TAPS vs Ballast Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » TAPS vs Ballast « Previous Next »
By fabien t (bigairmiami) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 8:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heard a lot of good things about Tige's TAP system AND heard a lot of bad things about ballast/pumps/time to fill and empty.
Is the wake as good?
Is it reliable?

winter is great in Florida!

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 8:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Have you also heard that Tige offers ballast (lead and/or water) as a factory option? Maybe the question now should be "TAPS and how much ballast" instead of "TAPS vs. ballast."

As for ballast, mine is slow; it takes up to 10 minutes to fill. It's not a big deal, though. How many people get to a riding spot and are in the water waiting for a pull within 10 minutes of launching the boat?

(Message edited by fogey on December 26, 2002)

By Ray M (wakeborder5) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 9:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How can you have heard bad things if they are brand new and not many people even have them.

By JEFF E (jjeboarder) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 10:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ray "TAPS" are not brand new.
I have never heard bad things about them.

By JAY EISCHEN (goinhuge) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 10:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have taps and I also use sacs. I use 2 sacs on the sides of the motor and 1 in the front laid across the front seats you just have to play with it and get it just right it will take a while but when you you will like the differences

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 12:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
TAPS works really well to shape the wake. Without ballast my wake (Tige 20v) is relatively small even with TAPS all the way up. For a beginner it's fine, but now I usually have about 1000 - 1500# of ballast and people in the boat and the wake is much bigger.

One thing I really like about it is that I can change the shape for beginners so they can handle the wake even with ballast in the boat. Without it the wake would be too big and steep for them to even cross.

By face planter (mastercraft1995) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 2:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 1995 Prostar 205 that has a good wake with 350 pounds on each side of the motor and a couple of people in the back. I have also riden behind the Tige Moto Fox boat (or what ever it was called)with TAPS and wake was really nice. Then I tried to ski behind the Tige, it wasn't fun. I take the weight out of my boat and I have a very small wake at 34-36 mph. You have to weigh what you want. The Tige wake was better but the slalom wake SUCKED. I add a couple of phat sacks and people and I'm almost to the Tige wake. It only takes about 3-5 minutes to fill and unfill the sacks not a big deal. I do lose alot of room which sucks but you get use to it.

By Alan DeLarge (tigeal) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 3:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Face planter, when you use the word "tige" it does not refer to just one boat! The one you mention "Moto Fox boat" is a 21v ( I think) and not meant to have a good slalom wake, on the other hand I currently have a 20i and the wake sucks for boarding but is smaller and cleaner than both my friends 2000 and 2001 ski nautiques at 36 mph slalom speed. can't have it all.

By Ray M (wakeborder5) on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 9:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was talking about balast not TAPS, I have TAPS in my boat and they work really good

By fabien t (bigairmiami) on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 1:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bottom line guys
Is TAPS sufficient to create a sweet wake or do u need to add ballast anyway?

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 2:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Only YOU can answer that question in a way that makes sense for YOU. Test ride a Tige--with and without ballast if possible--to see if YOU like it.

You may be asking if you can get by without ballast because it seems like a hassle. Built-in ballast really isn't a hassle, and now EVERY wakeboard-specific boat offers it. What does that tell you?

Or, are you just trolling for an argument about what TAPS does and does not do? If so, this board has addressed that topic ad naseum.

By Alan DeLarge (tigeal) on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 3:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Taps is a very nice option, being able to control the attitude of the boat for various reasons, running in rough water you can trim the bow up etc. But it is not the final answer on creating a huge wake, ballast is still in the equasion. my 2cents.

By Matt Dettman (matt_dettman) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 10:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Fabian,

Speaking as a Tige' dealer I can tell you that the new 22V equipped with TAPS and without ballast creates a beautiful wake for many boarders. With the core weight added (600 lbs), the wake is big, nice and clean and can be ridden back to at least 80'. We ride with a full tank of gas, core weight and four or five people and the wake is just fine for all of us. We are of different skill levels and with the TAPS and core weight it's super fast to simply adjust the TAPS for each rider.

Only you can judge as to whether or not the wake is "big enough". If you would want to go the extra mile and add a ballast system, the wake would just get bigger. The TAPS system simply allows you to shape the wakes.

Happy New Year!

Matt

By fabien t (bigairmiami) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 1:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Matt
You answered what I needed to know...
Happy New Year!
Fabien

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com