Sub Feedback requested Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Sub Feedback requested « Previous Next »
By Tom Guellert (tommyg) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 9:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I currently have a Clarion 10" marine sub in my boat, and I gotta say that I think it pretty much sucks. I'm thinking of getting a Kicker 10" VR sub to replace it. Any feedback? Will I see a big difference? The Clarion distorts pretty easily...

By TY (typhoon) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 9:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is it in a sealed enclosure? how much power are you running to it?

By Gerry Oppliger ACTIVE WATER SPORTS (g_man) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The problem is not many people are building a decent free air sub anymore. If you have the space build a box the put a Kicker Comp VR in it and it will sound 10 times better.

By TY (typhoon) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you have to go free air and can fit a 12" go with the shiva from adire audio. I don't think they make a 10". if you can seal it, that is the best. If not and you have to use a 10" use the kicker free air and not the vr. The best sub you can use is the orion hcca10 but it is spendy and requires a lot of power.

By Tom Guellert (tommyg) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm running it free air, off of an Eclipse five channel amp that also runs eight speakers, i think it's about 540 watts total. I know my best bet is to build some sort of enclosure and get a seperate amp, but I'm just hoping to get a bit better, as I don't need the best system, it just bugs the crap out of me when the Clarion is totally distorted! Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out the kicker free air...

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would have a go at doing a temp rewire job on the sub and just drop some more amps on it, sometimes distorted sound comes from lack of power rather than speaker performance.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kicker is great but I would go with a JL Audio sub instead.

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
eight speakers? do you know how many ohms the amps looking at on the sub channel?

By TY (typhoon) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with jl 100 percent if it is sealed as it is one of the best subs you can buy with a 250 watt rms (w3). If it is free air, the jl will not work well.

By wakeman (skihardkore) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 4:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
dude, it's totally not your speaker. if you're only putting that small amount of power into it, it's bound to distort! more power to your sub will do the trick

By Kevin Geary (wakescene) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 4:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry to say, but YES, it is the speaker. The Clarion 10" was not designed good enough to handle power, nor the abuse most of us put a sub thru. If you have never felt or worked with one, then beware!

It has a plastic basket, a tiny voice-coil, and and limited Xmax, not to mention a very low (for a 10") RMS rating. It would work real well as a middle of the road Mid-Bass speaker, but was never really designed to handle the Sub-Bass as most might think.

Tom,
Upgrade to something else and put it in an enclosure! Even the the lower JL series (W0/W1) are very good in comparison with the Clarion. The shiva from adire audio is AWESOME and sweeping the car audio scenes with great reviews.

What you might want to think about is a ported enclosure. A properly tuned ported enclosure would provide great output and sound excellent as well.

KG

By Tom Guellert (tommyg) on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 5:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm going to try a new sub, then if it doesn't get quite a bit better, I'll look into other power options...

By TY (typhoon) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 6:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
KG is right on the money. If you are going to go free air, go shiva. As Kevin said though, sealed would be better and the w0 and w1 are very nice and do very well with less power.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com