Ballast System Design and Installatio... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Ballast System Design and Installation Services... « Previous Next »
By Scott Steiner (motoxer) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 1:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks to this bulletin board combined with my skys the limit engineering mind I've been giving some serious thought to researching what it would take to start up a bonafide ballast system design and installation company. But my evil MBA degree says proceed with caution so as part of my research I'm posting a few observations here in hope of getting some insights from fellow wakeworlders:

Observation 1:
There don't seem to be a lot of companies doing complete ballast systems. There are a lot of companies that do "pieces" of the system: bags, pumps, manifolds, controls, but none that will design a system for a specific boat and then install it. The one exception (that I know of) was Hippowakes and they seem to be heading in a bad direction. For some reason boat dealers seem to shy away from this work and I'm not sure if its a liability or profitability issue. Am I overlooking anyone else that provides this service? Comments? Agree? Disagree?

Observation 2:
Maybe not a question for this board (since I think it contains a lot of "do-it-yourself" types) but it would seem to me as wakeboarding continues to gain popularity that the need for this type of service, and therefore the willingness of people to pay for it, would continue to rise for both older ski boats as well as new ski boats and even new wakeboard boats that do not have sufficient wake enhancement for advanced level riders. Agree? Disagree? Comment?

Obeservation 3:
New (and even used) wakeboard specific boats are very pricey. It would seem that a service such as this one would provide a lower cost alternative to someone wanting to get into the sport but not willing to drop $25-50K on a wakeboard specific model.

Any feedback on these observations would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone would like to discuss this "idea" at greater length off-line I can be contacted at ssteiner1971@yahoo.com.

Scott

By trace (trace) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 1:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
considered it myself a couple years ago. i have one piece of advice: check out the cost of product liability insurance before going any further. i found it prohibitive.

writing an aritcle for Dave was a much more attractive option. :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com