What's so great about MP3's? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » What's so great about MP3's? « Previous Next »
By Patrick (faceplant409) on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 9:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm thinking of adding a cd changer to my existing setup. Sony makes a retro changer that will play MP3's, cdrw etc. It does not need an input as it has an FM modulator and broadcasts on unused FM freq (88.9 etc.) How is MP3 different from CD? Does the player store entire song in memory, as opposed to cd which plays "live"?(less skipping?) http://sm.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-luJwzWFdkJv/prodview.asp?I=158CDX565M&s=0
Heres a link. I'm curious as to what you think!
Thanks, Pat

By ryan m (pans210) on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 10:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
mp3 files are small capared to a normal cd which is in wav. This allows you to put many more songs onto a disc to play it, you have have hundreds of songs on a single cd. The one you are looking at from what i know, seems to be the one were you put the mp3 onto the cd, and read it off of there, and not on a memory card. MP3 quality is said to be lesser then wav, but i have not really noticed it.

By TY (typhoon) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 11:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I put an mp3 in our boat and it is awesome. You have to download music that is 128 bits and above. 128 is cd quality. You can use a regular cd and put 120-150 songs on it.

By DC (dcervenka) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 11:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They say that 128 kbps is CD like, but I would encode/download mp3s that are 198 or higher.

If you are playing mp3s from a CD, you will still run into the skipping problem.

If you want no skipping at all you will need to find a deck that will play mp3s from a memory card/stick. Or find a deck that allows you to plug a mp3 player into.....

Hope that helps?

By TY (typhoon) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 11:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I usually download/encode at 256 but 128 sounds great. I just figure what the hell and still get at least 120 songs per disc and still play regular cd's also (big benefit). I mounted my deck in the back with the metal mounting bracket so it does not move unless the dash moves. It has not skipped yet...

By DC (dcervenka) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 1:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
TY - good point about the 120 songs. With that many songs on one CD you can almost do without the CD Changer...

Patrick - I see that you line in SM, do you every ride the lagoon?

By Ryan (ocrider) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 8:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Patrick,

MP3 is a compression algorithm that allows you to compress a WAV file (the normal format on any CD you buy at the store) by roughly 10 times. That basically means you can fit 10 times as many songs on one CD.

There is no benefit in skip protection by using MP3, and the quality, while not noticeable to most people's ears, is lower than the quality on a standard CD. That is the nature of a compressing algorithm.

One good thing about using a CD changer is that most CD changers these days, especially the Sony's, have built-in skip protection which you won't find in most decks. The changer in the link you posted has a 12 second skip protection which is good for a boat.

To sum it up, getting a changer is a good idea no matter what because you get skip protection that you don't get otherwise, and getting one that reads MP3's allows you the flexibility to put virtually any CD you want in there, as well as squeeze 120+ songs onto a CD if you really want to. I have installed that exact changer in a few boats for people and they are all really happy with it.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

By Patrick (faceplant409) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks guys!!
I think I'm gonna do it.I think it will pay for itself with the 12 second skip protection alone.

DC: no, I have never been in the lagoon, I hear it's the most disgusting water in CA. Maybe this guy was just trying to scare me off. Though I've thought about it HUNDREDS of times.(would be so convenient!!!) I'm kinda worried about salt and the trailer also. Any thoughts?? Do you ride in the lagoon?

Ryan: does the FM modulator work well? Does it plug into the antenna, or does it actually broadcast locally (8-10 feet)?

By Rod Rinnert (deltahoosier) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 1:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just my 10 cents... A FM modulator defeats the purpose of a CD Player. A FM Station can not recreate the bandwidth of a CD. It is the Cheap way out. Matter of fact, it is not much difference in cost these days. The FM cuts the low and the high frequencies by design and just wastes the money. The MP3 is great, but you have to be careful of the different recording levels and the fact that it is really hard to keep track of the different music on one CD. Sometimes, more is not a lot. Have fun and do what you like and then you will learn what is best for you.

Later,

Rod

By Ryan (ocrider) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 8:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with Rod. I actually bought one of these iRock wireless FM modulators my last trip out because the stupid CD player in my boat decided to stop working (Clarion is garbage). It worked ok, but is not a good long term solution.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F001%5F021%5F002&product%5Fid=12%2D2052

I would try and get a changer that can hook directly to your headunit if you want to maximize the sound quality you are getting out of your CD's.

By Blake (whirly) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 9:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Actually, 320 kpbs is the CD standard. However, it's tough to find many mp3's at the quality. I usually look for 192 kpbs.

By TY (typhoon) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 9:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i download 192-256 if I can and never below 128 and I cannot tell the difference in my car with a very nice system.

By TY (typhoon) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 11:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The other thing is the burn speed. according to maxell, the slower the burn speed the better the quality.

By Cyclone CJ (cyclonecj) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 5:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I got fed up with dealing with all the CD's and changer, skipping etc.

XM radio.

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 5:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
for what it is worth. I have a $220 JVC cd/mp3 head unit in both my truck and my boat. i have never heard it skip in the truck, and the boat only when i hit big waves...double ups, etc. it also has 1/8" jack if you want to connect an external mp3 player, etc to it.

As far as sound quality, your noise floor is so high in a boat, there really isn't that much of an opportunity to notice a difference in sound between a (relatively good ripped) mp3 and cd. i always burn at 24x (as fast as my burner goes) and it is acceptable to me.

having 10 hours of music on one cd is very nice.

By Alisander (alisander) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 3:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Rod, I don't understand how people care that much about sound quality in boats. Of course it should sound good but like Tim said if the engine is running and you have the have the sound of the all the other things which a happening around you it is impossible to get something like an "audiophile experience".

I use an FM modulator in my car and boat and its absolutely enough. My Mp3 player has a 40GB hard disc so you never get bored by the music and I can take & connect it wherever I want (car, boat, home). It never skips and I don't have to burn any CDs either. It even has an remote control if someone needs it.

By Kevin Geary (wakescene) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 11:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Alisander,
What MP3 unit did you buy?

By Rod Rinnert (deltahoosier) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 1:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We use the Audio at the beach quite a bit when hanging out. It is true with all the wind noise, that you will not get a "audiophile experience" when moving. We want the music loud and very clean and to be able to feel the music as well.

The FM modulator cuts the bass and the high frequency response of the system. Trust me when I say that when someone spends well over a grand for tower speakers, puts in nice speakers in the boat, Sub Wofers, and the amps to push them cleanly and very loud....you do not want to skimp on the CD player. Why pay that much for stuff and get all the good quality equipment to put in and listen to a "FM Radio" in the boat or car.

Most people will never know the difference in sound quality. I have a MP3 Player in the Truck and Boat. I just noticed if you are not careful, you will have a crappy sounding mix, if you are kind of playing the DJ role and hanging out. I have noticed through personnal experience, that having too much music on a disc can get confusing sometimes. I am not a very maticulas labeler, so I can loose track of the 150 songs on the disc and recording every song so there is not embarrassing pauses, skips, silence or things like that. I find it better to keep 20 to a disc. On my computer at home I have at least 4000 songs on it. I can go in and read every song in the list and change the order. I can deal with that. I really can not tell a difference in the sound quality from a good MP3 and a regular CD at this time and most people will never have the sound system to tell either.

Also, your 40G hard drive mp3 player cost quite a bit of cash I bet. Why be cheap on the interface. I have the Pioneer MP3/ XM radio tuner in my truck and it only cost around $300 if I remember correctly. The boat has the Sony MP3 player (got that one due to the remote control options) My CD burner at home only cost $100 for a newer one that burns disks in less than 4 minutes on a Pentium 3 system. I can burn CD's at will and do not have to worry about damaging my hard drive or carrying it around. All the solutions work. I know what works for me and my experiences. I love the system in my truck and my boat and they both thump :o)

Hope everyone had a good holiday....

By Patrick (faceplant409) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 4:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The only reason I'm still thinking about the FM modulated MP3 changer is it has a wired remote that it has a led display that shows track, etc. This is appealing to me as I can't stand the arm rest stereo placement in the Bu'. Now, if I could find a head unit that has a wired remote with a display on it(I don't care what it would cost) I'D GET IT.
Pat

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 7:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pat-

Sony offers a wired remote for their headunits that includes an LCD display. If you get a Sony headunit you can use the changer you're thinking of getting along with Sony's marine commander, or Access Technologies version of the same remote which also includes a display.

By Alisander (alisander) on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 2:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kevin, I have a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 with 40 GB. Check http://www.nomadworld.com/
If you want to buy one with hard disc please insure that it has a firewire interface which makes it possible to download the songs from the computer to the player in seconds. You have a display on the player and the songs are sorted by names, interpret, albums, playlists. The playlists are working great and are absolutely easy to create them on the player or on the computer. It also has some extra features like holding the same level of all tracks so you donít have to make louder etc. It was quite expensive tough. I paid about $400. For me it was important that I can use it wherever I want.

Rod, the thing is that I didnít had any choice. I had to connect it like this. Although the player has an line out my radio has no line in except the one of the CD player and I donít want to buy another radio unit yet. There are some out there with line in. This would be the best solution for players like this. But it still works well so I didnít thought about buying another radio unit.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com