ballast questions Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » ballast questions « Previous Next »
By Scott Hetland (scotthetland) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 9:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have been reading up and studying a lot of the different ballast systems that have been posted by people here. I am looking to keep the costs down, so I am going to stay away from the reversible and self priming pumps. I have four sacks to play with, one 565 pounder, 2 350 pounders, and I will purchase a 4rth for the bow of my '88 SN. I am thinking of running a Rule 1100 gph pump for the 565 lb sack and Atwood 740 gph pumps for each of the other 3 sacks. If I do this, I will have to switch ends on whether I fill or empty, but that is ok with me. My question is on the wiring. I do not have much knowledge in this field. I believe I will have to some how wire each pump to its own fuse with a switch and run a live wire to each fuse(4 of them). Can anybody give me any advise on this?

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 5:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Scott,

If you look under the dash you should see a circuit board or fuse panel that will have some spare 12V connections for you to use. You can run the positive power to the pumps from there, or straight from the battery. An in-line fuse would be good. If you run it from the battery, just bring one wire off of it and connect a distribution block to that.

You should probably run a separate switch for each pump. Run the ground through the switch. I have always done it this way and have never had a problem. There may also be some extra ground connections under your dash you can connect to. They usually look like long metal strips with holes all over to screw terminals into. If not, connect it to the battery.

If you need to save space on switches, get a 3-way toggle. Press up to fill and down to empty, that sort of thing.

Good luck!

By Scott Hetland (scotthetland) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks a lot. I am going to have to take a look under the dash to see what I have to play with. I will be using 4 2-way toggles, space isn't an issue. I am thinking of just mounting the switches on a piece of wood that I will somehow secure under the dash, but easy to access. I may have a few other questions once I take a look at the situation, but that will not be for another month or so, since the boat is in storage at the lake. Thanks again!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com