Services questions?????? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Services questions?????? « Previous Next »
By Evan Brown (guido) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 1:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've got a '02 Sanger DLX and have 160 hours on it. 2 questions:

How often should I change my trans fluid? Is once a year enough. Some people have told me 100 hours and others have said annually.

How often do I need to lube the rudder bearings? Unfortunately its kind of a pain on my boat with the factory ballast under the back seat.

Thanks for the help.

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 1:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You should have changed it after the 1st 15 hours. Then change at 100 hours. Then do it annually or every 300. This is how we did it at the marina when I lived up North, it's how we still do it, and have never had one fail. Depending on what tranmission you have, there may also be a small filter screen on the transmission you can check out too.

I have called Ski DIM on the rudder before. They said lube it every couple of years, or whenever you have the ballast out and it's easy to get to. I have the same issue with mine. I am going to have to take my ballast tank out also.

By face planter (mastercraft1995) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 4:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Change the fluid every year when you put it away for the winter. Grease the rudder at least every 2 years.

By Psyclone (cyclonecj) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 4:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How about prop shaft strut bushings? The manual says every 300 hours, and I've seen tools for it, but I've never heard of anybody replacing them.

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 7:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you get the strut puller, the job is easy. I have seen people take sockets that fit into the strut and pound the bushing out that way, but the puller is much easier. I would say only replace it if you feel play in the drive shaft when you are checking the alignment at the coupler/transmission.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 7:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The fluid itself tells a story. If it is not bright red and smelling fresh it is due for service no matter how many hours are on it. Part of the problem is you can only get about half what is in the trans out of it using a sucker of some sort. Usually I flush the trans by draining filling, start the boat, drain fill, start the boat, drain fill, start the boat.....that way it gets pretty much replaced. The more weight you run the more often it will need service and do not forget the V-drive unit. I used to lube my rudder bearing at every other oil change but then again I had a direct drive and only had to remove the engine cover, back seat, back seat rest, floor, and then it was accesible. Of course this could be done in less then five minutes. On your V-drive don't you only have to remove the side cover on the motor to access it? Definetely replace the impellar annually.

By Chris Quam (noquams) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 9:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How much extra ballast do you have in your boat? I have the same boat and yours looks like it's riding very low.

By Tom (tcaton) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 10:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Next time you grease the rudder get a braided steel hose that will fit the grease fitting and move it to your engine compartment and put a fitting on the end of the hose you might be able to buy one from skidim my MB sports came that way from the factory makes it easy to lube the rudder.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 8:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oops here I am giving the wrong advice. I was thinking of the other Evan that owns a V-drive Sanger. Sorry Evan's for getting you two confused.

Nice profile pic, wonder who took it?

By Evan Brown (guido) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 1:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ballast....in my boat?? I don't run any...J/K. I run about 800 pounds in the rear and about 400 in the front, and as many people as I can without it sinking. The profile pic? Don't know who took it. Probably some bum!!! He, he, he.

By Rick H (blastmaster) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 3:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Evan (Brown)

Whats the deal with the orange life jackets in the profile picture?

A gag for the picture I hope.

You got a sick boat with tons of gadgets I hope you kicked down for some decent safety gear. I'd leave those at home before wakeworlders start calling you "wally"

Rick

By Evan Brown (guido) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 5:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Rick, get real man. We are all about safety and I, as the boat owner, insist that everyone wear an official USCG vest at all times, whether in or behind the boat. Sometimes, when the rider is having trouble pullin' his moves we'll even send one or two more down the line to him just to help him out since he's spending so much time in the water.

Dude, you know it was a gag. We actually didn't even know the picture was being takin. We were just f'in around. You should see the pic with our buddy behind the boat with 6 of those jackets sent down his rope. He got about 4 on before he ran out of places to put 'em.

By Evan Brown (guido) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 6:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh, yeah....I forgot. It's guido to you man. Wally....pffff, whatever.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com