drive boat on trailer? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » drive boat on trailer? « Previous Next »
By tony clement (tmas) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 6:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
no matter how many times i go out ont he water im still always a little nervous driving my boat on the trailer, not sure why i nver seem to have an issue. that ramos in california are so narrow and for some unknown reason people seem to swim, fish play near the docks it makes it distarcting. any suggestions on easing the nervs would be great

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 6:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just keep looking at the trailer and making sure nothing is in my way. I also drive slow just incase something moves in the way. Ive never seen anyone swimming infront of the launch ramp. If its that nerve racking for you, let someone else do it and you go get the truck.

By tony clement (tmas) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 6:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
this past summer at mcclure it was unreal people on rafts jetskiers etc. i have slowed my approach down alot and it has seemed to work. thanks for the reply.

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 7:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hammer the throttle and they are sure to run for cover

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 8:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That just proves that most people out there are just idiots. It shouldn't take much to figure out not to swim or even be in the water near the ramps. Do people let their kids run free in the parking lots or offramps?

By JDBindyke (aquajack) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 8:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The key to driving your boat, and I see Tony that you have an inboard, on the trailer starts with good trailer position in the ramp in the 1st place.
Start by submerging your trailer fenders in the water and wetting the bunks to allow the boat to slide easier and not scuffing the gelcoat as much.
Next pull the trailer back out until the fenders crest out about 4-6 inches so that when you drive the boat on the trailer you are actually driving the boat on the trailer bunks and not floating the boat on. This will keep you from over shooting the trailer of ending up resting on the fenders when you go to pull the boat out.
Too many people submerge the trailer too deep and then they merely float the boat on the trailer.

Remember this:
Float the boat off the trailer...Drive the boat on the trailer!

Also put your boat in and out of gear constantly during the entire process until you are lined up in the v of the bunks. The boat will come to a rest and then you can slowly power the boat on to the trailers.

Putting the boat in and out of gear constanly allows you to align the boat with out going so far and fast in the forward position.
If you go too fast forward you run the risk of damage if you missed your mark or you overshoot the trailer and slam it in the the bow stop or front roller depending on your trailer set-up.
Hope this helps,

By trash (trash) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 6:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My previous boat weighed less than 700 lbs, so it was pretty easy to load onto the trailer (I just attached the tow strap and winched it up). It didn't matter how the trailer was laying in the water: a gentle nudge on the back end of the boat and it would settle nicely in the rollers of the trailer.
Now I have a 20 ft monolith. I rely on the alignment poles at the back of the trailer more than I should. During the week, we wakeboard in a faster moving river. There is no room for error on the approach, otherwise you miss the trailer and end up on the launch because of the current. I usually come in slow and line up a little upstream of the trailer. When I'm close enough, I give a little gas to get the nose of the boat up on the bunks. This is where the poles work great, because if I'm a little off, they push me back into the v. Once I'm all lined up I give some gas to get the boat the rest of the way on.
I don't recommend shifting in and out of gear constantly, as it's a huge wear on your tranny. I do recommend wetting down the trailer bunks.

Trash

By Justin (jro) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony-
You ride at McClure a lot? What does your boat look like? We are there all the time.

By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
JD i try not to "Drive the boat on the trailer" because i dont have a dredge to fill in what i blast away behind the ramp which supports the concrete. I do build up some (not alot) speed so as to get most of the boat on the trlr and winch the rest of the way. Some ramps actually have signs saying not to "motor" your boat onto the trlr. Money is scarce these days so if we dont protect what we have now uncle sam isnt going to have cash in the future to fix everyones ramps that are falling apart and have water 2' deep behind them. JMO

By JDBindyke (aquajack) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Trash- in and out of gear in an inboard is not a problem like it is in an I/O. I was assuming that we were talking about inboard trannys. It is definately smoother on that style verses a Mercruiser Alpha drive I/O. A Volvo-Penta or a Mercruiser Brava Drive is a little smoother from an I/O standpoint. But in and oput of gear at Idle speed is not a big issue especially in an inboard. I was also assuming a "Bunk" style trailer and not a roller style trailer (which of course is harder on the boat's hull due to less square inch displacement.

Bob- I hear you about your "dredge situation" and would reccomend that for most the adjustment of the fender height to water level ratio is crucial and a little adjustment either way works wonders.
Each boaat-trailer set-up is a little different and the degree of the ramp make a difference as well. Just start with my intitial suggestions and sink or raise the fenders to adjust to your current situations.

As a Marina owner I see and launch-retrieve All sorts of different boats and trailers daily. We are located in a river so we also are all too aware of currents and wind problems.

JMHO as well

By Scott Yvarra (scott44) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aquajack has said it all. I don't think that it can be said or explained better.

By Alan DeLarge (tigeal) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My friend drives his 02 ski nautique on every time including the time one of the wood bunks came off and he unknowingly ran the hull across bare metal for about two feet. did not look good. so much for putting a new boat on an old trailer.

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ouch, that must have just screwed up the rest of the day. We had a bunk rot out on us with our old boat, but saw it floating before we finished loading the boat. Just fixed it with some ductape and were good to go for the ride home.

By Barry Micokiner (nohalfboats) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 6:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
where's my shirt?You got 2 weeks then its "lord and............ha ha

By C K Abe (ckabe) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 7:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony,
The depth of your trailer/fender position changes depending on the angle or grade of the ramp you are on. It's easiest when you launch at the same ramp on a regular basis. It's alot safer for your boat to have less trailer in the water or the trailer shallower than deeper. Depending on the boat/trailer setup, if your trailer is too deep and you over shoot, your boat will end up kissing something ugly. Hope this helps.

By tony clement (tmas) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 6:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanks all very much for the pointers. it always amazes me why people hang out at the dock but with some new info i think it will be just fine. justin i have a purple sanger with a purple tower 2003 just got it at the very end of summer. i live in los banos so we go to san luis alot also...thanks again all tbone

By Jay Carter (jayc) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 1:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I ride in the sea and often when we load the mastercraft on the trailer there is a strong tide current so its just a case of driver skill. I often have to judge how much the current will pull me along and hope for the best.

Just take it easy and nudge it in and out of gear until you are right on the trailer.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com