Supra vs Malibu Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Supra vs Malibu « Previous Next »
By David Fletcher (david_fletcher) on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 10:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Same price and service, which one is your preferred choice. Iam looking to buy one soon.

By rich (supradad) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
David- I used to own a Malibu Sunsetter and currently own a 2000 Supra Launch. Both are good choices that you will enjoy. At this point you have to demo both WITH the weight you will normally ride with added. Then get reports from other boat owners on how the dealership has treated them when they had a problem. Everyone will love the dealers if they haven't had a problem that had to get taken care of. People you think are nice may not be so nice once they have your money. Good luck and enjoy your choice!!
rich

By dane (greatdane) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
dealer is very very important.

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 4:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I will note that the wakes are quite different too. supra launch wake from my experience is a lot steeper. I prefer the malibu wake. mostly because it is what I am used to! both are great boats.

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 6:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dane,
I agree 1000% about the dealer. I really like the Malibu VLX and have no experience with Supra. You should try out both boats and then if they are pretty equal let the dealer be the deciding factor. The dealer can make your life that much better or make you crazy. My dealer sucks hind tit. They are so crappy that I wouldn't buy binding lube there. A good dealer will make your boat owning experience so much better. I love MC boats but honestly if I could go back in time I would have bought a Malibu just because of customer service. Also, try to talk to some people that have already bought boats from both places. Sometimes the dealer will be really nice until he makes the sale. Anyway, I've been really burned by my dealer so just be careful.

By johnathan grady (pimpdaddygrady) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
we have an 2002 supra launch and luv it...there is absolutely no complaints on the boat or our dealer. the wake is awesome w/ just the factory ballast and bout 5 ppl...although i have never ridden behind a malibu there is a wakesetter at the river and it throws a tremondous wake. the dude who owns it never complains about it and im sure either boat u choose u will b pleased.

By trace (trace) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i see you're in Austin...
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/32299.html
...but i hear they're turning things around lately.

By JEFF E (jjeboarder) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 2:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I love my Malibu Wakesetter!!

By stusumm (stusumm) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 2:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
David, I own a currently own a malibu, and love it. And I have delt with both South Austin Marine and CTWS. I once agreed with Trace but I have seen CTWS turn the sevice dept. around. They made some employee changes and have been great. You cannot go wrong with Malibu.

By stusumm (stusumm) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 2:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
By the way, South Austin Marine is a very good dealership as well. If you go there ask for Owen.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 3:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Both boats throw great wakes. The detail differences may make one better than the other for your purposes (interior space, storage, wake plate vs. wedge, engine options, tower style, etc.).

As others have said, the dealer is important. But support from the manufacturer may be even more important. The manufacturer has much more leverage over the dealer than vice versa.

I've never heard anyone on this board have anything but the highest praise for Skiers Choice. I know that I have been very pleased with their attentiveness.

By Tom Bugg (tombugg) on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 7:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
We Just got our 2003 Supra SSV. I can't say enough about it. Great to drive, handles real well, Super refined in and out, and an INCREDIBLE wake! (for a good idea what wakes these are putting out, check the post "fake pics") I agree that both are killer boats. Demo both, spend some time with the dealers and make an educated decision. One thing the SSV has on the VLX is massive room.

(Message edited by tombugg on December 21, 2002)

By Matt Cour (mcsammamish) on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 1:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think that Malibu has got Supra beat with the overall fit and finish when you dig deep into the boat. The hinges, seat cushion thickness, dash's, Hard tanks for rear ballast, pull-up cleats, driver's seats swivel, are deeper, have lumbar support and the wedge makes the boat that much more versatile for wakeboarding.
I have driven both and like the way they both drive, but I think the malibu felt just a litlle smoother and more reponsive and quieter.

But i am a BU gu, So go with your gut.

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 1:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
This is the photo Tom is talking about....... Sweet.
Damn

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 7:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What is this guy wearing??? HAHAHA

By matt (supraman) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 7:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Craig,
That's my dad. He's 55. He's wearing Belmonts, trunks, a wetsuit, a life vest, gloves, a helmet and prescription goggles so he can see. Laugh if you want, but I don't recall seeing any pics of your dad on the water lately. I couldn't be more proud of him and sharing this sport with my dad has been one the highlights of my life. Young haters can't ruin that.

Back on topic, I recently was speaking with a rep from the the local Mastercraft dealer and he was saying that they are at a loss for how to compete with Supra: the local Supra dealer has NEW SSVs for $36,000.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 8:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is cool about your Dad Matt....My goal is to get my Dad on a board next year.

By trace (trace) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 9:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i love my boat, and as a Malibu owner i really hope that CTWS is making the effort. the better they get, the better my resale.

Supras are great boats as well. i've also heard good things about doing business with S Austin Marine and Skier's Choice, and Owen's a nice guy.

if i were buying new, this would be a difficult decision for me as well. if you're looking at V-drives, i'd go with the VLX over the SSV for the higher freeboard, new wedge, & tower choices. in a DD, i'd get a classic Launch. good luck in your decision.

By Wastemore (barry) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 9:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Matt, I'm jealous! I've been trying to get my dad(age 57) on a board for awhile now. He says he might try it next year. Your dad looks pimp if you ask me.

B-

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 10:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, it's funny. I'm still laughing.

By Tom Guellert (tommyg) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
if you're interested in boat quality, you might want to check out the nautique site, as they have a link to a jd power award for boating which I think is pretty much in line with people's thoughts. They have Nautique at 5 stars, MC and Malibu at 4 stars, Supra at 3 stars...

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, it's a not very stylish way to ride. Then again, the air/water temps that day were 51/48. Anyone for trunkin' it?

I'm just glad I'm not on the cover of Wakeboard Magazine!

By Tom Guellert (tommyg) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
if you're interested in boat quality, you might want to check out the nautique site, as they have a link to a jd power award for boating which I think is pretty much in line with people's thoughts. They have Nautique at 5 stars, MC and Malibu at 4 stars, Supra at 3 stars...

By bruce walker (bruce) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Way to go Grandpa! Thanks for shareing the pic. I hope I'm still boarding at 57. Maybe by then I can afford a new boat.

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 12:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Fogey rocks.

By Blayne (beercity) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 12:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Malibu does offer a slightly higher level of comfort and quality. both have great wakes (I prefer the malibu ramp over the supra peak) and can hold more than enough boards and buds for a great day of boarding. As it has been stated many times already PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE research both dealers thuroughly before you make any purchase. Cant go wrong with either boat.

By Matt Cour (mcsammamish) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 4:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tom, good insight but I think he was asking about a Malibu or Supra. JD & ASS. did give both Malibu and Nautique an excellent rating; the only ones. But you should give credit whrere credit is do.

A boat that is approved by the NMMA is 5 times safer than a boat that is approved by the coast guard. A person with a family should be awre of that I think.

By M.I.A. (steveaz) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 6:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
David,

I haven't read all these posts but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here.

1. Dealer and manufacturer...investigate both and make sure your comfortable with them as they will be your greatest asset or your biggest liability. As far as the manufacturer goes...I think you'll be fine with either of the lines you've mentioned as long as your dealer is reputable.

2. Have fun with this...demo, demo, demo. Test drive boats your not even considering but are of similar caliber (Nautique, Tige, Mastercraft....), if nothing else they'll re-affirm your decision. You don't want to be in this boat for 6 months and think...."I wonder if I should've..."

3. If this is your 1st boat (and even if it isn't) ask questions on this board, the more you educate yourself about the specifics of each boat the more likely you are to get a better deal, get what you want the first time, and enhance the boat owning experience.

Anyway, have fun with it and good luck.

Steve

P.S. Sorry if this is redundant and I'll step down off my soapbox now.

By Rick Tinker (rickt) on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 11:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
FWIW,

All Supra's are NMMA certified.

Rick Tinker

By Randy Gillar (rgillar) on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 6:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
FWIW,
One of the reasons I went with Supra is due to the preceeding post. If the prez is watching this board and providing feedback, I feel confident that Supra is interested in what is happening in the real world.
Just my .02

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 2:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm not a boat owner and not biased towards one company. If I were to pick though, between a Supra Launch SSV (or whatever it is) and a Malibu Wakesetter VLX, I'd pick the VLX. I thought it was a better all around boat...interior features and wake. (now everyone with a Supra is going to uninvite me!) I just thought it took more weight to get the same size and shape of the VLX's.

FYI, my choice would be a Super Air.

Here's a pic of the VLX's wake.

By Evan Patak (delta_glass) on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 4:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I havent been behind a Supra but I have been behind a 97' VLX and a 03' VLX. the 97' loaded up with people and gear threw a pathetic wake, very soft with no pop. I am not sure if the 97' and 03' have the same hull or not. When I was behind the 03' with full ballast and 7 people the wake wasnt anything special, almost poor considering we had about 2k total in there. I am used to hulls that respond very well to weight, (Sanger) so maybe its just me but it seemed that the VLX needs a LOT of weight to get a decent wake out of it. Also both VLX's I rode behind did not have the wedge deployed.

-Evan

By dane (greatdane) on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 6:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I own a 2000 VLX and love it. The wake is a bit rampy. Without a wedge, I really need to load the boat down to make the wake what I want. Yet, with a loaded boat, the fuel consumption goes way up such that 35 gallons runs dry pretty quick.

If I was buying a boat today, I would get a SAN and I would ignore the interior issues. Quality and Wake are #1 and the SAN wins there.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 7:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
And if I were buying a boat today, it would be another Supra. Every boat has compromises, and nothing does a better job of meeting my needs. Plus, I know I can count on Skier's Choice to stand behind it.

The X-10 and VLX would be close runners-up. There are several boats I would not buy, and the SAN is one of them.

By Wastemore (barry) on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 10:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Fogey, just curious.. why not a SAN?

B-

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 10:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Okay, I guess I'll expose my heretical views.

Of course SANs have great quality and wakes, but: they're too cramped for my purposes; some design elements look funky to me (the tower, dash, windshield, overstuffed upholstery, and warning decals, for example); overall, they just look so '70's; and they're way overpriced, in my view.

Many WWers love 'em, and even more may think I'm crazy. That's fine; SANs are great boats, but they just don't do anything for me (and yes, I've ridden in and behind one--albeit only a little).

As some have noted, almost any of today's V-drives will deliver enough wake to bust pro-level moves. Thus, other personal factors may become deal-makers--or breakers. So it is for me.

Here's a true story. In February 2001, a local dealer was anxious to get the CC franchise. In order to impress CC with his ability to move product, he offered to sell me a SAN for whatever price I negotiated on a Supra. I looked both boats over closely and chose the Supra--even though I knew that the SAN would be a killer deal at that price. I've never regretted it for a minute. BTW, the dealer got the franchise, and he still has that same "new" SAN sitting in his showroom.

By Wastemore (barry) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 11:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Okay! we do agree on something, Fogey..

I've never been on the water in one but have looked at a couple on the showroom floor. They *appear* to seat 4+driver comfy, not counting the bow. The first thing I noticed(after the price) was how cramped they appear to be. I would expect more room for 53k!? I can only imagine what happens when you add gear.
The amount of warning decals would be something i'd expect to see on a Fisher-Price handgun. The sticker guy/gal was out of control!
I still think it's a beautiful boat, but not for me.

B-

By Doug (supradoug) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 2:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
here's a pic of a Launch wake
wake pic

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 7:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jeff, will your friend give me the same deal for the Super Air? I don't plan on loading my boat w/ 10 people anyway...4 people...MAX!

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 7:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh, by the way...

"Many WWers love 'em, and even more may think I'm crazy."

Yes, you're crazy! haha! Just kidding. Remember that our different likes and preferences makes us all individuals.

By matt (supraman) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 9:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joe,

They are desperate to unload that thing. Last I saw, it was in the local "Thrify Nickel" classifieds in the $36k neighborhood. You can call the American Boating Center in Knoxville, TN at 865.777.2628 and see if they still have it. By this time it's probably got a "few" demo hours on it....

If you come down, be sure to look me up for a ride. You can give me some riding tips and then maybe we can tour the Supra factory together to get you better acquainted.

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 2:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Haha! Cool deal, Matt! Thanks!

The Supra Launch I experienced had 2000lbs. in it, according to the owner. The wake was small, compared to boats I've ridden behind with equal to or less than the weight that the Supra had, including the VLX, Super Air and even Sanger. That's just from my experience.

Maybe Dave should fly me out there to tour the Supra factory and do an article for WakeWorld...that'd be cool, eh?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com