Does anyones head unit drop back into... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Does anyones head unit drop back into the dash? « Previous Next »
By Michael B (michaelb14) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 6:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
After a couple days of riding, my head unit starts inching back inside the dash of my VLX. We have to get someone with long arms to reach around the dash and push it back up only for it to happen a week or two later.

Does anyone else have the problem or know how to fix it?

By Nick (drmalibupws) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 9:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Mike what year is your VLX? Is there a support strap on the rear of the head unit?

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mine has slipped down far enough for the ring around the faceplate to pop off once or twice, I've been meaning to pull the unit and adjust the DIN mount, but just never got around to it.

By Nick (drmalibupws) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can take a piece of abs plastic and cut a piece to fit around the cradle to add support.

By Michael B (michaelb14) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is a '02. It doesn't have a support strap that I have seen.

I will look into the abs plastic.

By Nick (drmalibupws) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is it a factory instaled stereo? They should fix it under waranty if so, talk to your local dealer.

By Michael B (michaelb14) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 1:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It isn't factory installed and I can't get the guy who did it to fix it...

I am hoping I can fix it myself, because I don't own a trailer, so it is a pain in the but to get it up to the dealership...

By Nick (drmalibupws) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 1:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I know Malibu uses the plastic pieces on there factory installed stereos, try and contact the Merced factory and see if they will send you one.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 6:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had the exact same problem on my 2001 LSV, so last night I pulled the head unit to figure it out. The two side clips on the DIN sleeve that are supposed to hold the head unit in place were bent out about 1/2" away from the head unit. And one of the "stops" that is supposed to keep the head unit from going in too far was bent out of place. All of this looked to be done on purpose and I still can't figure out why.

I was able to bend all the parts back into their originally intended spots and it appears that it will work just fine now. BTW....there was a support strap on the back of the unit that was connected to the cleat bolt, I plan on re-engineering it upon reinstallation to make it more sturdy as well.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com