Single mirror..... or duals? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Single mirror..... or duals? « Previous Next »
By Bill Kinnison (bill_airjunky) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 9:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a single Cipa mirror on the driver's side of the windshield of my 205, which is a bow rider. I have several friends who have mounted 2 mirrors or a single mirror that goes all the way across giving way more visibility of the skier to the driver. Each setup has it's issues..... the one that goes all the way across won't work on a bow rider. The dual mirrors are usually both mounted on the drivers side and not very rigid so they move a lot in choppy conditions. My own mirror has trouble staying up in really bad chop.

The one I currently have is the Cipa COMP and the mount isn't one I'd recommend anyone use. It looks like this:
http://www.caribecatalog.com/store/store.php?product_id=1986

I'm thinking of going to a two mirror setup, one large one on each side of the windshield. I want them to be rigid enough to withstand pretty choppy conditions, that they be positioned slightly above the windshield when skiing & that they both fold up under the cover when I put the boat away.

Here is a Cipa mirror that appears to have a nice mount but I am having a hard time finding a similar one for sale anywhere.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/32588.jpg

I've seen this mount in use & they are rigid & fold up nice. Due to the angles of the mount it might be tough to get them to work on both sides of the windshield though.... something I have yet to try.

Boss Towers makes a mirror mount that would work on both sides. The good thing is it's made for the Cipa COMP mirror, but it's almost $200 for just the mount!! And it would never fold up under the cover.
http://www.boardersparadisewakeboardingshop.com/store/shop.mpl?&Item=67567#

Anyone think I'm nuts because I want to be able to see the rider do rolls all the way across the wake & back? Or anyone have any ideas of how to design this bad ass setup? Thanks for any input......
--
Bill - bill@airjunky.com
http://airjunky.com

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 9:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The mirror design that you currently have is a bad one. I have been in boats with the same design and didn't like it. Moves around to much and the window mounts are a joke. The Boss one looks like it would shake all over the place. Even if the mount was solid the tower will shake. Lawrence is running two mirrors but one mirror is clear and the other is hazey. It is a hard setup to get use to. The Cipa mirror that you can't find comes standard on the Calabria's. If I make the move to dual mirrors it will be that one. I have that mirror and it works great. Swing by Pro Tour, Cameron will probably let you test fit it to your boat and see how it works. If you find a place to get them let me know.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 12:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a Cipa Comp mirror as my main one, then a side mirror. It did not cover the port side very well but at least I could see the rider cut out on the starboard side. I had even considered putting a second side view mirror on the port side but figured it was too far away to be of good visability.

On a side note....if you do use a side mirror watch out for the mirror hitting the trailer guides when driving the boat on and off the trailer. On my old boat I had to remove the mirror everytime it went on or off the trailer.

By BobD (bigd) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 4:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Somebody posted this one before. I'm thinking of getting one for next year:

http://www.caribecatalog.com/store/store.php?product_id=2347

By Wakeboarders Heaven (83tige99) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 5:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey bill the mirror that bob is talking about is great. I have had just about every mirror set up that you can think of and this one works the best by far. i mounted mine the other way so it is above the window when i am using it and just loosen it up and drop it dwn to go under my cover. The one thing that i did was change the crappy phillips head screw for an allen head screw. Go see Wiley.

By Mike Bader (fukenrude) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 9:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill, will the convex CIPA model not give you the desired outcome? It might be a little small, I think the CIPA extreme is the way to go.

By Bill Kinnison (bill_airjunky) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 10:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the ideas, guys. Couple of issues I can see so far. I have a Prostar 205 with an Ichor tower on it and I keep it in a boat slip about 8 months of the year.
The side mirrors would likely have a full view of the rear tower leg, not to mention they wouldn't fold up under the cover.
The convex one is nice, but it's another mount I've had trouble with. I had to JB Weld my old one in position....
And the Extreme is a great idea, but same problem, it uses the same crappy mount the others use.
Also, I kind of like them above the windshield, giving good visibility both directions. That & using the cover means it needs to be able to swing down easily.

By MIKE O (batman) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 8:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
In the new LEVEL X magazine there is a picture of a new type that attaches to the tower leg? It's made by www.bossaccessories.com It's made by CIPA and looks pretty cool

By Bill Kinnison (bill_airjunky) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 9:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I mentioned that the Boss mirror bracket in my original post. The more I see it, the better I like it....... but I have a couple of questions about it. Number one, I have an Ichor tower, pretty rigid as towers go, but I wonder how much the tower flex & vibration will be seen in the mirrors.

Also, one of my other projects is to make "polar top" for the boat. It would be a custom bimini with a zip in/out clear front curtain for when it was cold. The bimini would have to be positioned back a bit from where regular ones are, but the ability to use the top in the summer or winter would be pretty sweet. So now would those mirrors be usable under that style of top?

By charley carvalho (wakeeater) on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 8:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
the extreme doesn't move at all my friends got it it worx great

By JDBindyke (aquajack) on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 11:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill, I hear you loud and clear. I like to see both behind the boat and to the side if we are training/teaching and using a boom. That is why I use two of the Cipa mirrors that you mention that you can not get, one on the starboard side of my windshield and one on the port side + one small Cipa side mount on my side windshield next to me.
I stock the mirrors and the brackets that you are looking for and they can be purchased seperately.
We just went to a newer style for this year so that tht bracket can be adjusted to fit various windshields. The mirrors can be adjusted to fold down/up without any tools needed for putting your cover on and off. Email me and I can get you more details and pictures of my set up if you wish.

By Jim C. Day (jim01) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 6:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill,
I run a 97 PS 205 and am interested in running two mirrors. My boat came with a Cipa that has two ch}rome brackets which mount to the top of the window, and a U shaped bar that bolts to the chrome,and holds the mirror.
I bought the second type of Cipa that you showed. That bracket won't fit a MC boat.
I'm going to make a bracket like the Boss.

By Patrick (faceplant409) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the same bracket as Jim. I'd love to use it with the Cipa Extreme mirror but I don't think I will be able to. I just received an Extreme and it has a custom bracket that is half round and concave. I'll post a pic if I get a chance.
P

By Blake (whirly) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 7:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
On that 3-peice it came to attention that it was set as standard on all X-Stars for 2002. However, now, it is not standard on 2003's due to the fact that it was said to block their view. Still looks like a nice mirror though.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com