I/O dies after extreme punishment Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » I/O dies after extreme punishment « Previous Next »
By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 1:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
After putting my 500 hrs in two years on my 11 year old Bayliner pushing 2K of ballast the gear box has finally refused to play ball and has thrown it's toys out of the cot. It now requires a "precision rebuild" which is going to cost 2k US. To tell the true I'm suprised it lasted so long, looking forward to the next 500hrs, maybe I'll sell it at 998hrs just to be safe........
John Sucks

By swass (swass) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ouch! Can you get a "not-so-precision rebuild" for half the price?

Do you tow your boat with your Subaru?

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes there is cheaper options but because of the stress we are putting of the leg I don't think it's a good idea, even if we sell it I wouldn't feel right about it if I knew it wasn't tip top.

Yes, I tow the boat with the sub, it's got plenty of power & brakes but it far too light to be a good tow wagon. The boat only weighs about 2000 pounds so it's not heavy but when I get my next boat I will have to look at other towing options.

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Darren it was an alpha 1 wasnt it?? What year is it?

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 3:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yip, Alpha 1 Gen 2. It is a '92, I think it was the first of the Gen 2 series.

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 8:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Your wake looks killer for an I/O. That rebuild sounds cheaper then I expected. I was at the mastercraft dealer the other day and they were dropping a new engine in someones boat. (old engine froze and cracked) New engine was 9000 bucks. You are getting a bargain

By Tim Jewitt (iewc_vp) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 11:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a feeling that may happen to my friend boat soon. We have put some serious strain on that thing over the past 6 years. I mean the OMC King Cobra is strong drive but there are weekends we have run 2000lbs of ballast and 10 people in a 22 foot boat ALL DAY long. Gonna suck when it happens but all the more reason for him to get a wakeboard boat.

By walt leonard (walt) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 6:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Darren Buy a Volvo Duo Prop drive they are much stronger And you will also get better performance !

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com