Subwoofer box pictures Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Subwoofer box pictures « Previous Next »
By A. P. (bigdad) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 4:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I currently have a bazooka bass tube and needless to say the sound is mediocre at best. I was looking to purchase some quality subs and was wondering what type of sub boxes people have. Any pictures of your sub box would be great

By Dan Schneidau (gotpwr) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 7:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a single Kicker 12" Solobaric in a sealed box in the passenger side storage area under the dash. I believe the dimensions are 14" wide by 12.5" high by 13" deep. I designed it to specifically fit in that area. Here's a pic from the front.

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 8:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dan, I is your amp installed on the sub box. From what I know you should NEVER mount an amp on the sub. The sub will shake loose all kinds of stuff inside the amp. Just a tip unless it is differant then it looks in the pic

By indo (indo) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 8:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
dan im thinking of doing the same thing. how does it sound and how much power are u throwing to it? did it come with suggested dimensions for the best sound?

By matt (supraman) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 11:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Andrew,

I went and asked my local stereo guys about this and they said there was no problem putting the amp on the enclosure. They pointed out some very high end mobile and home sub products that are integrated subs and amps. Just what they told me and what I went with.

By Philip (phil_deez) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 5:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
For what it's worth, Boss Accessories makes a really nice sub box. It's made out of plexiglass and they use Kicker subs. Check it out at www.bossaccessories.com.

By indo (indo) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 6:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
why is boss so overpriced? I like the box but that is price is crazy

By Philip (phil_deez) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 6:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
From what I have read, heard, and seen they use high quality products and they put a lot into their research and development. They do seem to pretty pricey though.

By Dan Schneidau (gotpwr) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 7:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Andrew, Yes the amp is mounted to the box. I didn't even think about the vibration causing problems with the amp when I mounted it there. So far, no problems since I installed it last July.

Indo, I'm running 600W RMS to the sub with a Kicker KX600.1. It thumps the boat pretty good. You can download a technical manual on the Solobaric subs from Kicker's website and it will give you info on what size and type of box to build. I built the smallest recommended sealed box due to space constraints.

By A. P. (bigdad) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 10:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How is the sound. I was kind of concerned of putting a sub in the passenger seat area because it would be too muffled. But I imagine 600 watts will still produce some sound. And give the observer a heck of a back masssage.

By Grant (mtbmudmachine) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 10:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey A.P what kind of boat do you have. It's hard to find somthing that you can just buy that will drop in there and sound good, You can have some one biuld you a custome one for not that much. Here are some photos that can give you some idea's check my profile for the web sight link where you can see more photo's

By Dan Schneidau (gotpwr) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 11:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
A.P., the sound is not muffled much at all, but one of the drawbacks is that it does vibrate the passenger seat, especially when you crank it. I've heard a few boats with Bazooka tubes and I can tell you that my sub sounds ten times better than any Bazooka tube I've heard.

Grant is right about trying to buy soemthing pre-made that will fit. When I couldn't find anything that would fit, I decided to make my own.

By Ben (big_daddy_ben) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 11:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why not mount it under the driverís area (the dash)? I had a vented box built with plexiglass; it looks great and sounds awesome! You can then mount your AMP behind the passengerís side/storage.
12" W7 Woofer from JL Audio

2 - ARC Audio AMP's, one for Woofer and one for the 12 speakers also my 12 CD Changer

By A. P. (bigdad) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 7:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the pics guys. I do plan on making a custom speaker box. I was just looking for some ideas. I must say Ben's setup is very impressive. How did you get that sub box in there. I like the idea of a tube speaker box because it would make an easier install. Has anyone ever taken the woofer out of a bazooka tube and put a different woofer in.

Here are some pics of my current setup. As you can see I do have a lot of room

sub
sub2

By Shawn Burke (02wakesettervlx) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's my setup, sorry about the pics being dark, but the boat's in the garage, and it's not very well lit.

sub

amps

By Shawn Burke (02wakesettervlx) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry, we'll try that again

image{sub}

image{amps}

By Shawn Burke (02wakesettervlx) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
One more try

sub

amps

By TY (typhoon) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 9:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post

By Shawn Macking (supraboarder) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am 6'5" and I can barely touch my sub stretching out with my foot.

By DC (dcervenka) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 5:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
AP - Move the amp board to the passenger side ski locker and build a custom enclosure for the foot well. You don't want to keep your amp behind the box, or you'll have one heck of time trying to change a blown fuse and possible overheating problems...

You can get the Kicker Solo-Baric 12" (dual voice coil) sub off the net for around $160. Buy a sheet of 3/4" MDF, silicone caulking, auto/marine carpet, and brass screws from Home Depot for another $35 - 45.

Here are some pics of a box my friend built for his Sanger. I will show the installed pictures later this week.

If you are building the box yourself I recommend building a template out of cardboard to make sure it fits. One oversight he made was that he did take into account the speaker grill. As a result the rear mounts of the foot rest had to be moved forward a bit.

Front:
k1

Rear:
k2

The box and the cardboard template side by side:
k3

(Message edited by dcervenka on January 15, 2003)

(Message edited by dcervenka on January 15, 2003)

By wakeman (skihardkore) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 5:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone have experience with Pioneer subs?
I'm on a budget and I've heard some good things about them

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 6:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
DC,
Nice work again. I went with a free air or vented enclosure on that orion hcca 12 and it rocks and takes up almost no space.

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 6:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
DC,
Are you going to BV?

By obie miller (obie) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 9:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
here's a 10" L7 at the drivers feet and a KX700.5 in the passenger compartment on an '03 VLX:

(careful using MDF in boats - it'll fall apart like a graham cracker if its not sealed up when the water gets to it!)

By Kelly Black (kellywb) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 9:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Obie,

Is that a free air sub or is it built into a box behind it? I have a 2003 Wakesetter I have been thinking of adding a sub in the same place. I also want to add a heater and was hesitant in building a box back there. Any additional information would be appreciated

Kelly

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 9:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post

my sub is mounted in a free air enclosure vented out the top into the front and it rocks. I am running 900 watts to the sub alone. I lost almost no space or leg room. Any sub rated for a large vented enclosure will do great. The adire shiva is a great choice. A subsonic filter is helpful but not a must to cut down on over excursion on the lower freq's. if your amp does not have one, there are inline ones that you can get for around 15.00. if you need any info drop me a line.

By A. P. (bigdad) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 9:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for all the pics guys. I recently picked up a dual Voice coil Fosgate 10" HE-2. I'm going to put it in the driver's side. I wouldn't mind putting the amp board in the other side but the passenger side is completely open. Does anyone have any advice on building a false wall.

By obie miller (obie) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kelly,

That is a sealed enclosure that is built into one unit with a new custom kick panel to hold the sub. We have done the same thing with heaters and just moved the heater to the top of the box.

Free air set-ups loose alot of beat.

By Ken (kschroeder) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Obie, that S10L7 looks sweet right there.. How's it sound? I just bought an S12L7 but haven't got it hooked up yet. How much of that 700.5 you got running to it?

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Free air is just as loud if not louder if you set it up right with a sub sonic filter and a decent crossover.

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That orion hcca 12" run with that orion 900 watt amp will have more output than the kicker l7 with comparable power in my vented enclosure vs the very small enclosure the l7 is in. L7 is not a great sub in a very small box. that is why the l5 came out.

By Ken (kschroeder) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
So are you saying that the L5 will sound better than the L7 in small enclosure situations?

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 2:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have done quite a bit of research on subs and kicker told me that the L7 works better in a larger enclosure or even a vented enclosure. The L5 is supposedly better optimized for smaller enclosure but call and ask kicker 800-256-0808. I do like the kicker stuff though but a little pricey. Then again so is the 40 lb hcca orion I have in there so whatever works I guess. There are other small box subs that are great also. Elemental designs makes a great one as does JL audio and the infinity perfect also. That Elemental is supposed to rock and is pretty cheap.

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 2:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Definately look at these:
www.edesignaudio.com/ep/kseries.htm

By Shawn Burke (02wakesettervlx) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 2:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was also told that the L5 would outperform the L7 in a small enclosure. That would be why I'm running a 12" L5. It rocks. I have a 700.5 running into that. To answer the earlier question, I have all of the 400 watt sub channel running to the L5, and I could use more. The other four channels run to the stock Infinity Kappas. I also have a 600.4 above the 700.5 to run the Resolution 6.5's and the Resolution 8" midbass.

By Ken (kschroeder) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 5:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Where is the best place for sub installation... Under the passenger's seat enclosed or under the drivers kick panel with sub facing out uncovered.

By rob (98air) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 8:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey, Ty, how did the ballast project end up?

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 7:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have been so busy I have not finalized. The t worked like a champ and was super easy. I have all the electrical run and the hoses in. I am just haven't mounted the pump than I will take a ton of pics. Heat gun on the water hose and it slipped right off for the t. I am working on perfect pass now also.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com