trailering extra weight. how much is... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » trailering extra weight. how much is ok? « Previous Next »
By matt moss (mossy44) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 1:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i know that there are all sorts of pros and cons to using lead or other weight besides water.

my question is for those that have trailered and not had problems, how far do you travel and with how much extra weight?

or

for those that have had problems, how much were you traveling with and how far?

i travel about 1.5 hours every weekend with a '02 xstar pulled by either '02 hummer or '02 yukon. just curious how much some of you think i can handle?

By John Klein (jklein) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 5:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've traveled about 6 hours from the bay area to shasta with an additional 300 lbs in sand, plus maybe another 200 in stuff we hauled along for our vacation with no trouble.

I've regularly traveled 1.5 hours with the 300 in sand to the delta.

I've also pulled fully loaded with my fat sacs full (another 900lbs on top of the 300 in sand) for 10 minutes to my local lake. I do that all the time.

I tow with a 2000 Lincoln Navigator

By RTMunroe (rtm) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 5:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Matt,

you have way more important things to worry about...like getting a half decent tow vehicle!!

By matt moss (mossy44) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 6:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i was actually meaning how much can the TRAILER handle?

By Matt Dettman (matt_dettman) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Matt,

Check this thread from last year...

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/34829.html

Matt

By Shawn (csquared) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 9:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check the rating plate on the trailer, subtract the weight of the boat. That's what it will safely handle. Most tandem axel trailers will have a few hundred pounds of extra capacity, most single axel trailers won't. You can certainly overload the trailer and lots of people do, but it's a choice you'll need to make based on the terrain you tow over, the possible safety risks and even the potential liability if something bad happens.

By matt moss (mossy44) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 1:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thx for the help so far. i will go home and check that rating plate. havent had a chance to read the discussion from last year yet, but i will later. any more help would be great. thax

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 2:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My thought is to start with the rating plate on the trailer, and then contact the manufacturer for their input. Here's what I've found:

On my previous boat, a Mastercraft X-9, the single axle trailer rating was significantly higher than the boat weight (empty). I talked with the dealership, and they didn't recommend adding lead but acknowledged it happens every day. They even had a pro's boat on a single axle trailer in for service with a completely full water ballast system.

Based on this, I was comfortable leaving 400 lbs. of lead in the boat, evenly distributed. My typical trip to the lake was 10 miles.

I now have a VLX on order with a single axle trailer from Boatmate. I spoke with a rep there today, and decided to upgrade to a 5,200 lb. axle vs. stock. That being said, I would still feel comfortable with 400 lbs. on a stock trailer.

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving much more than 400 lbs. in the boat, but that's me...I hope this helps.

By John Klein (jklein) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 3:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You should check the rating on your tires too. I know the tires on my tandem trailer are only running about 1/2 the load they're capable of.

By Dan Sullivan (danno) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 4:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
While you're at it, check your trailer brakes. On a friend of mine's trailer, one of the wheels actually siezed up after the brakes overheated.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com