Malibu Sunsetter DD - First wakeboard... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Malibu Sunsetter DD - First wakeboard boat? « Previous Next »
By Joel Chamaschuk (chuk) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 2:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My wife and I have been proud owners of an I/O the past number of years. In looking at our boating habits it's pretty clear we're hooked on wakeboarding (56 of 60 trips were wakeboarding). So, we've now decided make a transition and invest in our first wakeboard boat ... but gawd are they expensive!!

Yes, we can buy used (and still may), but in looking a Malibu for the first time today, I must admit that we've really fallen for the basic Malibu Sunsetter 21' direct drive (comfort, looks, etc.). However, I'm a little concerned about some of the comments regarding wake size and rampiness, etc. Practically speaking, is the wake a concern on this boat? We would love to buy a new V drive but the direct drive will be a financial stretch as it is. We both love the sport but have no aspirations to compete with any of the Bonifays (we'd be happy to land an invert some time in our lives) ;-) To make a long story short, is this a boat we will 'likely' be happy with? Yes, we will take it out for a ride prior to purchasing, but I'm sure we will be impressed with any of the peformance wakeboard boats. I'm more worried about how I may feel about it in 2 years. We're also thinking about resale value, which is why the Malibu seems to be a great choice at approx. $33,000 USD.

By Joel Chamaschuk (chuk) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 2:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ooops. Make that a Malibu Wakesetter. It must be late ....

By Lars F. Haugstad (larsfh) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 3:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can't go wrong with that boat. I haven't got first hand experience, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Don't forget to post pictures when you buy whatever you buy.

----
www.eurowake.com

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 5:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
joel, i have heard that the basic wakesetter has essentially the same hull as the VLX, it is just a DD form. in that case with appropriate weight and the wedge, it will make a great wake. when I got my boat, my dealer was trying to get me to get that boat, but I opted for the lxi, since i wanted the extra room that it offered. the lxi's hull makes more of a rampy wake, and takes a lot of weight plus the wedge to get where we like it.
good luck with your decision, and if you have any chance to ride in one before you buy, that is always the best way to do it.

By Blayne (beercity) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 8:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The DD Wakesetter is a fantastice wakeboard boat. Same hull as the Wakesetter VLX. If the price is right ont he unit your looking at.....go for it and dont look back!

By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 8:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You'll have to sack it down pretty good and there isn't much of a trunk to hide a bag in.

How about a used v-drive? If you're 100% wakeboard, that's the way to go if you need to keep cost down. Maybe a 1999 or 2000 VLX, X-star, or Super Air.

Direct drives offer many advantages over v-drives, but if you are 100% wakeboarder, then a v-drive is the way to go IMHO.

By Patrick (faceplant409) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 8:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a '99 LXI that I LOVE, but if I were to do it again I would get a V-Drive. If for nothing else, it's less crowded, and more social.
Pat

By Justin (jro) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 8:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 97 Sunsetter (Same hull) and you can make the wakes as big as you want. We run about 1200-1500 and its plenty big with the wedge.

By Joel Chamaschuk (chuk) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 7:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Unfortunately, getting a good used V Dive is a little easier said than done (especially in Vancouver where the market isn't as good as the States). We may even look at bringing a used 'Washington State' boat across the border, but it would need to be a really sweet deal to justify the hassel. Otherwise, it's looking like the Malibu is a good way to go! Now I've just got to find about 1000 pounds of lead!

Thanks to all who posted. Your first hand experience is really helpful.

By MIKE O (batman) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 7:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you put a 500# locker sack in bow and 500# bag on each side of motor box with wedge, you will be very satisfied!

By Justin (jro) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 8:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Try this, Put a gethighsports bag in the locker. It's a 750lb bag but since its long, you might be able to get 5-600 out of it in the locker. Then put about 200lbs of lead in the trunk (Not too much more or the tank will deform) 50 on each side of back seat (stuffed under the side of the seat) and 150-200 in the bow seating area under the cushions. With 6-10 people in the boat the wake is great with the wedge and if you have less people, just toss a 700lb sack on the back seat. That way you are always running about 1500 pounds plus the wedge. FYI the wake is better if you equally weight the front and back since it keeps the wedge angle the same as stock weighting.

By RTMunroe (rtm) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If your curious about V-drives check out www.malibumarine.com in kelowna. On the website are a few used boats that might be to your liking. He has a 2000 sunsetter VLX with all the options that the 2000 wakesetter VLX had except of course the Wakesetter graphics.
The owner of the shop "Ron" is a great guy and from what I understand he is the main Malibu distributor for BC so he will have connections with all the BU service shops on the coast.

Send me an e-mail if you want more info on Ron or Malibu Marine.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com