HELP with wiring my pump with two on/... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » HELP with wiring my pump with two on/off switches! « Previous Next »
By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 8:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a reversible pump and I want to hook it up to my two accs. switches on my dash which are both two position switches. They both have power running to them already and then they each have a ground wire and a positive wire coming off of them. I first hooked the pump up to one of the switches and it turned on fine. But then, I tried to hook up the pump to both switches so one would fill and one would reverse the pump and drain the sacks. I just "Y" off of each wire coming from the pump and then ran each wire to the two different switches, except I switched the polarity so one would pump and one would empty. Well, when I went to turn one of the switches on, I think I blew the fuse in the switch and then it did the same thing when I turned the other switch on. I think I need to use a relay, but I don't know much about them. Can someone help me wire my pump so one of the switches will make the pump go one direction and the other switch will make the pump go the other direction?

By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 6:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just moving to the top.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yep, I can help, you need a couple three ways switches. I don't believe two pole will cut it unless you completely wire both switches.

Just like the lights on stair ways. You have a switch at top and at bottom - three way switch.

Now for the single switch - you can use one three way switch and be fine.

By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 7:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I already used one 3-way switch, but it wasn't in my dash. I am trying to convert it over to the switches that are in my dash. Both of them are 2-position switches. I know there was anther post a while ago that had a diagram drawn up on how to wire them, but I can't find it.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 7:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can do it using a relay, although I can not tell you a part number.

By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 9:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I know, I need to know how to hook up the relay and stuff though because I don't know much about them.

By Bob (bob) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 8:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
try this, someone please check my schematic, kinda sloppy

image/bmp
pump wiring 2.bmp (24.6 k)

By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 4:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Bob, I'm not real sure about what some of it means, but I think if I look at some relays I will be able to figure it out. Thanks again.

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
email me if you have any questions

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
remember dc electricityis very similar to water in the way it operates, just follow from the battery - or positive through what ever circuit your tracing out to the other side of the battery, switches/relays are like water valves only they redirect electrons instead of water

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's a slightly different solution using a single DPDT relay. the first switch makes the pump go, the second switch gives it direction either fill or empty. It's a fail safe design so if the relay fails nothing will short out.
Pumps

(Message edited by ralph on January 28, 2003)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com