are macerator pumps reversible? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » are macerator pumps reversible? « Previous Next »
By TY (typhoon) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 7:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was looking at a jabsco macerator pump:
can they be wired to be reversible?
it is 720 gph and ignition safe so it interests me.

thanks

By Stan Tannner (sbt3) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 12:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i am not sure it looks like it has some kind of run dry prevention device. This may effect being able to run it in reverse. Otherwise it looks like it would work. I have a simer blue water 12 pump that I know works I have been using it for 2 years now with no problems. They are also a lot cheaper. I got mine for $52 from a local store. They also sell the spare impellers for $7. The website is www.simerpumps.com the pump is Model BW8512: under the utility pumps.

By TY (typhoon) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 12:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I cannot find any like that around here. I have looked at that pump. My only problem is that you cannot mount that pump in an engine compartment and it cannot get wet.

By Mark Bellaver (markb) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 1:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Stan - So, the pump you are suggesting (BW8512) is reversable? Is it self priming?

Mark

By Stan Tannner (sbt3) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 2:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ty- I have had mine mounted in the engine compartment for two seasons now with no problems. I'm sure it gets a little wet now and again. My boat sits really low and I take water over the back alot so I am sure it has been wet. As far as a spark factor I haven't had any problems, I would say I have been running it for 250 hours. Mine is actually mounted to the side on the wall below the engine. I think they have a phone number on the website maybe you could order one. Otherwise I can get you the name and number of the place here in wisconsin maybe they will ship it to you.

Mark- yes it is reversible, you just have to get a three way switch with 6 pins on the back and you can wire it to switch the polarity. The manufacturer will tell you it is not, but the guy told me it would work, but said that he didn't tell me that. I have mine running in reverse and it empties the sacs just fine. I use it to fill 2 full size sacs. Any of the pumps that have a impeller will most likely self prime. This one says it self primes to 10 feet if I remember correctly.

By TY (typhoon) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 3:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Really, you have it mounted in the motor compartment. I was just not feeling too cozy with that idea. i am thinking that i will route it around the side wall into the storage area and put it in a battery box to keep it dry. I did find one for about 60.00 delivered.

thanks

By Stan Tannner (sbt3) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 6:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
TY- That would work also. I just didn't see the need for it. Like I said I haven't had a problem. My getting the boat ready usually consists of this. Get to boat, lower the lift, flip the switch on the pump, if I remember turn the blower on, fill the gas, start the boat, back boat off lift, put tower up, then putt out the channel for 5-8 minutes, by the time I hit the main lake the two sacs are full. Been doing that with this boat for two seasons 3-5 times a week with no problem. I put a new impeller in the pump this spring, it lasted 175 hours this year. I will probably replace it next spring cause it was starting to slow down a little at the end of the year. If you have any questions on how to wire the pump let me know.

By TY (typhoon) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 6:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Very cool. Thank you. Wish I lived that close to the lake...I am jealous...
lol

By Jamie Schoolcraft (captfaceplant) on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 3:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Would I be able to run three of these at one time out of the same drain hole to both fill and drain?(that way I could balance the system from the drivers seat using relays and remote switches) Also where would I be able to find these pumps?? I have searched and read just about every ballast/pump post I could find and have decided to either go with three self-priming pumps, or just use 6 attwood 750 gph pumps (one fill and one drain for each sack)using Ty's basic idea(Thanks!!)I am purchasing two custom v-locker sacks, and one ski locker sack from lets go ride once I totally figure everything out!

By TY (typhoon) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 9:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You may have a voltage problem using 3 reversible pumps. YOu can use one reversbile and sprinkler valves or ball vales to direct water.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com