Malibu VLX Tower Options Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Malibu VLX Tower Options « Previous Next »
By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 9:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
After a few boatless months, it looks like we may be getting back into a new boat. I had my heart set on a SAN, but after comparing (discounted) pricing I'm strongly considering the VLX. That being said, I'm stumped by the tower choices.

My dealer usually only orders Skylon Swoops but I've read good things about the Titan, and the Illusion seems to be at least intriguing.

All seem functional, so my concerns are:

Swoop - Overall build quality and rigidity...up to snuff?

Titan - With the new design can you open the windshield pass through completely?

Illusion - Is this really the shape of things to come?

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 10:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's my take on Malibu's Tower offerings:

Swoop - Overall build quality and rigidity...up to snuff?

Sure it is. It's not as strong as a Titan (in my experience), but if you like the looks of a traditional tower more, it's a fine choice.

Titan - With the new design can you open the windshield pass through completely?

Even with the old tower this wasn't a problem, so long as the tower was mounted in the right spot. I don't think the factory has it figured out yet, so if you want to be sure, order the boat without the tower, and have the dealer install it correctly (note, this is dependent on the model, the VLX has never been a problem).

Illusion - Is this really the shape of things to come?

My personal opinion is no. The one nice thing about the Illusion is that it comes fully loaded with billet board racks, Titan bullet speakers and 6 lights.

If it was me, I would take a Series II, either painted to match or contrast the boat, or in polished stainless depending on which colors you go with. In any case, between the Swoop and the Titan, both are good choices, with each one have it's pros and cons.

Which one are you leaning towards?

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 5:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Titan appeals to me because it seems like it woud be quicker to set up and break down as a result of the single knob release.

However, the more I think about it, the time I might save on the tower assembly could be lost in setting up the bimini. I understand the stock Titan bimini is a bit of a pain?

Assuming each is comparably sturdy, I will probably choose the one with the quickest set up and breakdown time.

Any thoughts on this?

By MIKE O (batman) on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 9:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
B T, I had the Titan on my LSV and it was a great sturdy (nothing stronger)tower and yes the Bimini was a pain, but I believe they may have resolved that on series II tower. I have the Swoop on my VLX and it is a traditional look, but I don't feel it is as strong. My $.02! Good luck on the new boat though!

By Rod Rinnert (deltahoosier) on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 9:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I love my BOSS Tower. Check the profile pict. The boss towers are strong and they now have a very stylish tower. I do not know the name. Go to the BOSS website. It is bossacessories.com (check the spelling)

By Philip (phil_deez) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 5:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would have to agree with Rod, Boss has some kick ass towers. The Billet and the Custom Swoop look really cool on a VLX plus they are built really well. I have an '02 VLX with the stock Swoop and have had no problems with it at all. It is strong, rigid, and easy to break down. One thing to note is if you plan to add lights, speakers, and bimimi top the Titan can get pretty crowded do to mounting points at the top.

By Allen Oblak (aoblak) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 6:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an 02 VLX with the Titan Polished tower that I had my dealership install properly. If you talke to Malibu they will tell you that you can not mount the tower and have the window, but if you talk to Titan they will tell you that the tower can be installed so that the window will open all the way. I love my Titan tower, it has the best pull of any tower that I have used. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, and Titan is great about everything that you may need more companys need to learn from them on how to treat customers

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 7:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Allen,

I see you have a bimini. Is this a Titan, or aftermarket? How easy is it to set up and break down?

I will be keeping my boat in the garage, so set up and break down time is critical...

By Allen Oblak (aoblak) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 8:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The bimini is a Titan and the first few times it is a pain but after you get used to it its about a minute to put up or take down. I also keep my boat in the garage I have an 8' door with 10' ceiling so I have to fold the tower doen to put it into the garage and I usually stand the tower back up. I love the Bimini, it just takes a little getting used to

By malibudude (malibudude) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 10:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
B T,

I keep my boat in the garage as well. I have gen I Titan and fits no problem in the garage. The stock cover also works as well. Another product that titan has is the prop rod. This keeps the tower from laying on the gelcoat.

http://www.malibuboatowners.com/gallery/albums/album43/prop_rod.thumb.jpg

By kevin v (vanderski) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 12:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have skiid behind a lot of towers and the titan by far is the most sturdy and has really good visibility also

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 7:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Based on the feedback, I'm seriously considering the Titan, pending final height estimates (my garage door is 6'10") and a commitment from my dealer to install it vs. the factory...THANKS!!!

By dane (greatdane) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 10:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think the new Titan tower is sweet. It combines great functionality with new sweet looks.

By Blayne (beercity) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The best looking towers on the WS VLX are the polished Titan 2 and the BOSS Billet.

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 6:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Malibudude, how much did you pay for the proprod? I used a 4'6" 2x4 and it works great!
The bimini is easy, 2 thumb screws and 2 snap on straps.

By trace (trace) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 8:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i haven't seen any tower bimini that's easy to unfurl. the Titan is no worse, but a bit small & overpriced IMHO. }

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have heard that Titan is working on a Swoop type tower cause Malibu is dropping Skylon as a manufacturer.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 8:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Went to the boat show last night, not one Titan 2 to be seen. I really wanted to look at one in person as that's the one I think I want for my LSV.

I looked real close at the funky new Illusion or whatever they call it. It REALLY hampers the ability to get into a LSV or VLX from the dock.

My dealer wanted $1850 for a black Titan plus $100 for shipping.

Surely I could find one cheaper than that????

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's actually a fairly competitive price Lance. We're running a group buy on MBO, and the cut-offs are 1-5, 5-15 and 15+. If you want to get info (we've agreed not to post pricing in public places), email me.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 6:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jason, in case you didn't get my email......I'm interested.

By malibudude (malibudude) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
WakeNup,

I beleive the price to be $49 bucks. They make two different heights as well.

Lance that is a very competive price on the Titan II.

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone have an ACCURATE measurement of the new Titan II tower height when folded? I specifically need to know the height above the highest point on the windshield.

I know overall height will vary depending upon the trailer the boat sits on, so I'd like this measurement specifically so I can evaluate different trailer options as well...

This is critical because my garage door opening is only 6'10", god only knows why!!!

Thanks!

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
malibudude, that price was for the original Titan, my dealer hasn't even seen the Titan Series II tower, much less priced one out yet.

I had to laugh though, he had a red XTi with the Titan tower on it and someone had been up in the bow and the windshield door was resting up against the tower instead of opening all the way up. I noticed this and asked him about it.....he got all nervous and mumbled some excuse about on some boats it will open all the way, others it won't. Then he turned to one of the kids working the booth and told him to jump up there and close the glass!!!

I decided right then and there, that I will be installing my own tower instead of having someone else do it!!!!! And I'll trial open the winshield before drilling ANY holes!!!!

By Patrick (faceplant409) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 9:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I paid $1850 two years ago for a black Titan. I actually asked Scott Sax of Titan if the windshield would clear, and he said "not on LXI's."
PS I love my Titan!

By Patrick (faceplant409) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 9:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I paid $1850 two years ago for a black Titan. I actually asked Scott Sax of Titan if the windshield would clear, and he said "not on LXI's." The windshield hitting the tower has NOT been as big a deal as I thought it would. I put another rubber bumper on the door and the problem is solved.I also put bumpers on the tower where it hits the windshield when folded down.
PS I love my Titan!
Pat

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 9:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The LXi is really the only boat that the Titan absolutely won't work on (as I recall). Because of where the bow cupholder is, there just isn't room to move the tower enough for the windshield to open.

The group buy is still going on, so let me know if you're interested.

By malibudude (malibudude) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
On the Titan and the walk thru bow window issue. Jason is correct though it's not really difficult to open the window up before you connect the tower. I did the same as Patrick I've got a piece of rubber where the window lays. To me it's really not an issue my mirror is in the middle so I prefer it closed anyway while moving. when stopped for lunch or something just open it and rest it on the wishbone.

Lance insteresting picture since I've not seen a XTI w/ a Titan on it. As Jason mentioned the group buy is still on MBO.

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 8:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am sorry to say that the Titan tower will not be the best option for me and my family. My understanding is that when the Titan 2 is mounted so that it folds low enough to clear my garage door, the walk through window will be blocked.

We ride most of the time with the window open, but due to Florida weather it is important to be able to close the window quickly. This is not possible with a bimini deployed.

Thanks for all the feedback, especially Obie Miller from Titan. The Titan tower is an excellent product, just not for me...

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 8:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't understand, that logic seems backwards to me. Granted I have no experience with the 2nd generation but my understanding is the the front hoop is the same...if I'm wrong disregard the following.

For the front hoop to clear the window it needs to be mounted further forward. By mounting it further forward the folded down angle between the top deck and the front hoop becomes more acute, therefore the top of the front hoop is lower(this is FACT, I've played with it). My front window barely misses clearing (about .5 to .75 inches), however, if I adjusted the front hem joint bolts I could probably get it to clear (not been a big deal). If not it would only take a slight shaving of the top corner of the window ledge to get it to clear. Had I had the tower mounted a little more forward it would clear but I was concerned about hitting the walls at the back of the storage compartments(I ended up with 1/2" to spare that I could have used and it would clear now). As it sits now on an Extreme trailer my boat fits in the garage and with tower measures to be about 6'10".

Personally I think they're both great towers and I've spent many hours in VLX's with both. However when it comes to rigidity the Titan tower beats every tower I've put my hands on period!

Now if you want to talk about getting it in the garage, unless the removable segment on the front leg has been implemented on the Swoop...forget it, you're not getting it in the garage with out removing the top half of the tower.

Either way, good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy with either. However, make sure the Swoop is mounted with larger backing plates that match the contour of the top deck or you will get gel coat cracking.

Steve

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 9:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
UGHHH!!!

I'd prefer the Titan. The Swoop I'm considering is the "low profile" version with breakaway front legs like the MC tower. I'm told that Malibu widened the window slightly for '03, exaggerating the problem.

Question:

Is the window resting on the tower leg a big deal?

I'm beginning to wonder...I am now noticing in pics that the mirror is ALWAYS mounted on the center window. Can you mount the mirror on the windshield in front of the driver?

If not, can kids get to the bow with the window closed???

I don't mind the window resting on the tower when the boat is at rest, but not while it's under way.

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 9:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Absolutely NOT!

I moved the mirror for better visability, but will serve your purpose as well.

Can't comment on the wider window. However my son and his friends go to and from the bow all the time with the window closed.

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 9:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Out of curiousity I just measured my garage clearance. Frame 6'10", rubber seal 6'9" and the tower barely touches the seal but I do take the tow spool off.

Steve

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 4:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone have pics of the Boss Billet other than those pics on the Boss website and Wakeside?

I believe this tower meets my specs and looks cool as well...

By Tahoe (tahoe) on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 8:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=4813
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=4808

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 8:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tahoe,

That looks great!

Is that your boat? How do you like the tower?

By Tahoe (tahoe) on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 9:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heh - No thats Jason Buffalows new VLX.
From what I hear he loves it.

I'm making a Tower thats similar to the Billet Tower with some added stuff. (Re: Being able to put more than 1 board rack on each side) Should have some pics in April when its rigged. Just wont cost the 3K that Boss retails them at.

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 3:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Those are sweet looking towers, I'd love to get my hands on one and see how they do.

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 12:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Steve, If you haven't checked that tower by April, Buffalow might be at WSSR, so you can check it out then.

He's in good w/ Boss so he may be able to hook you up w/ someone in your area to take care of you...if I tell him you're cool! haha! Let me know!

By Patrick (faceplant409) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 8:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
M.I.A.
Are you happy with the mirror in that spot? I've thought of moving mine several times. Just not too keen on leaving 4 holes in the door.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com