sea ray 220 Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » sea ray 220 « Previous Next »
By Mike Harris (doch) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
anyone ridden behind this wakeboard/ski wanna be?

By David P (dmpappy) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 6:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike,

I rode behind a 1994 searay 220 OV (cuddy cabin version) for 3 years. The boat has a 454 merc and pulled quite nicely. I put a tower on it and it was a blast. The wake is good sized and decent shape. It was an all around great boat for a big lake (mead in my case).

Oh, by the way... I've got it for sale now if you are interested.

By david bouvier (davidbouvier) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 7:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used to own a 99 190cc. i put sacks in it and had a universal pylon. It worked, but wake board boats produce a much better wake.

By B. Taylor Yancey (taylor) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 3:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My parents have a '00 210. They don't have the tower, but when I don't feel like towing my boat the two hours to their place, the ride behind the Sea Ray really isn't that bad. Only problem is the boat wants to "fall back in the hole", so it's hard to keep the speed. My MC offers a MUCH better ride, but it's what you make of it.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 6:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why, got a problem with it Mike?

By Mike Harris (doch) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 8:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The reason I ask is that I just had my 2nd kid and it might make a better all around day boat than my 99 super sport nautique. I sure would hate to give up those great wakes if the sea ray sux for boarding. Since my little ones (oldest is 19mos) wont be seriously boarding for a while,my wife likes size/convenience of an I/O and I'm an old weak wakeboarder (with a repaired acl and torn rotator cuff)I may have to cave. The '02 220 sundeck with built in tower looks pretty sweet. I'm just wondering if it'll put out a decent wake to do w2w 180's/hold speed. If so anyone wanna buy a loaded nautique ss?!?

By B. Taylor Yancey (taylor) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 3:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike, I'm in a similar situation, in that our son is just turning one and we plan on more. If you're a "one boat family" I will say that the Sea Ray will offer a very smooth, comfortable ride on those choppy days (which there seem to be too many of). Don't get me wrong, I love my boat and have no intention of sellng, but I'm fortunate enough to have access to both.

As for your wakeboarding situation, I think you would be ok. I mentioned the speed CAN be tough to hold. However, with the right driver, you can get the speed dialed in and you don't have to make constant changes as you do with a ski boat. As for the wake, you can always add weight, but you can also use the trim tab to dial in the right wake as well. I don't have trouble with WTW jumps TS or HS as well as 180's HS, TS. I've even gotten the nerve to try a few backrolls, with no success (but that doesn't mean much because I haven't landed behind any boat).

Bottom line, Based on what you're saying, you could probably be happy with either, but MY opinion is that you won't be unhappy with Sea Ray.

Good Luck

By E.J. (deuce) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 7:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Perfect Pass will take care of any speed problem. I think it all comes down to wake. Because wake is more important to me, I am looking to dump my Cobalt for a dedicated wakeboard boat. I have done the tower and 4 blade stainless thing but it is just not the same as riding behind inboard and V's.... My girlfriend, who pays half the boat payment is convinced that we should just go with a bigger Cobalt....she is under the impression that comfort is the final decision maker.

As far as children go, though a rougher ride, I like the fact that with an inboard or V drive prop is not a concern when my son is jumping off the boat at all angles. Some of the huge extended swim platforms I/O's are offering now, this may not be as much of a concern.

Anyway....my $.02

E.J.

By Aaron Bell (stencil_king) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 2:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I too had a Sea Ray. A 1996 Bow Rider with a 305 v-8. I have to agree with the prevoius guy, it was hard to hold the speed and would fall into the hole. And I felt the wake was full of air, a lot of white wash and it wasn't a wakeboard boat if you know what I mean! I also think there is more room in the Super Sport. I also agree with the previous writer, kids jumping in the lake off a v-drive boat is a ton safer. With the Searay we were always watching to be sure no one dove off the back into the outdrive. Just think about all the pro's and con's of each and then make your choice based upon the facts. Hope this helps.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com