AMP FOR MB QUARTS? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » AMP FOR MB QUARTS? « Previous Next »
By JEFF E (jjeboarder) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 9:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How much AMP do I need?
I will be installing 4 MB QUARTS on my tower soon.
I have a 10" sub and a 600w.4 Kenwood AMP.
I need to know if it is enough AMP to run 300w to the sub & 300w to the four tower speakers?
I'am trying to do this as cheap as posb.

By Mike Smith (bond) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Jeff what you said four (4) MB Quart to your tower (Define) what you mean by four, I'm assuming you are running a set of Boss B-50'S????

By JEFF E (jjeboarder) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'am making my own can's.
4 MB Quarts 6.5 coaxials.

By JEFF E (jjeboarder) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How much power do they need?

By Kevin Geary (wakescene) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Any 6.5" Quart should get about 75watts/ch RMS, this is for all series except for the Q's, then you are talking about 125Watt/ch RMS.

If you are looking to go cheap, then 50watts/ch RMS should do fine.

KG

By JEFF E (jjeboarder) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 1:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The MB Quarts are RKC116 6.5".
Is it bad to run two speakers on one channel of the AMP.

My AMP is 150w per. channel, and there are 4 channel's. I plan to run two channel's to the sub, and the other two, to the four RKC116 MB Quart on the tower.
Is it worth it to buy another AMP so I can put more power to them (MB Quart RKC116).

By Nigel Pitcairn (elevenmg) on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 6:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
No its not bad to run two speakers on one channel of an amp.

this link is for subs but it applys to any speaker in terms of ohms law. just make sure your amp is 2 ohm stable.

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/2svc.html

By Doug Hanson (xtigeman) on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 8:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Better to stay in 4 ohm if you can afford it than run parallel. I don't care what amp you have, even amps stable down to 1/2 or 1/4 ohm will likely overheat when run at very high volumes in 2 ohm parallel for extended periods of time driving full range speakers. You will also lose a little sound quality at full range and more so if the amp is not that great to begin with.

The problem is that it is nearly impossible to find a good quality 4 channel amp that has a true 4 ohm output above 125 watts. I think you need close to 200 watts per channel to hear well without driving your amp too hard in very hot conditions. I have used a lot of different amp speaker set ups. The MBs will handle a decent amount of power and need a lot of power because there are not very efficient. I would run two 2 channel amps that are 200 X 2 at 4 ohm or an 800 watt amp. If run parallel, run at least 300 to 350 watts per channel so you can take the gains way down so the amp will not be strained and run hot at high volumes. Caveat. Do not bridge and then run 2 ohm parallel.

What brand to get depends on your budget. A good quality amp will run you at least a dollar a TRUE watt. PPI makes a nice and relatively inexpensive 200 X 2 at 4 ohms.

By TY (typhoon) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 2:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just fyi but hifonics has had a ton of amps on ebay lately for cheap. They are raw power and most can run 1-2 ohm mono.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com