VLX fuel gage Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » VLX fuel gage « Previous Next »
By trace (trace) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 8:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
my fuel gage died and i have isolated the problem to the sender. i have a new Teleflex universal sender to replace it, but wanted to hear some feedback before i started on it.

i have a V-drive, and the belly tank is only about 8" deep. you obviously have to cut the stalk shorter for the sender to fit, but does anyone know how much to cut? i'd think the potentiometer should be on the centerline of the tank? are any mods to the float arm helpful? anything else?

thanks! ~Trace

see also...
http://www.malibuboatowners.com/forums/index.php?s=4ea34c6f96e1201e7e3775d3d136e806&act=ST&f=5&t=2339

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So the purpose of this exercise is for 2 reasons? First to get the gauge working again, and second have it read accuratly-something the factory has yet been able to accomplish!?

I guess my first comment would of been to replace it with a sending unit from Malibu, it would get you working but you would still have the age old problem of when it shows empty you still have 1/2 a tank!

My only advice to modifying the sender would be to try and fit/adjust the arm to give you the largest swing angle possible. I would also hook it up to the dash gauge before you install it and verify it's readings both at full and empty. The rest will be just trial and error. Good luck, let us know what happens.

By David Fletcher (david_fletcher) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Trace Im from Austin and looking at boats. Supra, MC, and Malibu. How do you like your Bu? Did you get it from CTWS? I haven't heard to many good things about them.

By trace (trace) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 6:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tony - yes, in a nutshell. :-) great idea on checking the range of the float vs the gage indication. will do.

David - i love the boat and Malibu, but have had issues with CTWS service. i hear they are making efforts to improve the dept, however, so i won't beat that dead horse again. i'm the second owner, but the boat was purchased there. i have negligible need for a service dept anyway, so it's not a big issue for me.

By Skydog96 (skydog96) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 7:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
trace, have u been out since its died, sometimes on mine it gets stuck, and i just restart and it kicks in again, just a reminder. h

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The problem of a gauge not working, and then working is almost always related to the MDC module and it's own issues. That's only a problem on '98 and newer boats, and it sounds like trace did a little checking with a multimeter where the sender wiring harness attaches to the sender.

Check out that thread on MBO, it's got some good info.

By charlie alexander (charlie) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
so, ever consider (I mean since its dead anyway) replacing the guage altogether with a fuel flow meter? It would measure fuel used accurately. Knowing the volume your tank holds and knowing exactly how much you have used would really be the same thing. And, most fuel flow guages measure other things also, like totals, instantanous use, etc. Last I saw they were about $149 at west marine, digital, and same size as the existing fuel guage. Certainly would eliminate that annoying bouncy fuel needle thing...I mean.. just something to think about when you are bored. Really easy to put in.

By trace (trace) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanks for replies. good idea Charlie, but wouldn't you have to remember to reset it every time? (i have no doubt i'd usually forget) also, the only ones i saw on westmarine were $300+ and for 3-1/4" cutouts.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=47083

By trace (trace) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 7:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
and yeah, my old sender puts out 63 ohms no matter what... full, empty, banging on tank with screwdriver handle, etc.

By charlie alexander (charlie) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 9:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Trace, I stand corrected, my apologies. It was a different site. Go to http://www.boatersworld.com, and what you are looking for is called a NavMan digital fuel flow guage. Its $149. Like I said, its just an alternative, but its easy to put in, and adds flexibility. sorry for the confusion, I should have checked before posting...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com