STAY AWAY FROM CENTURION !!!!!! Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » STAY AWAY FROM CENTURION !!!!!! « Previous Next »
By Aaron Nielsen (lzyboy) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 9:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM the CENTURION line of products - take the time to read this. I will offer any new or used prospective boat owner all of my e-mail trails with Fineline and Kal Kustoms. If I can educate or save one, hopefully thousands of people from making my same mistake (Buying a centurion) then we have all benefited. Many of you may remember a post like this a couple months back where I stated Centurion has stepped up to the plate to address my concerns ( http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/32509.html?1034118765 ) . ALL I can say is total lack of customer service, broken promises, more headaches, more problems and nothing satisfactory done, nothing at all.

Along with all the other problems the Paint on my boat is also fading and fading bad as to where you can see the white gel coat underneath what used to be blue paint. The boat is covered al winter and summer as well as stored inside during the winter. Both Vicky @ Kal Kustoms and Rob Thayer at Centurion have made promises and claimed that both companies want to resolve the issues, however it's 3 months later and I a still without a check in my hand, without a phone call and still left with a boat that has more problems with every passing day. I keep a detailed log of all contact attempts I have made with the companies listed above and would be more than happy to educate any buyer out there to NEVER EVER buy a Centurion. If you want a boat to on the water more than on the trailer on in the shop, don't buy a Centurion.

*** Vicky @ Kal Kustoms has promised my check has been in the mail for over 2 months now and I am yet to receive it. Actual E-mail: "good morning. I believe that the fuel pump problem is out for payment at Mercruiser."

*** Rob Thayer @ Centurion has promised me some promotional products and goodies on September 5th and I have yet to receive a single thing. ACTUAL E-MAIL: "I apologize greatly for any problems you have had with your boat and would like to get your address if possible so that I can sent you some goodies."

It is not my point I want the box of t-shirts, stickers or even free give aways. It is more my point another representative form Centurion and Kal Kustoms make promises they don't hold up too or are not accountable for. If anyone has EVEN considered buying a Centurion PLEASE call or e-mail me first. I will make available all of my correspondence and do what ever I can to inform and educate you why you SHOULD NOT buy this boat. Thanks for your time; I wish you all the best.

2001-2002 REPAIRS
-----------------

4/10/01 - Fuel pump
4/10/01 - Fuel Filter
7/19/01 - Battery
7/27/01 - rotor assy - 100 hr service
7/27/01 - plugs - 100 hr service
7/27/01 - oil filter - 100 hr service
7/27/01 - Implr Kit - 100 hr service
7/27/01 - Dist cap - 100 hr service
5/01/02 - Implr Kit
5/01/02 - Belt
5/01/02 - Thermostat
7/01/02 - Strng Cable
7/01/02 - Starter
7/27/02 - Buzzer issue ( currently in shop )
9/03/03 - Fuel Pump OUT AGAIN
10/1/02 - Paint is FADING on boat, fading as to where you can see the white Gel coat underneath the paint

2001-2002 CONTACT ATTEMPTS
------------------

4/03/01 calls placed to fineline in regards to a fuel pump under recall issue - directed to mercruise
4/03/01 called mercruiser - they did have recalls - gave tech my info - ( call NEVER returned )
6/19/01 email to fineline for warranty issues - ( NOT returned )
7/09/01 email to fineline for warranty issues - ( NOT returned )
5/20/02 left VM for fineline for warranty issues, ( NOT returned )
5/21/02 Spoke to S buchner in regards to alarm system - referred to mercruiser
5/22/02 emailed mercruiser for warranty issues - ( NOT returned )
5/22/02 emailed C buchnerfor warranty issues - ( NOT returned )
8/26/02 spoke to S buchner for warranty issues & referred to Kal Kustoms
8/26/02 left message for VICKY @ Kal Kustoms for warranty issues - ( NOT returned )
8/26/02 called Scott P sales rep for Centuiorn for warranty issues - ( NOT returned )
9/03/02 Email sent to fineline for warrany issues and help with Kal Kustoms - ( NOT returned )
9/03/02 Email sent to mercruiser
9/03/02 Email sent to Kal Kustoms
*** 9/03/03*** PUBLISHED repeated problems on WAKEWORLD http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/32509.html?1034118765
( Coincidencs that calls get returned now??? )
9/04/02 Email from Rob Thayer @ Fineline due to WW post.
9/05/02 RETURN Email form Kal Kustoms
9/04/02 RETURN email from mercruiser
9/05/02 Emailed Vicky / Kal Kustoms regarding LACK of customer service and warranty issues
9/05/02 RETURN email from Kal Kustoms
9/11/02 Emailed and phoned Kal Kustoms - sent VICKY my receipts and information to get the $400.00 back for the most recent problem ( fuel pump ) and also set up a time after I get my check to have the boat in
9/30/02 Emailed Vicky @ Kal Kustom - she stated they offered to cover $$$ on parts but not the labor, not acceptable, they are still working on it.
9/30/02 EMail sent to Rob Thayer @ Fineline regarding my work and the products he was "supposed" to send me. ( NOT returned )
10/10/02 Emailed Vicky @ Kal Kustoms still have NOT received ANY contact form Kal Kustoms or Fineline.
10/21/02 RETURN Email from Vivkly @ Kal Kustoms telling me my "check was in the mail"
11/19/02 Emailed Vicky @ Kal Kustoms STILL have NOT received my "check in the mail" - ( NOT returned )
11/26/02 Emailed and phoned Vicky @ Kal Kustoms STILL have NOT received my "check in the mail" - ( NOT returned )
12/3/02 Emaild Vicky @ Kal Kustoms STILL have NOT received my "check in the mail" - ( NOT returned )

Dissatisfied Owner,
Aaron

By Paul J. Micklos (pjmicklos) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is an amazing amount of bad publicity you just put out there. Good job, these companies need to step up to the plate.

By tre (tre) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I feel like a much more educated buyer because of poeple like Aaron who post good and bad experiences. Thanks! Good luck.

By TY (typhoon) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Lawsuit? Isn't a boat covered under a lemon law also?

By Aaron Nielsen (lzyboy) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Board:

I wish I wasn't an example, however I am. I have began the process of researching the lemon law after that is seeking legal consuel, however that involves more $$$ and more time. I cannot express the amount of fustration I have endured because of this boat. The boat has spent more time in the shops and on the trailer than in in the water =( .

Aaron

By Chad (healing) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 11:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aaron,
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Could you post a picture of your problem with your paint fading? Whats the deal with the fuel pump? Is Mercruiser giving you any awnsers? Mercruiser has got to use this fuel pump on many boats on the water. Is it just a problem with your specific year? Going through your list of problems some are just service items but looks like at least half are bad luck Mercruiser problems or like they call it a Lemon. Hopefully you get this resolved, and that I am not kicking myself down the road for just buying a Centurion.

By Aaron Nielsen (lzyboy) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 11:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chad -

I will borrow a digi and post a picture of the paint fading, as soon as I can get my hands on a camera.

Fuel Pump: I have been told the "check is in the mail" for 2 months. . . . I don't wish any of my problems on another boat owner, Centurion, MC, CC, BU , no one. . . .

Aaron

By snot rag (rideut) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aaron, Iím sure I have talked to you before on other centurion posts. I had a feeling that centurion was just giving the lip service job to every one when none of my E-mails were returned and they made things worse with the dealer. I also had issues with my old centurion a 99 direct drive with the fade in the paint. And yep I was dumb enough to buy a 2002. DOH!!

I still feel ripped off for the problems I have had. I am now on my 3rd transmit ion it hasnít even been run yet due to winter storage.

Aaron is right avoid the whole company unless you like to be lied to.

By Aaron Nielsen (lzyboy) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah - We have chatted one to many times about this company and its ALL BAD. . . Lip Service is a nice way to put it - With regards to the paint fading issue, where was it? Mine is around the bend of the boat, about 2 to 3 feet on each side of the windshield above the rubrail. I have waxed it over an oner and over agian, yet the fading is still easily seen? Is this simillar

thnx
Aaron

By snot rag (rideut) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 2:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is the exact same place itís started small and worked its way all the way around. I tried every thing thinking it was oxidation. That was one of the reasons we got rid of the boat as a trade in for the new one we didn't want to wait for the dealer to coordinate with cal customs who in turn would contact fine line to find out about warranting it but I was told that it was under warrantee BLA BLA BLA...ĒWe don't know how long it will take BLA BLA BLA"...Any way I decided to trade it in on a new one and let the dealer worry about getting it fixed.

There is suppos too be a life time warrantee on the gel coat that is one of the sales pitches that suckered me.

By Mark B. (sickboy) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 2:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aaron-
Not sure if you've already found this, but I did some research for a friend on the Lemon Law a while back and found these guys, http://www.lemonlawyers.com/
Might be worth a phone call at least to see if they can help you.

Sorry about all your problems, that really sucks.

mb

By Michael Gilbert (heirborn) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 7:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have been reading these posts and I can go on record to say that I have been very pleased with my local dealer, Austin Sport Boats, and Centurion. They have gone above to the point of performing warranty work after the warranty period had expired. It looks as though many of your problems have been routine maint related and engine related. Maybe your post should read "don't buy a boat with a Mercruiser engine".

By Aaron Nielsen (lzyboy) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 8:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Michael -

If you read through my entire post it is the complete lack of communication between Kal Kustoms , Fineline and I. I have had to repeatedly call them for repeted problems and warranty work and 50 - 75% the emails or calls never get returned. That doesn't include all the promises they have made and i have yet to see anything productive done at all, nothing but lip service.

I WILL stand up and VOUCH for Austin Sport Boats and a mechanic named Craig. On my last post - 3 months ago, Craig took the time out of his day and offered me several more suggestions. This is from a delaer who has never seen me nor my money yet they did what they could to help. My dealer here in CA has also been great - wish I could say something positive about the manufacturer but if you read through my post, there is nothing. My problem is with the manufacturer, there lip service, the broken promises and lack of customer service.

Aaron

By dane (greatdane) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 8:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aaron, go get em man!
Sorry about the boat.
Sell it and get a CC/MC/BU/SU.

By Kent Wisenor (kwisenor) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 10:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aaron -

Fineline is in Merced, CA and Kal Kustom is in Fremont...both an easy drive from Discovery Bay. How about just paying them a visit in person with the boat in tow and show them what's going on live? There's nothing like a face-to-face confrontation to get the point across. Take your wife and kids too (if you have them, if not, borrow a friends) so they can see the absolute frustration they've caused you and your family. Ask them to do a straight across trade with a brand new boat (if you would have another) fresh off the assembly line. Can never hurt to ask...

That's what I would do.

Good luck,
Kent

By Jim Bogden (bog) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 10:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
good idea kent, you should also take someone in a wheelchair. Even the most spineless bastards should have a soft spot in their hearts for them.

By Matt Dettman (matt_dettman) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 2:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jimmy,

Is that Mead butter from last weekend on your profile pic?

Matt

By Bryce (sandman) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 2:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Go with Kent's advice. Many people in customer service feel that they can hide behind a phone. Show up in person and they'll know you mean business.

Good Luck.

By Larry Lawrence (larry6) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 4:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aaron you mentioned a problem with the alarm.. What was the fix for this if any?
I do have a 2002 which had a simalar problem with the alarm. It was fixed (so far)by swapping out the lanyard switch. Was this the same problem with yours?
So far everything has been great with their service however I hope it never gets as bad as yours.
Thanks and good luck!!

By Jim Bogden (bog) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 9:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
matt, hell yes that was last weekend! my buddy got some sweet shots with the digital camera. Damn I hate SLC!!!!

By charley carvalho (wakeeater) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 4:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
!@#$ aaron tat sux i m glad we didn't get teh new centurion

By Justin (allaboutwake) on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 9:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i haven't ever had any troulbe with my centurion. the only thing that has ever had to be replaced is the impeller.

By William Walmer (sonicr1) on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 3:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
WE had problems with our 2000 elite V... fule pump went out the first time we had it in the water. The next two years it did the same thing, this summer we had the velvet drive buzzer going off, which would kill the engine... Needless to say we traded it in on a 02 X-10... Great boat, OK customer service... better service than any of the centurion dealers we dealt with!!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com