CLICKING STEERING Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » CLICKING STEERING « Previous Next »
By MATT (mattbob) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 1:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The steering in my boat makes a clicking noise when pulling boarders out of the water. It just started doing this so I know it isn't normal. Does anyone have any suggestion to the problem or repair.

By JAY EISCHEN (goinhuge) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 2:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is your wheel straight or is it turned when you start out pulling up?

mine was doing that also, and I figured out it was becuse my wheel wasnt straight and the rudder was viberating. not a big deal

By Matt Dettman (matt_dettman) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 9:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Matt,

You are experiencing "rudder chatter". Pretty rare but not unheard of. Under initial acceleration or sometimes light acceleration, the rudder will "chatter" back and forth. the "clicking" sound is the cable slapping against the inside of the cable housing. A new steering cable should cure it. Also, make sure the steering port is greased regularly.

Matt

By Millerman (millerman) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 1:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
On my boat to stop the clicking was as simple as tightening the bolts where the steering column mounts to the dash. Sometimes those loosen up but it is hard to notice.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com