Titan or skylon swoop? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Titan or skylon swoop? « Previous Next »
By nautigirls (nautigirls) on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 2:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We are getting a new tower. We have the old skylon tuna tower but want one that is really sturdy. What are your opinions on this. Is TItan alot more sturdy? The problem with getting a TItan is that we will have to replace our speakers and bimini which will add cost. I still like how the Swoop looks. Really appreciate your help and opinions.
Thanks

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 3:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i have a swoop and it is sturdy....but then again I don't have stuff hanging on it yet.

t

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 3:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Titan folds down lower so it will fit with the stock boatcover.

By Mark Hultgren (suzmar1997) on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 4:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I also have the swoop on my boat and like it quite a bit,although I don't have anything to compare it to. I have the tower w/ the batracks and the skylon bimini (Which looks good but is a lil on the small side). The cover is not a problem as you can have a shop add the cutouts and velcro for a 100-200 bucks and it will fit perfectly. I'm sure they are both great towers, but I like the looks of the swoop a little better.

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 4:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yeah, i had a cover shop add cutouts with snaps, and little lifejacket clips on the rope...but then again, i always store it inside, so rarely use the cover.

By Kevin Bird (kevin_bird) on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 11:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The titan tower is by far sturdier, stronger and easier to take down than then swoop. We had it with 4 boards and 6 6x9s in a box on the tower and was still very sturdy.

By dane (greatdane) on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 11:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone have the new Titan Tower?

I think it is awesome. Great function and great looks.

It also allows for a great bimini that simply stretches from pole to pole. In fact, I think a stretch cloth could hook to the tower at 4 points and do the trick.

By Larry Lawrence (larry6) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 8:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What about Pro-Flite? They are great towers as well you may want ot give them a look.

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 8:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is my .02 cents: I had the Swoop last year and for the most part really liked it. Had board racks and speakers and it was pretty sturdy. Depending on how they are installed they can be a real pain it the butt to fold back up, beacuse the bottom supports can be mounted so they are pushing in on the upper part, this is real hard for me to explain, but I know a few boats with the Swoop that take 2-3 people to get it up, especially if it has lots of stuff hanging off of it. Flip side is you can climb up it eaisly and jump off!!! Which is almost impossible on the Titan. I don't have any personal experience with the Titan, however this year I decided to try them out, the new Series II looks really good and when you put all of the stuff on it they look even better. Titan is really talking up how stiff and sturdy their towers are, I don't know if that is just marketing or they really think their tower is stronger... if it is then it is definately worth noteing.

By Stan Tannner (sbt3) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 9:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a titan series 1 on my boat that I installed and the thing is rock solid. My buddy has a tuna tower that you can probably get a good 3 inches of side to side movement out of. I am not sure about the swoop cause I haven't seen one, but I can tell you for sure the Titan is very stable.

By Tom Guellert (tommyg) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 11:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I personally find the Titan towers to be butt ugly, but what do I know, I just have an extended pylon...

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 2:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Swoop would move from side to side, I don't know how much, but you could see it move when you hit waves while cruising down the lake. Thats funny Tom, that's the same thing I thought about the origional Titan towers, but the new ones with all the stuff on them look really good, if I can find a pic I will post it, Titan doesn't have any on their website yet...

By dane (greatdane) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 3:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tom, butt ugly???

the_new_titan_tower

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 3:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is the new Series II and it is loaded with all the stuff, it really makes a difference in how it looks, I think the origional Titan tower by itself is one of the ugliest towers out there.

I can't wait for my new one!!!

By trace (trace) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 4:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
is that a camo bimini??

By dane (greatdane) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 5:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My point on the Bimini...

See the bimini above in the picture. It could easily be simply stretch cloth from pole to pole. This yields a cheap solution with no extra poles. It would be way clean.

The new TITAN rocks. I was also not fond of the old look.

By Tom Guellert (tommyg) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 6:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok, the new one's definitely a lot nicer...but I still like the other styles better as far as looks...of course, like I said, I only have an extended pylon, so every tower looks nice to me

By john (john) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 6:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's a bimini w/o poles.

bimini on Titan

another view

By Grant (mtbmudmachine) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 6:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think "Tony" Has the best point. It's harder to jump from the Titan than the Swoop. I also think the swoop looks a bit better,

By dane (greatdane) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 6:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bimini poles suck. John, that is AWESOME.

By dane (greatdane) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 8:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
BTW, I doubt that jumping from the tower should enter into the buying decision. Geesh!

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 9:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Consider this...

By dane (greatdane) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 9:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joe, does that tower fold?
Also, is it not lower than a traditional tower?

By Grant (mtbmudmachine) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 9:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dane your wrong! The Jumping this is "Very" important. Every buyer should do a climbing test on there tower before buying it. A good place to try this out would be @ the Boat Show. Bring your climbing boots.

P.S "John That is the nicest boat cover. Do you have any more photo's of it

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 10:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
90% of my boarding is split between the Swoop and the Titan. The Titan wins when it comes to rigidity, hands down. However the Swoop is also a nice tower, not as stiff, but is more asthetically pleasing.

One thing to note, the boat with the Swoop tower has stress cracks in the gel coat after about 300 hours of use. My boat with the Titan, board racks for 8, 4 speakers, and about 200 hours....no stress cracks. I did counter sink the mounting holes and can't testify to the mounting of the Swoop.

One other thing, the Swoop on a VLX with Extreme trailer folds down to about 7'6", the Titan, 6'10"..just enough to clear.

My .02 and good luck.
Steve

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 6:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My biggest hangup with the Titan was that you couldn't jump off it! I was hoping that with all of the board racks, speakers and lights it would give me some good places to grab onto and some more places to wedge my feet into when trying to climb up it!

Grant, that's a great idea! Boat show tower climbing... ...hey I want to buy this thing! You really have a problem with it?

Thinking back to my Swoop, I had stress cracks at all 4 corners, the tower was installed my Malibu and the holes were countersunk. My dealer ended up redoing the gel under warranty-they did an awsome job, and placed large metal plates on the backside of the tower brackets, not just fender washers that were origionally supplied. I think another design issue with the Swoop it the preformed radius mounting plates they use. If you were to loosen up the tower bolts you would notice the natural resting position of the feet would not match the radius of the edge of the boat. When you tighten these down it pulls them into place(the boat)-albeit into a big rubber pad, but at least it looks ok. I have seen this a couple of times where they don't line up very well, this is really what causes the extra stress on the gelcoat and I think what leads to the stress cracks. Has anyone else seen this?

By bruce walker (bruce) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 6:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone with a SAN that has a Titan? Ever seen one? I like the Titan the best, but would I be dumb to order a new SAN without the tower, and add a Titan to it? Am I crazy for consdering this or what?

By Sean Bouse (sean123) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 6:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
John.....

Where did you have that black cover made? I want something like that for my Supra. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 6:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
dane,

I have no idea! That's Buffalow's boat and he got it after I left. I just like how it looks!

By trace (trace) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 7:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
looks to me like the new Xstar tower. IMHO it looks much better on that Malibu, but might just be the color scheme or comfort/familiarity with the boat's design.

By john (john) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 9:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Custom bimini (pole-less??) and boat cover belong to a Malibu owner in Australia that frequents MalibuBoatOwners.com. If I recall correctly, they are in the business and made the cover themselves. Also recall that they had somebody make the bimini for them and it was very pricey. Here's another pic of their full length cover...

custom cover

By dane (greatdane) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 9:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That Boss tower looks low to me. It also has a pull point further back which also makes the pull point lower (because of bowrise). Also, if you add speakers it looks like you will be hitting your head on them often. But, maybe I am wrong.

By swass (swass) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 9:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's one of the nicer covers I've seen.

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 12:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dane, I don't know. It doesn't look that much lower to me. Maybe it's 'cause I just like the way it looks!

John, I agree with Swass...that's one of the nicer covers I've seen.

By bruce walker (bruce) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 1:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll ask again...Anyone ever seen a Titan on a SAN?

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 5:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
nautigirls- You can keep your speakers, you'll just need to get new brackets from the manufacture that fit the Titan's 2.25" tubing. I would recommend the Titan, as it is the stiffest, and when loaded with stuff, the Series II looks really good, IMHO.

The Response with tower is owned by Skibabe in Australia. Jill has an entire album of pictures showing her towing cover and bimini on MBO. You can see them here. The Bimini wasn't all the expensive to make, but getting the brackets for the tower was more difficult. If I remember correctly, Jill's dealer happened to have a few laying around.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com