Info on Malibu VLX Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Info on Malibu VLX « Previous Next »
By Max Foteff (max1) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 9:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How does the Malibu VLX handle when weighted? I run with an extra 1000 pounds with my ballest tanks full in my 2001 X Star. How does the malibu handle with the extra weight? I'm currently in surh of a new ride for 2003 and the Malibu is a the top O my list. The 2003 SAN team is sweet, its just there's no room in the boat or storage at all. The 2003 Supra SSV is sweet also, however the price at the boat show shocked the hell out of me. The price was $59 in change and didnt come loaded. The launch was $45 in change. The Malibu was priced at $47 inchange but was loaded to the max Inc a 4K sterio system....Any info would be grand....

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 9:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I drive mine with the stock ballast filled and the wedge down and its does good. Ive heard that with just some more weight, its just a little harder to monerver at slow speeds. The interior is perfect for me. Lots of storage and the seats are comfortable to sit in. Some boats out there have too low a back on the drivers seat or just no support built in. The malibu feels perfect for me.

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Max, I have an 03, had on 02. I add an additioanl 7-800 lbs. 2 side sacks under the front seat, and lead in various other spots. The boat handles perfect. I can't tell much if any difference in handling weighted/unweighted. I can tell a difference in handling when using the Wedge, it will cause the boat to handle poor when making faster sharp turns, and affects idle speed handling, but worth it in my opinion for the additional wake! As far as acceleration/performance weighted, last year I had the 325HP Monsoon, and with the standard prop 14x18 it would take a little while to get on plane when loaded and lots of people. I went to a 14x16 prop and it was great, no issues or complaints. This year I ordered the 375 HP Hammerhead with the 14x16 prop, and lets just say I don't think I will have ANY issues getting on plane. Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions, I love the boat!

By Max Foteff (max1) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony, Thanks for the info..When my X-Star is weighted down it takes a country mile to even think of turning around. I like the vibe I get from the Malibu dealer, They all seam to really enjoy working for malibu. Have you had any problems with your boat?

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It turns just as sharp loaded as unloaded. I ride a lot on a very narrow river not much wider than an 80' rope stretched all the way out either side, and we can make the turn at speed without any problems, even with the wedge.

02, none... I had ~130 hours on it and not one problem. 03, none, but it only has ~3 hours on it! And before that I had a 98 Sportster with lots and lots of hours on it only problem I ever had with that boat was the water pump went out when I did something really stupid... but that was not any fault of Malibu or Indmar. Other than that I have never had a problem with them, and I absolutly love the wake from the VLX. I usually have 4-6 people in the boat so the wake ends up being really nice!

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 9:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I find that proper distribution of weight is essential to good handling, performance, and being able to plane in a short period of time. To tell you the truth I never drive my boat without weight, never make high speed turns (>23mph that is) but find it as good or better than most weighted boats. I run 1900 lbs + wedge and people. I find it works best with 50-60% of the weight in the ski locker and bow, with the remainder being passengers in the cockpit, stock ballast, and wedge. If people are going to ride in the bow, I adjust accordingly. In my experience to achieve the best of both worlds there's a pretty fine line of weight distribution(100-200 #'s). To much weight in the bow and the effective angle of the wedge is too great and it's a dog out of the hole. To much in the rear and too much bow rise and once again a dog out of the hole. It's really not all that hard but takes a couple minutes to compute and make the necessary adjustments.

Steve

By Skydog96 (skydog96) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 3:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yo max waddup,
i ride with about 2300, + people, have had over 4000 before. Like MIA said, distribution is key, but when ur weight is setup right, it drives nice. a little slower, but once at speed you dont even know. id deffinately reccomend perfect pass.

i run different than MIA, I dont have the wedge i have a 500 sac on each side of the engine, pluse the 250MLS on each side, so thats 1500 alone in the back. than theres the 500 mls ski locker, and then about 3-400 in lead in the front. thats perfect with only 3 peeps.

By Max Foteff (max1) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 7:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Skydog, I agree that the wieght distribution is key to a sweet wake. I do have Perfict pass and have the speed set at 22mph. In my X Star I run two 250pdrs in the front and the other 500 pds in the rear lockers. I tried going with another 500 pds in the rear, it seemed that the wake washed out a little. Anyway i have a test drive today with the 2003 VLX WEIGHTED.. The Malibu dealer is bringing a 1000pds of lead so I sould get a good idea of what to expect......

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com