Speakers: Marine or Standard? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Speakers: Marine or Standard? « Previous Next »
By Greg (oaf) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 9:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
When putting speakers in your boat I notice most are using regular speakers. Is there any advantage to putting Marine speakers in your boat. I know most marine speakers don't live up to standard speakers in terms of sound quality, but is the water protection and UV protection worth having. And lastly do regular speakers need to be replaced more offen if used in a marine application?

By Ryan (ocrider) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 9:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg,

Marine speakers are a gimmick used by the manufacturers to sell the same speakers for more money. The only difference is that they are usually uglier because they are white.

As long as you get a speaker that has a cone made out of some type of plastic (polypropylene) or aluminum; and the surround is made with some type of rubber (butyl surround), then it will work fine in your boat. I don't know of anyone that has had to replcae "normal" speakers in their boat because of the weather/moisture affecting them.

Hope that helps.

Ryan Delany
http://www.ryno-gear.com
Rynogear Wakeboarding Accessories

By TY (typhoon) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 6:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do not use marine speakers unless you have your boat in salt water all the time...The sound quality and power handling is significantly less. Just make sure the regular speakers are not foam surrounded which I do not think anyone uses anymore anyway. I have used regular speakers in both of our boats and gotten them very wet and never had an issue.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com