Installing a tower Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Installing a tower « Previous Next »
By jeff hill (hillbilly) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 4:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is it worth 300 bucks for them to do it?I could do it myself I think but what if I crack the gel coat?I have an 86 nauti and I'm just a little leary about screwing up my toy.But is $300 and their responsibility worth it........

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 4:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did mine myself after getting tired of the service dept to quit draggin there arse. It takes 2 peeps and is really pretty easy. Although mine was a one piece tower.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 4:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Don't know. How handy are you. It's not a big deal and there are sure fire ways NOT to crack the gel coat.

I did mine by myself - Joystick Rollcage.

By Psyclone (cyclonecj) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 4:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The dealer put my factory tower on ONE FOOT too far forward. I couldn't believe it. They remounted it correctly, and the fiberglass guy they had fix it did a flawless job. You can't even see where he worked from the inside. Still, I had to pull the tower off to drill holes for the speaker wires, mine go through the foot of the tower and they never drilled holes. I would save three hundred bucks and do it myself next time. I chamfered the holes to reduce spidering and sealed the raw fiberglass with five minute epoxy. If you take your time and use some sense it is no problem. A tree to hang the tower from while you fit it would be good too.

By John Klein (jklein) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 5:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did mine. I've seen some of the "pro installs" and they're pretty poor. If you're handy and can measure six times and drill once, you're good to go.

Buy a new high quality drill bit. Cover everything with masking tape. Chamfer the holes with a dremel tool. Back everything with a nice block of wood that will distribute the load over as large an area as possble from the inside. Just take your time.

I wrote alot about it on this board back in March, not sure if it's still around.

Good Luck.

By wakebrdrAZ (ssg) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 6:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pride of ownership my friend.....do it yourself! No one cares for your toy like you do IMO!

By SRF (never2old) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 7:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I installed mine last year with no problems at all other than struggling with drilling the 4 - 5/8" holes required for mounting the tower. On critical step to help save the gel coat is to install backer plates on the backside of the holes. I used thick aluminum plate, the larger the better. The backer plates should be "glued" to the boat with a fiberglass body putty to fill the voids between the plate and the boat along with distributing the load accross a larger area. I spent more time measuring than mounting the tower. Good luck, remember measure 10 times, drill once.

By Clinton Wiggins (wrride) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 8:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do it yourself. A "pro" install is usually just some $5 an hour kid with an hours worth of training. No offense intended.

By Matt Heil (matt_h) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 12:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
did mine myself on a 77 SN with a barewest mini tower

By Mitch Mansfield (mitchm) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 8:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What is chamfered? Good info above... I'm installing an 02 Zeroflex in about a month, and the more info the better. Thanks!

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 9:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've done 3 towers so far, a 02 Sportster with a Big Air Tower, a 01 Response with a Swoop and an 03 VLX with a Titan SeriesII. Not much to them. Just take your time and use the advice from above and measure alot, check on the inside of the fiberglass for wires, brackes, etc. and take your time! Chamfered is also more commenly know as countersinking the holes. You want to make sure the edge of the gelcoat (edge of the hole you just drilled) is smooth and does not have uneven surfaces that could crack and run-creating the spicer cracks in the gel.

But the flipside is does the dealer warranty his work? If so if you ever had problems he would take care of it. (maybe)

By Mitch Mansfield (mitchm) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 10:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony, Thanks! Countersinking the hole? Is that a special bit?

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 12:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The top hole has a counterbore while the lower hole has a countersink (like a chamfer).

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 12:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chamfer - An inclined surface at an edge, typically used to recess screws or prevent sharp edges. Chamfers can be made on straight, circular or curved edges.

Counter Bore - A feature used to recess bolt heads or other components when inserted through holes. A counter bore is associated with a smaller hole.

P.S. I'm in one of those anal moods today... don't mind me!

By Mitch Mansfield (mitchm) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 1:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
alrightly then, got it... Thanks!!

By NoneYa (noneya) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 1:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oooh Pro/E how fancy!

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 1:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

slow day at work...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com