Upgraded engine worth the cost? Or pe... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Upgraded engine worth the cost? Or performance? « Previous Next »
By J. Mac (big_air_daddy) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 9:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do you or should you upgrade your h.p.? I know money issues play a part, what about torque, weight issues, size of boat, etc. I am clueless. what is the average upgraded cost?

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 11:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The best upgrade would be going from a carbureted engine to a fuel injected one. That is well worth the money. I think the cost there is a grand or so.

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 1:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
who does such an upgrade?

I started a thread a month or so a good and the consensus was "don't bother" which bummed me out but seemed to make sense. Is there a good aftermarket EFI out there?

By Kristoffer Knutsson (kristoffer) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 2:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
EFI engines use less gas so itīs a good upgrade.

By trace (trace) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 2:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
$1000 buys a lot of gas, at least in the US. ;)

IMO the reduced frustration caused by carburetors is worth good money as well. i will never again own anything with a carburetor. it's really nice to drop your boat in the water after a 2 month layup and have it start on the first crank and idle perfectly.

more good info here:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=374c6bd5e8a4ac73900bca32ec888715&threadid=145838

By J. Mac (big_air_daddy) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 3:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
looking at a boat with a m.p.i. 315 or upgrade to a mx 6.2 340 h.p merc...about 3k more!

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 3:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If those are the choices and you can afford it, go with the 340 IMHO. Depending on the weight of the boat a 315 may be a little underpowered.

If it's a DD, a 315 would be OK. They seem to get up and go quicker than the V-drives I've been behind.

By charlie alexander (charlie) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 6:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
my 2 cents... I looked into an EFI upgrade for my carburated boat. The big issue I ran into was that insurance companies require coast guard approval on marine engine parts, and the retrofit kits are all for automobiles (which also have dry exhaust manifolds) and not certified for marine applications. I found one guy who was willing to build me one for about $1300 but I decided it wasn't worth the money or the risk after checking with my insurance company and the local coast guard folks for the current regulations. Its not that the systems are different, just how they are constructed. Anyway, that is what I found out, for what it is worth... I figured I can buy a LOT of gas for that much money, and the difference in HP would only be about 30 hp according to the books.. not really worth it. I agree wht Matt and J.Mac in that an engine swap is the cleanest way to go.

By J. Mac (big_air_daddy) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 9:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looking at v-drive boats....

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 5:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Big Air, I wouldn't pay the additional 3K for that. I'd use that money on board racks, bimini, stereo, etc. You only need to go 22mph, and 315HP is plenty. 315HP will get you on plane very fast.

By Shawn Burke (02wakesettervlx) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 5:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You'd get more bang for your buck by playing around with props. I have a Monsoon and I switched the 13.5x17.5 for a 13.5 x 16, and it made a huge difference.

By Dan Lee (dan_lee) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 9:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
FYI factory upgrade at the dealer will cost you this much on a Mobius LSV
310 Carb standard
320 TBI +$1325
330 EFI +$2495
370 H.O. +$4795
this might help you in make a decision with Indmar buildup and if it can be done cheaper with a new boat(or consider when buying) or if you wish to build what you own

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 9:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I second what Shawn said, I did the exact same thing last year and it made a huge difference. By the way I now have that prop for sale if any one is interested. I ordered my new VLX with the 14x16 so I have an extra OJ 4 Blade Stainless 14x16 that I am looking to get rid of. It fits the Malibu 1 1/8" shaft. Email me if interested.

By trace (trace) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 7:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
tons more info here:
http://www.diy-efi.org/

By Chase Tennyson (tennyson0) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 5:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My SAN has 2100lbs plus 4-5 people and planes just fine with 310hp. I am not saying that more hp wouldn't be cool but I haven't seen it necessary yet.

By John Jared (jjared) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 7:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
When I was buying my XStar they said the 310hp Indimar had more torque in the range needed for wakeboarding than the 330hp Fuel Injected. I don't know if the 330 would have help any and I just went with what they recommended.

I love the performance of my boat and the only thing I might change somewhere down the line would be prop but even that would be iffy. A friend changed his and it became really hard to keep the lower speeds constant without constant rpm changes.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com