03' Sunsport Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » 03' Sunsport « Previous Next »
By Tony Fritsch (atvr) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 12:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looking at buying a new Supra Sunsport, playpen bow, Rad-a-cage, & rear ballast tank. Can anyone help me out with a couple of questions? First, does this boat have the same hull as the Launch SS? Would I be well served by adding the front ballast tank and/or wake plate? Please provide additional input as you see fit. Thanx in advance.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 2:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I believe the Sunsport has the same hull as the Sunsport V, the Launch SS, and the Launch SSV.

I don't have experience with the DD version of this hull, but I run 900# in the storage locker on my SSV, so I'm guessing the front ballast tank would be a good thing to have.

I'm REALLY glad I have the hydraulic wakeplate on the SSV. It helps getting on plane when it's really weighted down, and it just eliminates porpoising at speed. I have no idea, however, whether DD versions need as much help in these areas. It also can help shape (& reduce) the wake for people just learning.

By Mike Bader (fukenrude) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 8:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Launch SS and the Sunsport are the same boat, obvious graphic differences aside. I have an 02 and would recommend both of the options you note, front ballast is a must and the wakeplate helps to smooth out rough water rides. I find that friends are the best form of additional ballast, if not for the company then at least for the unlimited placement options. With full ballast and a couple of large friends I find the wake nice and large with just a little kick on the top (nothing SAN-like, just enough so you don't wash out at the top when edging hard).

As I am sure you have read, the dealer is as important as the make/model you choose. Give them as much of a test ride as you do the boat.

By Tony Fritsch (atvr) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 9:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the replies, keep it coming. Talk me into this purchase. How about jump seats? Anyone use them? Pros / Cons

By Doug (supradoug) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 5:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony I had an 01' Sunsport. Just ordered 03'SSV. The playpen is really neat liked the ballast under the back seat but we ran a bag in the ski locker,1 on each side of the engine and 1 in the back trunk space. I would definately get the hydolic wakeplate. Don't know about the jumpseats, you can seat 4 in the back and 3 beside you and another 3 in the bow. Nice boat. ch

By Bruce Batcheller (bjbatch) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 9:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an '01 Sunsport, which is basically the same as the '03 sans cosmetic updates. You will definitely want the hydraulic wake plate. It really helps shape the wake, and I use it a lot to tweak the wake for slalom skiing. I have the rear ballast only and the wake is more than I need. We also didn't want to lose that storage. However, a more serious rider may have a need for that center ballast. As for the jump seats, that depends on how many people will normally ride with you. You can fit 3-4 people in the observer seat if you get the playpen seating, plus 4 in the back. We generally have an extra cooler or bags behind the driver seat, and I like the other side clear, so I would not want them.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Sunsport, especially if you will pull both skiers and wakeboarders. It is an excellent boat for multi-discipline use.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com