Prop question. 3 or 4 blade?? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Prop question. 3 or 4 blade?? « Previous Next »
By George Rollins (ride_awake) on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 8:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Toyota X22 that came with a 3 blade prop. We usually add about 1800lbs additional weight. Would the performance be different with a 4 blade? It seems now the boat is struggling out of the hole with the 3blade.

Thanks

By Cary Kalamajka (ndh2o) on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 8:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
A pitch change would make the biggest difference; however when buying a new prop with new pitch, it would be worthwhile to get the four blade to gain additional surface area. Contact the prop companies and they will gladly help you choose the right pitch for your application.

By joel treiger (trigx5) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 6:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I saw a new six blade prop at props R us yesterday, that might do the trick. If that doesn't work a whipple supercharger with an engine scoop would be cool. just kiddin G. Ur boat is dope just the way it is.

By joel treiger (trigx5) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 6:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
220, 221 whatever it takes! haha

By George Rollins (ride_awake) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 7:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was thinking of maybe using the propeller from your hat. Seriously though, my prop size is 13x13pitch. From looking at the info on OJ and Cutter props it seems that 13 is about the lowest pitch. The only difference is 4vs3 blades. Is it worth the upgrade? Will there be a discernable difference?

Thanks

By Sean M (magic) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 8:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Acme recommends a 13x12 3 blade or 13X12.5 4 blade.

http://www.acmemarine.com/html/list.html

I'd call them and see what they say. Personally, I'd put a 13x11.5 3 blade on there and call it a day.

I had a 13x13 OJ 4 blade on my Cal-Air Direct Drive and run about 1400# of ballast. The 3 blade 13x11.5 is much better. Better hole shot, better speed holding and retained the same top end.

The surface area on the Acme 3 is the same as the 4 blades. What makes them nice is that they are CNC manufactured (very high precision, much better than older means)

I did this last summer, best improvement to the boat to date. You really notice the difference when you put the old 4 blade back on, it sucks.

My $.02

Sean

By Jim Bogden (bog) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 8:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
get the acme for sure, way better prop, I cant believe how much better my boat performs compared to the OJ stainless I had before, same pitch.

By George Rollins (ride_awake) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 8:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the info. I'm glad I just did not run out and get a 4blade.

By gid (whazzup) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 9:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, Acme is the way to go. They talked me into to getting a 3-blade with a lower pitch before getting their 4-blade. If the 3-blade werent to my liking they would have swapped me out for the 4-blade. But their 3-blade is amazing. The holeshot and steady pulling power is amazing. The only drawback is that it increased my RPM's by 400 or so. Other than that, I dont regret it all.

By Sean M (magic) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 7:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is a pic of the Acme 13x11.5 next to an OJ 13X13

safda

By tony c (tc_boards) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 8:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Get the 4 blade. You will have more consistency in you speed. It keep the boat going a steady speed and it is well worth it. It works well for wakeboarding.
You will not be disappointed!

By swass (swass) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 5:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's not quite true anymore, Tony.

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 6:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I suspect surface area counts a lot. You'd need a more perpendicular picture to estimate it but off hand that 3 blade has a lot of area for a 3 blade.

But props are tricky, a different shape or cup or diameter/pitch combination can make a difference. I'd be interested in a side by side comparison of those two props using a stop watch

By George Rollins (ride_awake) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 6:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sean, Thanks for the pictures and the first hand comparison. I value your opinion knowing that you have tried both of the props on your boat. Using the 11.5 pitch, does your engine rev much higher than before?

By Sean M (magic) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Acme's have a pretty good cup to them, my RPMs stay about the same. I don't have a sideways pic, but if you are looking at them its very noticble. Also, the Acme is about 1.5 pounds lighter. I'm not sure if that makes a differnence to their performance though

Phaeton did the same thing on his (the same as mine) and found the same results I did. If I remember right the OJ was a 1/10th of a sec quicker to 30 mph and slower on the top end.

My boat get's right to speed and holds it. I barely use the throtle control and have not even worried about putting perfect pass in.

(Message edited by magic on January 30, 2003)

By George Rollins (ride_awake) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 8:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks all, Time to order an Acme. I'm gonna get the 3blade. Still undecided on pitch, but I will talk to the people at Acme to get their best opinion.

Thanks again.

By Scott Hetland (scotthetland) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 9:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I own an Acme 13x11.5 3 blade, and I love it. I only have the original 3 blade 13x13 to compare it with. I don't know who made that prop though. There was a lot of difference in the pull. The boat gained hull shot and held speed a lot better after it was installed. You will not be dissappointed.

By Bryce (sandman) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I also have an ACME 13x11.5 3-blade on my boat and can attest to what everyone has said here. Great pull, holding speed, and very smooth. The only drawback I have found with this prop is that my boat will now over-rev on the top end. I have a Mercruiser Black Scorpion and with my old prop I would top out at 5000RPM which is within the WOT spec for the motor (4800-5000RPM). With the ACME I have seen my RPM's up over 5400RPM on a couple of quick top end sprints. Not a big deal since I rarely run wide open. Has anyone else experienced this with the 11.5 pitch ACME??

By jeff hill (hillbilly) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 3:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
SCOTT does youre nauti rev higher then before.I have an 86 and don't run top end very much but would hate to and end up hurting that old 351...

By Dan Sullivan (danno) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 3:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I shopped for a replacement last year and I found my "best deal" on an OJ prop from www.skidim.com They are knowledgeable and easy to deal with.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com