950 hours on 88 nautique with 454 t... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » 950 hours on 88 nautique with 454 too much? « Previous Next »
By Rob Chatelain (robchatelain) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 9:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm going to go look at an 88 ski nautique which has the 454 engine upgrade.It has 950 hours,just wondering if this motor is as well built as the 351.I've been reading posts about engines with 2000 + hours but there all 351's.The 2001 nautique is a sweet wakeboard boat and should be awsome with 330 hp. just a little worried about the hours
Thanks

By Gerad (gotglass) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 9:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
you shouldnt have too many problems with that motor. 454's are good motors, but alike anything with lots of time on it, i'd make sure it all ran well, maybe do a compression test, and just make sure you are getting something in good shape. See if the guy has any maintanace records. sounds like a nice boat oh and the big block weighs a few hundred pounds more then the small block

By eric fox (fox) on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 9:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's about 64 hours a season. Not lots, but not a little either. Where is the boat? Is it only used a couple of months a year but run constantly in that time? What does the rest of the boat look like? If it's a well maintained boat all around, you could be in good shape.

Eric

By salty87 (salty87) on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 1:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i've got a 454 from '87 in mine. it's got 850 hours, i put 500 on it in the last 3 years. i'm not sure how often it was run before that, if it sat for a long time, but mine is solid. unless you overheat them, they'll run a long time.

definitely get a compression test.

By Gerry Oppliger ACTIVE WATER SPORTS (g_man) on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 6:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do get the compression test, but also check the steering cables and the wiring you could get yourself into a money pit.

By Craig Isom (cisom) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 6:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If the engine is the only questionable part of the boat, then I would say that the 454 is a solid, reliable engine - if it has been maintained and not abused. It costs alot more to rebuild than the small block Chevy's and Fords, especially if it is reverse rotation.

By Rob Chatelain (robchatelain) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 5:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the advice. I haven't seen the boat yet but will after the holidays. The salesman claims it is in very good condition,but being a trade in, I doubt if there are any maintenance records.
I was planning to do a compression test and a full boat inspection but I just not to familliar with the 454.
I'll keep you posted.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com