How do I change transmission fluid? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » How do I change transmission fluid? « Previous Next »
By BobD (bigd) on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 11:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I want to change the transmission oil in my 99 tige. What is the procedure? how to drain? what kind of oil? how much?

Thanks.

By Shawn (csquared) on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 12:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Don't know exactly about the Tige, but your best bet is to be sure the trans fluid is full (generally requires the boat to be the water to do correctly so you can have it level, warm and be able to put it in and out of gear). If you know the fluid is full, pump as much as you can out of the fill hole into a container. Measure how much you pulled out and put exactly that much back in. You'll most likely need Dexron III fluid, but check your owners manual to be sure. Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is probably the best widely available fluid that is compatible with everything else.

By BrianS (6more) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 5:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Shawn's method is right on. Here is how I just did it. I pumped the old fluid into an empty 2-liter bottle. I then took another empty 2-liter bottle and bumps fresh transmission fluid into the bottle until it was at the same level as the old transmission fluid (just hold the two bottles next to each other). I then pumped the new transmission fluid out of the 2-liter bottle into the transmission. That method is very quick and also allows you to get the new transmission fluid into the transmission without making a mess (ie not use a funnel). I used one of those inexpensive pumps that attach to your drill. The whole process took about 10 minutes. Just make sure you double check the level of the transmission fluid the first time you have the boat running again.

By Tim (srock) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 1:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You suck (the tranny fluid). I have used a turkey baster for years and it works great. Just $2 at your local market. The transmission does have a drain but you'll never get to it unless you pull the tranny.

By BobD (bigd) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 5:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks! I guess now I gotta get out there & do it...

By Matt Dettman (matt_dettman) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
BobD,

Your Tranny should take close to 1 and a half quarts of dexron 3 fluid. The racing boys at Boatswains Locker tell us that Ford type F fluid has a 25% better coefficient of friction... The proper way to check the fluid level is to have the engine warmed up and running. Briefly shift the trans into forward, then reverse, then back to neutral. Shut down the engine, then pull, clean, reinsert and read the stick. If you really want to be thorough, the oil hoses going to and from the trans fluid cooler should be disconnected and blown clear. Unless there has been a trans failure which would contaminate the fluid, this is generally not necessary.

Matt

By Nick (drmalibupws) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 9:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You dont want to disconect the trans line beacause that is part of the fluid level. If you blow the lines clear and the check it might show up full, But when you go run the boat all the lines and the cooler fill back up, now your low on trany fluid. This will cause wear on the the trany and cause slipping.

By Matt Dettman (matt_dettman) on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 1:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Clearly you would run the trans fluid through the cooler, then check the level.

Matt

By BobD (bigd) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 7:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Matt & Nick. I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com