I need HELP with my STEREO soon!!! Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » I need HELP with my STEREO soon!!! « Previous Next »
By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 4:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have been trying to hook up a single 200w amp that will be running 4 6 1/2" speakers in my boat. Nothing big, just one amp. Anyways, I have hooked everything up the way it says and every single time I go to turn on the power, it blows the fuse that is on the wire that runs directly to the positive side of the battery. Does anybody have any idea what I am doing wrong. The cd player turns on fine and everything, it's just the amp and it's always the fuse that is on the direct line to the battery. HELP!

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 4:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
did you check all of your wiring to make sure nothing is grounding or any of the wires touching? What size fuse are you using also?

By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 5:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What do you mean grounding? I ground the amp and the cd player to the same wire. But I tried it with them seperate and it still blew the fuse. I am using a 20 amp fuse. It came with a 20 amp fuse, so that is what I was staying with. I don't know, it seems to me that it has to be something that has to do with the direct wire to the battery, because none of the other fuses blow.

By Wakeman (vern) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 5:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sounds like two different wires touching to me. I would go and check ALL of your wires to your amp first. Check the ground. Make sure it is clean and of course metal. Try grounding the amp to a different piece of metal than the cd player.

By utah rider (davidbouvier) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 8:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You have a short to ground. Your sending too many amps through the positive wire to ground. Most likely the amp is bad. There is internal resistance in the amp. If there is no resistance then the power is free to flow as much and as fast as it can. Make sure your positive wire is not pinched, or the insulation is not open and touching any metal. Probably not since it's a fiberglass hull. You could also have the amp tested before condeming it.

By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 5:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How big of a fuse is everyone else using on their amps?

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 6:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
mine are the green fuses which I believe are the 30 ampers.

By WakinVol (jlm) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 7:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sounds like a ground problem. I did the same type install and mine wouldn't come on. Found a good ground spot and it's worked fine ever since.

By johnathan grady (pimpdaddygrady) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 9:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i use a 40 amp fuse cuz i got 800 watts pushin my subs...my fuse blew not too long ago because me ground wire and my power wire touched...thats the only thing i know of that blows them so often.

By David Frederick (dfred) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 9:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had the same thing happen to me with my boat, turned out that the AMP was bad. Every time I turn on the sterio the fuse on the amp blew. Mine was under warrenty so the dealer just replaced it.

take it back and have it checked.

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 10:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
a stereo shop will usually bench test it for about 10- 15.00 bucks

By Justin Waterson (jwat142) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 4:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well, I think I found out that my amp was bad. I un-hooked everything and then just hooked the power wire up to the + on the battery and the ground wire to the - on the battery and it still blew the fuse. So, now I am getting a new amp. Now my question is, what is the best way to test the amp first to see if it is good or not? Should I hook up my new amp just to the battery first to see if it blows the fuse? Thanks for any help.

By utah rider (davidbouvier) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 6:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You could do that. the light will come on and you'll here a slight click. good luck

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 6:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
have a shop bench test it

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com