bass blockers on tower speakers Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » bass blockers on tower speakers « Previous Next »
By indo (indo) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 11:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone using these on the their tower speakers? Would u be able to get better sound with less distoration. If you have a sub, would u even notice the differnce in the tower speakers. The only down side i see is the low power rating

By Ken (kschroeder) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 12:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What's up Indo.. I know some people use these but I have never heard a system using them. They are basically cheap passive crossovers that should eliminate most of your distortion at normal levels. At 150hz though you are going to lose some mid-base I would think. If you have them hooked to your amp, some amps have built in High Pass crossovers that effectively do the same thing normally at around 120hz, but unless you have your sub and amp hooked to the same channels that won't do you any good anyway and you'd require something like the bass blocker or a crossover.
By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 1:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 1:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You should cross it over at about 120 and you will be able to turn it up louder with less distortion.
By Lehmur (lehmur) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 3:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used that exact thing back in my high school days of building car systems (12 years ago). Definately take note of the low power rating. They cook easily. Those little guys will melt if pushed too hard.
By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 3:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
actually try to get the inline filters that go on the rca's before the amp if you have a dedicated amp.
By Psyclone (cyclonecj) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 4:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Use it as an excuse to buy a better amp with a built in crossover. If you're not married, you don't need an excuse! You can also buy a relatively cheap low-level crossover that hooks in line with the RCA's. You can get adjustable ones that are powered for about 20$, you can change the crossover point and bump the gain if you have a long RCA cable. Your amp won't work so hard driving the (speaker) filters instead of the speakers. Same thing that Ty suggested, not much more money and a little more flexibility. You could even get a two or three way one and only use the high pass outputs.
By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 4:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes, that would be best. You can find them very cheaply on ebay also.
By indo (indo) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 8:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
cool thanks for the info. kenny i will have to get you to check it out the next time i see u guys. im using a 4 channel us acoustics amp and im not sure about the crossover i have 1 channel bridged for the sub and the other 2 pushing the tower speakers
By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 6:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
US Acoustic amps have built in crossovers for the front and the rear. You are just running it full range. Just adjust your crossover on whatever channels you have the tower speakers on.
By indo (indo) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 8:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
cool ty. u can tell that i dont know very much about this
By indo (indo) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 8:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i guess that is the knobs on the amp right?
By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 8:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Usually a screw on the side with numbered markings around it. some have knobs. just turn the pointer to the 120hz mark or where it would be if it is variable between 90-150 and move it around to waht sounds good at the listening level you like.
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.