Waterski Mag boat buyers guide Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Waterski Mag boat buyers guide « Previous Next »
By Todd (boardman74) on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone know of a place online where you can buy it. I live in a small town and could only find the buyers guide at one magazine store last year. Well I don't read waterski's other issues so I don't subscribe. I went to the magazine store today and they said they stopped carrying waterski a while ago. I would even buy a subscription now, but March would be the first issue I would receive. I'm in the market for a boat and really need the buyers guide. Can someone hook me up with a place to buy it? Thanks.

By TY (typhoon) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 6:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
WWW.WATERSKIMAG.COM
You can look there

By Tom Guellert (tommyg) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 10:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Todd, I like looking through the Buyer's Guide as well, to get the latest on all of the boats out there. I'll warn you though (as will a lot of others on this board) not to put too much faith in some of the stuff you read in the guide. They don't say much that's critical about any of the boats out there. You'll probably learn quite a bit more on this board than in the guide...

By Cyclone CJ (cyclonecj) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 6:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think that it is the worst issue I've seen. Every boat is the greatest thing ever to hit the water. Including the Regal with the tower that looks like it was made out of old lawn chairs.

By Steve M. (stevem) on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 10:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with Cyclone CJ. This is the worst ever for a WaterSki Mag boat review.

There is no ranking systems, no negative comments, and it is more or less a reprint of the manufacture brochures. This has typically been my favorite issue each year, but any more it is just about worthless if you are trying to use it as part of your boat buying decision making process. To add icing to the cake, the editorial page commenting on the process and the amount of work they put into the issue seems to be an awful amount of "show boating" for and end product that in my opinion is extremely disappointing.

If they no longer have the guts to tell it like it is and express their real opinion then they should just skip the whole review process and apply the effort elsewhere to the magazine.

By Stacy Hays (ifishok) on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 10:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's why I didn't renew my subscription to WATERSKI mag, and also won't renew the WAKEBOARDING mag. They are so full of ads and their reviews are ads in disguise.

By Joe (jp_over) on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 5:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ditto! Wakeboarding mag is a joke (my girlfriend got me a subscription for my birthday) & waterski is close behind... I won't be renewing my subscription to either.

By DJL (dholio) on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 5:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just read what I want to online. It is cheaper and I don't have the magazines laying around the house. Less clutter

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 6:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It's a good bathroom magazine ;)

I like to see the different models. I only use it for size, weight, motor... ...

This is one you don't have to read the articles!

BTW, nothing wrong with the Regal. Looks better than the tuna tower.

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 8:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Which is the better mag, WaterSki or Level Ten?

By A. P. (bigdad) on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 1:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heres an oddity,

Todd you may live in a small town and can't find the magazine but I live in SF Bay Area and I can't find the magazine. I went to 5 different book stores, West Marine and Boats US and still can't find it. I guess people are unhappy with the mag but I still like to look at the pictures and the specs for each boat.

By Jackie Chiles (huss) on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 1:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
James, are you serious? What's better - Red Delicious Apples or Mandarin Oranges? OR did I miss your joke (they both suck?)

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 7:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jackie,

It's funny, I was cleaning up my basement and found some old (10+years) WS boat review issues where they actually measured wakes, sound levels, ... I agree that the current WS Boat review is just adverts and sucks!

I read WS from time to time for how-to articles and reviews of nice places to ski (helps pass the long winter).

I used to get Level 10 and remember some objective equipment review articles but dropped it becuase the issues were always late. I had Wakeboard once but couldn't stand the attitude (I have two sons and will be getting more enough teenage attitude in due course).

My question should have been "for general wakebaording articles which is better?"

By Cyclone CJ (cyclonecj) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 7:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Alliance and Level10 are both good mags, Alliance is usually free, so it gets my vote!

By des (des) on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 6:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Regal! with the tv? how joked is that - the mag is a bit light on comment, but just in time for the boat shows - i know what i want to look at. go quiz the dealers, let the fun begin.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 7:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
And why would it be a joke des?

My take on boat buying the past few years:

In the 70s-80s it was the muscle boats that everyone wanted. You know, the testosterone off shore racing hulls you see at Havasu? These over priced hulls were definitely the "thing" to buy.

Now, from the 90s on, it's the "Wake Board Boats". For most, and I do not include most of the posters here, it's the over priced flash they are buying. Hey! How about that! I can choose form 5 different decal designs on this $45K boat. That cheap $42K boat only has three decal designs to choose from!

Looks over functionality.

I think it's great that boat companies can charge over $35K now for what would have been a $20K boat 15 years ago. The market will bear it, so why not charge it.

As for Regal? Why not. They have as good or better a reputation on hulls than most boats out there. For someone who wants ALL the toys and can afford it, it looks like Regal fits the bill just fine.

Just some thoughts. I've watched the boating evolution since the seventies and it's always entertaining.

By des (des) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 8:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I saw the Session at boat show 1/10 - with the entertainment center its a $52k vdrive boat. The cockpit of the boat is a bit cut up with the two rows of seating facing rearward. I like the v drive for the openness of the cockpit so thats a disadvantage to a me (family of 6). Also, the notion of an entertainment center on the lake is the piece that makes me laugh - i have more TV/gameboys/PS2/DVD things than brains - the lake is my getaway center with the kids. I am not commenting on the performance here - never seen it.

By BobD (bigd) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 4:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Happened to be in Barnes & Noble today & picked it up. Great picks of all the boats. Fun to look at. I wouldn't put much stock in the reviews but what do you expect from any mag that takes advertising from the manufacturers that they're reviewing. Ski mags, gun mags, car mags, they're all the same... But at least you get to see what everybody is putting out all in one issue.

By BobD (bigd) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 4:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Happened to be in Barnes & Noble today & picked it up. Great picks of all the boats. Fun to look at. I wouldn't put much stock in the reviews but what do you expect from any mag that takes advertising from the manufacturers that they're reviewing. Ski mags, gun mags, car mags, they're all the same... But at least you get to see what everybody is putting out all in one issue.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 6:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I looked at a Session today. It has some interesting features, and I think Regal deserves props for making a wakeboard-specific boat instead just sticking a tower on one of its I/Os.

However, the list price was over $60K. The dealer's regular price was $54,900, and the boat-show special was $50,900. That's without the monitor, a heater, a shower, or even a trailer. I wouldn't want to have to sell it for that price.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com