Rider Pulling Boat Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Rider Pulling Boat « Previous Next »
By CBrown (powdrhound) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have my first proper wakeboard boat... well its a boat with a tower. its lighter than any of the larger Malibus, Mastercraft etc.etc. Its similar in weight to a response.
The problem is that it seems to get pulled by the rider when loading the line. do others have this problem and if I got PP would it adjust for this.
my crew can be pretty particular about the speed they are towed at...is this eliminated with a larger heavier boat or a more powerful engine??

By charlie alexander (charlie) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 12:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You didn't say what kind of boat your proper wakeboard boat is. Getting "pulled" might mean it is leaning when you board out to the side or being pulled nose up when you land or start. In these situations it is probably just a case of weight (although most wakeboard boats are relatively wide and flat on the bottom to help improve stability). Chances are most of it will go away if you weight you boat properly... unless your tower is put on too far forward. Then you are SOL because the stress of the rope will steer the boat and you will have to fight it all the time. My bet is if you get the boat properly weighted and balanced, and get the nose down, you can minimumize it or eliminate it altogether. good luck.

By CBrown (powdrhound) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 2:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
cheers the boats an aussie one its a skicraft senator..theres a pic in my profile its not really getting pulled sideways, more when your going along at say 22mph and the rider does a decent cut it quite often slows the boat which is'nt ideal for the rider. but I will try weighting it as I might be able to get my hands on a couple of 250l fatsacks this weekend

By Jamie Schoolcraft (captfaceplant) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 6:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is that thing a jet drive? If so I hate to say it but that's probably your problem(The boat looks great though!). If you weight it down it may help the tracking problem, but will create a new one and that would be maintaining a consistant speed.

By LakeAustinRider (lakeaustinrider) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 6:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
A lower pitch prop might help. The picture makes it look like a jet drive. Is it? Then that's your problem right there. Jet drives don't "bite" into the water as well.

By CBrown (powdrhound) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 5:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nope its a Direct Drive with straight prop and yeah thats probably a better way to describe the problem is that its dosent maintain a constant speed when the rider cuts hard (the rider in question is 200lbs but so am I)

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 6:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
PP will help to alleviate your problem, computer can compensate faster then the human can on speed changes

By charlie alexander (charlie) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 1:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with bob regarding the PP. But what HP is the engine? If the boarder is causing the boat to slow when he/she lands then the bite is not strong enough from the prop. So its either overpropped for the speed you rpm you drive at or the HP of the engine is too small for the load. The PP will help compensate for this, but maybe "also" drop the pitch like lakeaustinrider recommends. This will push the rpm of the motor up a bit, getting a bit more HP at those slow wakeboarding speeds.. this will really help the PerfectPass maintain the rpm properly, and might be all you need once you add mass to the boat and get everything in motion.

By CBrown (powdrhound) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 3:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
cool thanks guys I'll look into those options
fyi its 270hp 5.7l mercruiser

By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
how much does your boat weigh, what pitch prop is on it, and how many blades are on the prop?

By CBrown (powdrhound) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 2:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
a little under 1200kgs dry weight (23-2400lbs I think)
with a 4 blade 13 by 14 or 14 by 13 prop (i'm not sure which way around it is)

By Bob (bob) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 4:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
im not too familiar with inboard style props, i noticed it was a merc and was thinking i/o. Maybe one of the i/b guys can help with sizing??

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com