X-Star vs Malibu XTI Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » X-Star vs Malibu XTI « Previous Next »
By Greg Kuenning (wakebrder7) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 7:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone have any experience with the new Malibu 21' XTI. (Direct Drive with rap around seating in back) I'm looking to either buy the 03' XTI or the 02' X-Star. The X-Star is about $3,000 more expensive. What do you think? I need a big wake! Will the XTI get it done?

By Dirk (dlb988) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
XTI is on the same hull as the VLX. It will get the job done. Check out malibuboatowners.com and search it. There is an excellent discussion/discription on the hulls there.

dlb

By Blayne (beercity) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The XTI is the same hull as the VLX but since it has the goofy seating you are more limited in adding extra ballast comfortably. It also does not have the rear MLS so once again there is a disadvantage. The WS VLX is THE way to go with a Malibu if you are talking about competing with the wake of an X-Star (X-2)

By Dirk (dlb988) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check out this discussion:

http://www.malibuboatowners.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=2327&s=7579aa4c101b47da55b8ccf4aae8a944

It is XTI vs. VLX. The conlusion was VLX

By MATT (mattbob) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone have personal experience with both boats? The XTI has the same hull as the VLX. The engine is forward, but the gas tank is moved back. With a couple of fat friends I think it could be comparable. It seems that the XTI would more evenly distribute the weight and could potentially make a better wake (with enough friends).

By MATT (mattbob) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would like to hear some X-star complaints. I can't think of any, but I'm sure that there are some (other than $).

By S Dub (sdub) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 3:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
FYI- VLX & XTI have two different hulls. I believe the XTI hull is designed to have a better water ski wake at ski speeds, and a better riding wake at slower speeds. Its a 'tweener.

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 3:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It depends which model Dub,

The 21 XTI rides on the SV23 the same as the VLX. The 23 XTI rides on the SV25 Dimond which is the "'tweener"

By Steve (steveb7) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 3:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you get the wakesetter 21xti it is the same hull as the wakesetter vlx (sv23) if you just get the xti then it is the sv23 diamond hull

By S Dub (sdub) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 3:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My bad, was thinking of last years WS23 XTI, forgot they got the new WS21 XTI this year.

By Matt Cour (mcsammamish) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 9:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg, the wakesetter 21 XTI does have the same hull as the WK VLX. If you are are wakeboarding 100% time of the time the VLX is the one. I'm thinking about switching to the Wk 21 XTI because I like to ski ocassionally and don't take a lot of people out typically. The Wk 21 XTi is a killer boat and offers a lot of fun in the short time I've spent in it. There is quite a bit of storage in the back area, so lead or smaller sacs are totally possible and it's a lot of fun to ride in the way back.

X-star, small interior, and flat bottom = rough ride = outdated early 90's hull design, IMO. P.S. I've put one on the beach,loaded up going around a turn island, you can figure out the rest.

have fun shopping

By Zedz Dead (ktm250) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 2:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The X-Star/X-2 hull was created in 1998, 5 years old yes, but outdated - guess it depends on your definition. At any rate, that hull does result in a rather narrow boat, but plenty of room for 5 or 6 people. What the hull does (and is probably most important here) is create a big wake with a great shape and a nice transition with a lip that'll kick you as high as you want to go. It also handles great and the boat drives as smooth as butter.

By Zedz Dead (ktm250) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 2:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
P.S. ANY boat has the potential to chine lock and end up on the beach if it is loaded up enough. When a boat (not just an X-Star) has enough weight in it and it's turning, so much of the side of the boat is far enough in the water that the rudder is rendered useless. The chine of the boat becomes the actual running surface. You can turn the wheel all you want and nothing will happen. To stay off the beach just back off the throttle a litte bit and the boat will turn, any boat.

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 10:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would be concerned about weighting the Xti. Where are you going to put fat sacs? That would be the main issue along with the hull. If it's the Diamond hull your wake will be a lot different than the VLX.
In my opinion there is no comparison- go with the xstar. Now if you were comparing the VLX to the Xstar it would be a toss up.

By Zack Stewart (raider40) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 1:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've had an 02X for almost a year now and have never had any problems with the chine lock. We usually ride with the stock Triple KGB, one 500-lb sack on each side of the engine and a 700-lb sac in the bow + 3 or 4 riders. The boat takes a little while longer to plane out but the wake is incredible. THe only problem I've ever had with my boat is the ballast pump problem but it's a warranty item which has been taken care of.

By Rene Rioux (norcal_99) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 3:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
X-Star wake > *

By RTMunroe (rtm) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 7:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have to agree with Rene!!

If you read any of his earlier posts, you will relize that to question what he recomends is just wrong!!

X-Star wake, it is!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com