Diamond plate???? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Diamond plate???? « Previous Next »
By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 5:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone else have a problem with this stuff? Mine is probably the worst looking part of my whole rig. Anyone have any tips for keeping it looking good. I'm seriously thinking of replacing it with Gator grip, and it would probably be safer as well.

By Shawn Madison (turk_kildare) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 5:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Are you talking about your boat or your trailer?
tk

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 6:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The problem with diamond plate is it only looks good when it is new. What they need to make is polished Stainless diamond plate. In a month or so I will carry diamond plate kits for boat trailers, so you could always buy new.

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 7:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
When I was at the LA car show they had this stuff there that they were showing on diamond plate, but the most important part of their process was the polishing wheel they added to their drill. Just find something like that and you should be able to keep it looking good. I need to do it, I just didnt want to pay what they wanted for it.

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 8:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Phaeton, is it as slick when it gets wet? That would be my other complaint. You'd think the diamond pattern would have more traction than it does.

Shawn, that would be the trailer, sorry for the lack of clarity.

Nice boat Chad.

Steve

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 9:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
MIA if you go to replace you diamond plate, there is a different pattern that Extreme trailers uses that my not be as slick. You are correct though, wet diamond plate is somewhat slick.

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 9:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mine is an Extreme trailer. I actually broke my toe early this summer when I slipped on the formentioned.

Thanks,
Steve

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 9:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The plating on my trialer doesnt seem to be that slippery, but I honestly dont even step onto the plating, I either use the swim step or just hop down

By David Williams (wakeworld) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 10:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've never noticed it being especially slippery. However, I also have an extreme trailer that's only a couple of years old and I've got rust pouring out from underneath the diamond plate on both sides. It looks like crap and since it's only been in salt water (Carlsbad Lagoon) once about two years ago, I expected it to hold up a little better.

I'm going to have to tear it off and repaint it soon. I'll probably leave the diamond plate off this time.

By Cliff Griffin (seattle) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 9:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
FYI Guys,

that grip tape ain't cheap either, and if your trailer is black like mine, when it sits in extreme heat the adhesive tends to turn to jello. I lost two sections driving down the road last year near Shasta after the trailer sat in 105 degree heat for the weekend.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 2:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Steve, I asked you the other day, but I think you missed it....How's your new truck treating you?

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 3:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Lance,

Well...we LOVE it. The wifes Yukon hardly ever gets driven. Except now that we drive the truck almost excusively my towing % has drop to less than 50. Sure am glad we reconsidered the trim package per your recommendation, it makes a big difference.
In case you're wondering I'm getting about 14-15 towing, 17-18 with mixed driving or doing 80 on the freeway, and about 20-21 on the freeway at legal speeds. I'm thinking of Juicing it though argh, argh, argh.

Steve

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 7:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm glad you are honest about your mileage. A lot of guy exagerate their MPG with their diesels and lead buyers astray. Your's sounds like what I figured mine would be if I went with the diesel, the guys that claim they are getting 20 while towing don't do anybody any good.

We drive my truck almost exclusively as well. It is SOOOO comfy for me, I hate getting into her Acura anymore.

Glad your happy, one of these days I want to ask you about your torsion bar adjustment and how it's working out for you? How's your tire wear?

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 9:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Those guys are full of sheit! Either that or they only do 40 and take 30 seconds to get there. Some guys are doing a lot to boost their gas mileage, synthetics every place they can use them. Seems stupid to me to spend all that money and time to get 1 mpg better.

I just reached 5K and was going to rotate the tires today. The fronts have some feathering but thats pretty normal I think. They all still have the "nubies" on them so over all I'd say wear is pretty good.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 9:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm at 15,000 miles and still haven't rotated the stockers (I'm trying to kill them to convince Mrs LSV that I need new BIGGER tires).

Mine don't show any uneven wear at all. I'd like to raise the front enough to level the truck out and then put a larger, wider BFG Radial A\T on it. I'm just unsure about accomplishing that with just the torsion bars or if I should buy a 1 1/2 inch lift for the front? Any other side effects from you cranking yours up? Did you have to realign afterwards?

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 9:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I haven't noticed any other side effects. I leveled my front end to within an inch of the back. That way when I tow it is level or pretty close. Yes, I did have it re-aligned, most guys have said it wasn't necessary but better safe than sorry right?

Arg....you said lift..I fight that urge every day. 4"...35" tires...arg, arg, arg. These things have so much power I doubt I'd even notice the bigger tires with the things I tow, I just don't want to put out the coin and I have a real problem having someone else dismantel my truck. If I could do it myself it might be another story.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 7:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What all is involved with cranking up the torsion bars? Was it difficult to get them evenly raised?

Also, what size of tire did you put on? I'm thinking one of the bigger 285 or 305/75/16s would look nice but still fit under the fenders and still be fairly easy to keep balanced.

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 8:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mine has BFG AT's 285/75/16's. For those tires you'll have to adjust your torsion bars first. No rubbing but I did round the corner of the lower air dam to be sure it wouldn't ever rub. Torsion bars are easy to adjust. I verified that my tires had the same pressure and measured from the bottom of the wheel well to the garage floor. Or you could just make equal turns to each side. I think 305's would require additional clearance...i.e. lift unless you're talking a different type of tire.

My wifes Yukon has 305/65/18's and they clear fine but it's an urban assault tire.

By dburke (dburke) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 8:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Where do you get diamond plating? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 8:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Metal or fab shop. Check your yellow pages.

What are you looking for?

(Message edited by phaeton on January 16, 2003)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com