CRACKED BLOCK?? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » CRACKED BLOCK?? « Previous Next »
By Todd (chadna) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 3:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Its gonna be 8-10 degrees tonight in Nashville. I've been winterized a couple months now, but this weather got me wondering. Has anybody ever had a cracked block or head on their inboard.

By JEFF E (jjeboarder) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 3:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
NO not yet???

By Rick H (blastmaster) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 4:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Put a drop light in the motor compartment and leave it on, It will raise temp probably 10-20 deg.
I hope you drained the exhaust manifolds, they will crack before the block does usually.

Good luck.
Rick

By MIKE O (batman) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 9:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am in NE Tenn and I got mine winterized and never worry about it! We have same or colder temps.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 4:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Todd, you have to take it to your Tige dealer to have it winterized or it will freeze up.

By Todd (chadna) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 6:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Lee, Its been winterized since before Holloween. Just wonderering how tough these engines are these days. When I first moved to Nashville from CA I had a Big Block freeze up on me and ever since I've been a little paranoid. Granted the Big Block wasn't winterized. I did exactly what my dealer told me to do to winterize the last 3-4 winters so I'm not worried, just wondering......

By bruce walker (bruce) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 7:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Toughness does not matter. When water freezes inside a motor, it's gonna bust.

By DJL (dholio) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 2:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
don't know what you did to winterize it but if it has been cold before, any damage is already done.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 5:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think DJL is right, so come order a 24v before spring.

By DJL (dholio) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 5:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
out of curiosity, how well are the tige boats selling? I am personally a Nautique guy and will never buy another type of boat

By Todd (chadna) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 6:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Obviously, you guys have not been listing. ITS BEEN WINTERIZED NOW SINCE BEFORE HALLOWEEN and ITS NEVER SEEN A TEMP BELOW 40 WITH WATER IN IT. I AM JUST WONDERING IF ANYONES EVER HAD A PROBLEM......Gees

By Xgirl (melanie) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 7:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Whoa there fella. You should'nt horse around with CAPS like that. j/j Hi Todd.
DJL I have a feel'n Tige is doing just fine. Nothing for you to worry about

psssst Lee. Gitty up. I wanna see pics from the last Board Bonanza.

By sean tribe (tribal) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 8:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If your really worried in canada they make an antifreeze mix and run the engine in that untill the entire cooling system is full of antifreeze.Never have to worry then.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 4:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Melanie, I put a few on our site on Saturday, had some one bring me some digital pictures to upload.

By BobD (bigd) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 7:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Speaking of the 24V. When are we gonna get a picture? I've got a 22i and I want to go bigger! Don't make me buy a Fountain!!!

(Message edited by bigd on January 19, 2003)

By DJL (dholio) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 9:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Todd,
If it has water inside the engine anywhere, it is not winterized. It better be drained or drained and full of antifreeze to be winterized. Who did the winterization?

By Todd (chadna) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 9:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
X-girl, whats up? I see if I have some pics. DJL my stuff is fine. I only posted this out of curiuosity..........

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
For you guys/gals, that are mechanically inclined, winterizing your boats next year after you see what the dealer does vs. what they charge:

Run your engine with the normal warm up then change your oil.

Then run your engine with the intake hose in a 5 gallon bucket with 50/50 mix water and antifreeze. When your exhaust water is green then you have replaced any water in your entire engine with a 50/50 mix. Then you can drain your engine and any trapped water now has a 50/50 mix. Bear in mind antifreeze is deadly to animals so try not to let the run off kill anything.

Don't forget to completely drain your ballast pumps or put the 50/50 mixture in the low spots.

BTW this definitely does not cover all the winterizing you should do but this system does you give you a little extra protection for those very cold nights.

I can't wait for SPRING!

By Todd (chadna) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bruce, thats one of the things I have been wondering. How much and where it can get trapped? My manual and all local dealers do not do the anti-freeze, but for peace of mind its sounds like a good idea. If it breaks I will take it to SKIHUT and they will handle it. They are the greatest dealer on the planet.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 1:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For the marine environment they make a non toxic, biodegradable pink antifreeze.

By DJL (dholio) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 3:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I do not like the 50/50 mix at all. Drain the whole engine and then run antifreeze through it. Check all of the plugs to make sure there is antifreeze in every spot. You can just drain it and leave it but you have no corrosion inhibitors inside of your engine. Definately use the pink or blue stuff. The green stuff is terrible to be using.

By Bob (bob) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 7:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Todd i thought that was what freeze plugs were for, just in case you did have a freeze up then they would push out of the block and sacrifice themselves to save the block?? I do know damage can happen elsewhere but heck ford and chevy have been making engines for so long now youd figure they would have something better to protect that expensive investment.
My merc has petcocks on the manifolds and block. Now i need to add one to my heater.

By Shawn (csquared) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 7:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Generally speaking, the Ford blocks have a reputation as being harder to crack than GM blocks. Not trying to start a debate or suggest that you don't need to winterize a ford block but this is a long standing and widely held opinion that extends beyond the marine environment. Depending on who assembles the motor, the design of the colling system and, in some cases, the year will all be factors in how much water can get trapped and where. A good estimate is that the motor and all the related hoses hold about 3-5 gallons of water (boats with heaters and showers will hold closer to 5 gallons, those without 3-4 gallons). See what pours out when you drain and judge what you think you got out.

Filling the motor with antifreeze will prevent scale formation (especially in the exhaust manifolds) and keep seals from drying out while giving you piece of mind that there is no chance it will freeze because of a trapped water pocket. It also protects and lubricates the waterpumps. Different manufacturers have differing opinions on the importance of this but if you are concerned with doing everything you can to maximize the life of the motor, it's helpful.

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
DJL yes straight pink stuff is better but just to clarify I would not run the green stuff near the water or run off area. Then always dilute any spillage with plenty of water from the hosepipe.

Shawn, leaving the block full seems like a better idea for the seals and such and of course less to do when you dewinterize. Just hook up the hose and run freshwater through.

Todd, unfortunately I am stuck in Memphis and can't wait to move back to Nashville. I am not putting down the local dealer here but I just hate to pay someone else to do the work when I can do it myself.

I still can't wait for spring!

By tre (tre) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just because anti-freeze is green, pink or, blue does not always meen it is good or bad for the environment. Sierra anti-freeze is a propylene glycol based anti-freeze rather then rather than conventional ethylene glycol. Sierra is also green. Sierra is NOT bad for the environment.
Sierra also protects much better then the "pink stuff" in a cold area (much lower freeze point). The only drawback is that Sierra is much more expensive (I think it is about $7-8).

(Message edited by tre on January 20, 2003)

By Wastemore (barry) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bob, there really isn't such things as "freeze plugs". Those plugs are used in casting the block and not designed for relieving pressure.

B-

By Todd (chadna) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
When my first Big Block froze up 6 years ago or so, the freeze plugs did pop out. It still cracked the block. If the freezeplugs are not popped out I am assuming that one would be OK??

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tre sorry I was thinking more on toxicity to my pets. Well I see your a consultant so cool man whatever works best for you guys up North there.

I'll look up the Sierra for next winter.

By DJL (dholio) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 3:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The blue stuff from star brite works great too. corrosion protection and protects down to -100.

By Bob (bob) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 7:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
you sure Barry, im sure ive seen the kind you have to tap in with a hammer and they are made of a soft metal??

By Wastemore (barry) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 9:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah Bob, I'm sure..

B-

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 5:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Barry's right. Another (and older) name for the things we're talking about is Welch plugs. They come in a variety of types, sizes, and materials, but they all have the same purpose. That simply is to plug holes cast into the block and cylinder heads so that the casting sand can be removed from internal water and oil passages after the casting has cooled.

Sometimes they may pop out if the coolant freezes; hence, the common name of "freeze plugs." But that's not why they're there. And whether or not they pop out, the casting can crack if the coolant freezes.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com