From the classic OJ 3 and 4 blade all the way to the ACME 4 blade...we tested them all. As far as acceleration and hole shot, their was a slight difference but nothing significant at all except the ACME was better than the other manufactures. We went with the ACME 3 blade over the ACME 4 blade not because of hole shot or top end speed but for wake characteristics. On both our slalom and wakeboard boats we saw a dramatic improvement in the wakes from the 3 blade over the 4 blade. This is why we, went with the 3 blade. Speed still holds the same and the acceleration is still there, and not everyone is using the 4 blade anymore...their is only one company using the ACME 4 blade. If you have any other question feel free to write me back."

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 9:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
9 for
3 against

Here's what I'm thinking. Go with the Acme 14x20 4 blade. The factory rep told me if it is too much prop then return it and they will take some cup out or exchange it for a new propeller of different size.

I do notice about $60 dollars differnece between price from propellers online and direct from ACME.

I guess the extra $ gives you the benefits of switching props until you're happy. Anyone dealt with propellers online before?

By Scott Hetland (scotthetland) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought an Acme 3 blade from propellers online. I had no problems, and it is a whole lot less expensive. I just spoke with the guys at Acme, and they told me which prop would be best. So I trusted what others here had to say and the rep on the phone from Acme about the Acme 3 blade, and I couldn't be happier. Count my vote for Acme.

By Sean Glynn (aircanada) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bruce,

Looks like your the other X-10 owner Jim at ACME said he was talking to this week. I just got off the phone with him and will ordering a 13.5x17.5 on Monday. I too am convinced about their manufacturing process and found Jim to be exceptionally knowledgeable. After Answering Jim's questions, we discussed a couple options and came to the conclusion that the 13.5x17.5 would suit my needs well. He said that I may lose 3 or 4 MPH in the top end and may have to watch the rev limiter when running unweighted. All acceptable by me.

The way I see it, with the 30 day money back guarantee I have nothing to lose, if I don't like it I will send it back! I should have the prop by the end of next week and will let you know what I think.

Here is the response I received via email..

Hi Sean,
Thank you for your inquiry. I have a couple questions before I make a
recommendation. I just got off the phone with a guy from Memphis who has
the same boat and engine.

This Predator Engine has quite a bit of torque, but it doesn't find its
power at high RPMs. It is somewhat lower revving, compared to the
engines that come on many of today's Wake & Ski Boats -- the recommended
RPM range for the Predator at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) is something like
4550 to 4750, or 4500 to 4800. Therefore, your boat and engine
combination is one of the few that is capable of turning our 14 x 20
(417), because our 14 x 20 is a true 14" in pitch and 20" in diameter.
However, due to your application with the added weight, I believe I am
going to recommend something different than the 14 x 20. But you will
definitely improve your smoothness and performance by going to an Acme
4-Blade.

By the way, we need to update and modify our chart on the web. So don't
be too surprised if what I tell you doesn't exactly agree with the chart
on the web. This past fall we did some further testing on a 2002, X-10
with the Predator engine. You have a 1.5:1 gear reduction, and you are
probably currently running a 14 x 20 OJ, 4-Blade. But when Mastercraft
tested your boat with the current prop, they most likely tested it with
much less weight than what you are running in the boat for your use and
application.

I take it you are using your X10 for wakeboarding, correct? Can you tell
me how much weight you are adding, above and beyond the normal ballast
that comes stock on the boat? Generally, how many people do you have in
the boat? Do you run your boat at a higher elevation (e.g. 3000 feet or
higher), or are you close to sea level? Lastly, under your normal
operating conditions, do you know your RPMs at WOT? (If you don't know
the answer to this last question, it's ok). Please advise.

By salty87 (salty87) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yup, they were just as informative and helpful when i had to get mine re-worked. jim completely explained their process and went into great detail about how the repair should be done. he even wanted to talk to my prop guy to make sure they knew how to work on them correctly....apparently, it's easy to cup them wrong because they're different from existing props.

if i ever have to get it fixed again, i'll just ship it back to them though. it came out alright but not as smooth as it used to be. their tolerances can't be matched without the right equipment. i think the cost would be about the same, more peace of mind.

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sean, it's a small world. Sorry about not returning your email sooner. I just got back home from training and have access to my email now. Please let me know by email or on this forum so others will know how your 13.5x17.5 ACME works out.

Hope the flying is going well.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com