Crappy Boat, Is it Worth It? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Crappy Boat, Is it Worth It? « Previous Next »
By SCOTT B. (scoot) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 7:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an old 16" tri hull fan tail. It used to be used for shrimping but now it just sits there. Would it be worth trying to get a motor for it and rigging up the throttle and the wheel. Its really heavy so it should throw a huge wake and plus theres room for three fat sacs. theres also a place where I can put a pylon. RIght now I board behind a flat with hardly any wake at all. Would it be worth doing all this for the amount of money it would cost to fix it up or shuold I just save up for an already running used boat? Please respond.

Scott

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 9:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Buy a boat already rigged, whatever you can afford. You will probably spend no more than if you bought an engine, etc.

Sink the tri-hull in the Gulf for a Grouper/Red Snapper reef.

By Dan Schneidau (gotpwr) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 9:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The new X-star looks like a tri-hull. If it works for them it might work for you.

(Message edited by gotpwr on January 05, 2003)

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 6:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think a 16 inch boat would be a bit small

A trihull won't really throw a good wake. They are designed with a very flat transom. Also, hacking through any chop will kill the passengers!

I used to have a 1965 Evinrude Trihull - way back when! It's a great boat, plenty of interior room for a 16', but nasty in the chop, very heavy and most of them were only rated for about 90 hp. If you wanted a bigger motor, you had to completely redo the transom.

Conclusion: It may be a lot more work than you want to get into.

By bruce walker (bruce) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 8:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think after you got it all fixed it up you would be wishing you started out with something else. I used to have a trihull and I pulled it all over the place sking behind it. How much do you want to spend? A guy on this board named indo has a used Southwind Correct Craft for sale. It would make a great starter Inboard.

By SCOTT B. (scoot) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 5:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well I didnt want to spend more than 600 bucks(I know its cheap but its all I have). I already have all the console, I'm just missing the engine. Once I get that I'll be all set. As far as the weight goes this thing is made with atleast 2-3 inches of solid fiberglass. Its pretty heavy so I think I would need more than a 90hp motor. I have an 18ft flat right now so I dont think chop would bother me too much and it only has a 90hp on it. It goes pretty fast but its all aluminum and its really light. I'm just a kid so I cant pay for a used boat. I figured a cheap used motor that neads some work would be easier to buy and fix than coming up with a few grand. Since the boat is already mine it wont cost me anything. How much would an old outboard motor cost that needs some work? Fixing it isnt a problem since theres 3 people in my family who knows how to rebuild them. I dont care if its just a tri hull anything would throw a bigger wake than what my flat throws. If anyone is, or knows a person who is trying to sell one please email me.

Scott

(Message edited by scoot on January 06, 2003)

By Evan Brown (guido) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 5:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a seaswirl trihull that threw a kickin wake. I don't know what the hull shape is like, but trihulls can definitely make waves if shaped properly.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 8:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
As long as you have a head puller and a motorcycle carb checker ( can't remember the name of it, it has four mercury filled tubes for balancing carbs ) you should be OK woring on old out boards.

I'd expect in LA, you could find an old high stack Merc 115 for about $1000 or less. They go for $400 - $3000 here - depends on if they are working or not.

By Alex Kinon (nj_alex) on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 7:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just click on my profile and take a look at the mess I've been wakeboarding behind. I did everything I could do to this boat to make it a cool alternative wakeboard boat, but I'm still not happy with it. While it's a great starter boat for a father and his teenage sons, the wake just isn't big enough to really launch my fat ass up into the air. Thus, I recently signed on the dotted line and purchased a new Super Air TE. The point of this story? While fixing-up an old boat is fun and rewarding, if you're looking for performance you're probably better-off buying a boat that was designed and built for performance. Unless, of course, you're interested in buying mine! <g>

By SCOTT B. (scoot) on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 7:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well thanx for the advice. I'm gonna try to buy a used boat and fix it up. How much would some used ski boats/ run abouts run for? I'm looking to spend about 1000 to 1500. I know its not much to work with but its all I have, infact I dont even have that much. Thats just what I plan to have by summer if I get a job and I play my cards right. If worst comes to worst I could always just by a jetski. Just Joking.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com