Reconditioning cost Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Reconditioning cost « Previous Next »
By Todd (boardman74) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am thinking of purchasing a used boat that may require some extensive reconditioning/rebuilding. The boat is a 97 and has less than 80 hours, however it's past owner(sorry non caring person) has neglected to care for the boat(use it to from the 77 hours). The boat is newer and has all fiberglass construction so structural rot is not a problem. I know alot of you have done most of this work and I have too. I'm curious to cost. I know I need new carpet. I just did this in my cruiser, but that had all hidden edges. This has an exposed edge with a sewn in trim. If I take this to a shop what would I be looking at to have a piece made. I would imagine it is about 7 wide by about 15 long with contours. I can use the old piece as a template, but don't have a machine heavy enough to sew the edge. Next is the hull. It has a few small nicks from the trailer. I can do the gel no problem. But it has some pretty bad hazing. How much should I expect to pay to have this rubbed out? Next is the upholstery. It has no damage, no cracking, but is extremely dirty. Some mold too! How much of this will come out? What products have you used that will remove the mold/mildew? I was told by the dealer that they had a guy who could get it out, but over time the harshness of the cleaner would ruin the stitching. How much is a new interior? Standard inboard so: open bow seats, observers seat, drivers seat, engine box, rear seat and sun deck. The only wood I find on the boat is the drivers foot panel and the tub of the rear compartment. It is all solid. What other problems can I expect to encounter? They offered to sell me the boat for $9000 which is $2000 under low book. A detailer has assured me that he can buff the hull like new after trying a small portion. Please let me know your experiences. I was thinking if I could come out at or below low book after all repairs I would be happy. I was assured everything works and am test driving this weekend. Thanks

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 3:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
usually when you say extensive rebuilding your talking new seats, glass work, or motor work. Id say its not going to cost the 2k to clean seats buff the hull(by the way why dont you just go to a professional paint store and get some polishing compound and a buffer and do it yourself) now the gel coat might take some money or time, but if you can do that yourself you should be able to do the rest and it would cost quite a bit less

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 9:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If that is how he treated the interior, just imagine how he cared for the engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By joel treiger (trigx5) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 9:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with Andrew! Don't buy some one elses problems to save a buck or two.

By Todd (boardman74) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 4:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Andrew and Joel,
Good point. The first thing I thought of. I already had my mechanic check the engine and he says it is fine and like new. He just suggested the normal: change fluids, plugs, and the impeller.

By Shawn (csquared) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 8:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is it a private sale or a dealer? Take all of the things that need work right now and then multiply that by 4...that's the minumum number of problems you'll find when you start fixing the boat.
What kind of boat is it? Hard to say what an interior will cost without knowing what it is.

(Message edited by csquared on January 29, 2003)

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 8:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Many dealers sell on consignment. Not their boat, but they'll let you sell it from their lot.

Also, I never saw that he was buying ffrom a dealer.

Many folks do not buy from dealers.

By Shawn (csquared) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 8:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I originally read "detailer" as dealer...my bad...hence the edit above

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 8:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heck, that's OK, I do it all the time - I just don't edit

By Todd (boardman74) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Guys,
I will help to try and clear things up. The boat is for sale at a consignment dealer. They had the boat priced at $15,900 and along with that price it has not sold. Most of the weathering has been done at the dealer as it has been there about a year. They had it so far over priced plus we are not in a large inboard area. That's why it has sat. The boat is a 1997 Maxum Ski Max. It is a 21 ft open bow and has the floowing options: trailer, cover, cd, heat, shower, 265hp merc mag, fly high, 2 sacs with pump, and more. I can buy it for $9000 or maybe less. I'm gonna test drive it this weekend and see how it is. I'm familiar with the wake on this boat, so is just to test that everything works. Keep the good stuff coming.

By Shawn (csquared) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 1:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You'll be able to get the interior clean if it is just dirty from mold. It can take some effort and you need to be careful about damaging the vinyl. I have used SoftScrub with bleach to get some really stuborn stains out. Most people will say that is too harsh, and I agree to a large extent except that if you rinse the vinyl well, take great care not to get the SoftScrub on anything else in the boat and follow it up with a good vinyl cleaner and then a protectant (NEVER use Armor All), you are generally OK. The reason the stitching breaks down is residual bleach will slowly oxidize the thread. If you rinse well and protect well, you should be OK. Add a good UV protectant like 303 and you'll get many years of life from the interior.

Check with Maxum if they still make the interior skins for the boat you are looking at. For example, Correct Craft offers their interior skins for all of their boats and the prices aren't too bad (about $400 for an interior if you can reuse the foam).

Also, if the carpet isn't torn up, you can revitalize it with a pressure washer. It fluffs up matted carpet pretty well (but is a bit messy).

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com