Marine Batteries Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Marine Batteries « Previous Next »
By Ken (kschroeder) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 7:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone know the difference between a regular Deep Cycle battery and a Deep Cycle Marine Batter? Such as the Optime Blue Top Deep Cycle Marine battery and the Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle batter.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 8:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Marine batteries are non-vented IIRC.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 8:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blue top batteries have the small threaded nuts on the top and the Yellow top batteries do not.

By Ken (kschroeder) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 9:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
so there really is no functional difference.. i.e. I could use an Optima Yellow Top Deep cycle marine battery just the same as the Blue Top Marine?

By Sean M (magic) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ken, you may want to check Optima's website.

But, from memory:
- Lee is right, there is a difference in terminals. The yellow tops can come with side mounts for GM cars and the Blue Tops come with "trolling motor" terminals.
- Also, check their site, but Blue Tops come with a better warranty (slightly better)

Also, there are both Starting and Deep Cycle Blue tops. They are not all Deep Cycle.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 11:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Yellow Top is not a Marine battery but it is a deep cycle, only the Blue tops are marine. The Blue tops come in starting and deep cycle. Yellow tops have a 1 year free replacement and the Blue tops have a 18 month free replacement warranty on them.

By Ken (kschroeder) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 11:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well since I don't forsee putting a trolling motor on my SAN in the near future is there any reason I could not use the yellow top deep cycle optima batteries?

By Dirk (dlb988) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check this site out for Battery information. I found the link on MalibuBoatOwners.com site.

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/

By Grant (mtbmudmachine) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 1:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok there are 2 types of Batt's #1 SLI (Starting Lighting and Ignition) these are the most common batteries. They are ment to discharge only 5-15% each time. Then be recharged. Then there is #2 "Deep cycle" They are designed to be discharged between 50-90% and then be recharged. That doesn’t mean that if you don't discharge your deep cycle bat’s low you are causing them harm. You are causing your regular bat’s harm if you run it low over and over "Optima says" if you run a Red/Yellow top low more that 4 times you can damage the plates inside the bat and cause the paste that is inside the bat to thin and break down it's ability to hold a full charge. They also suggest that you run all the same size battery’s either all red/yellow tops or all blue tops don't mix and or match.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 1:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Use a Marine battery in Marine applications.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 1:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Try this out for color. http://www.optimabatteries.com/

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 1:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marinebattery.asp

This shows why Marine batteries should be used for boats:

Some of the main differences between the old vented lead acid batteries and the LIFELINE AGM valve regulated sealed lead acid batteries are:

• The electrolyte is absorbed in a glass mat (AGM) separator in the LIFELINE and it is spillable in the flooded or vented type.

• The cells have pressure relief valves in the LIFELINE that are designed to keep positive pressure in each cell. The older vented or flooded type battery cells are open to atmosphere through the vent cap holes (should the vented battery be tilted or inverted, the result can be electrolyte (sulfuric acid/water mixture) spilled all over your equipment, a highly corrosive and potentially dangerous condition).

• The cell groups in the old vented type batteries are loosely packed and thus have high plate separation. In contract, the LIFELINE AGM marine battery has every square inch of positive and negative plate material tightly packed and compressed with the AGM and supported by the walls of each cell. With this type of construction, LIFELINE offers much lower internal resistance ... greater starting power (particularly in cold temperature) ... and a much higher degree of protection against shock and vibration than the old flooded type.

By Grant (mtbmudmachine) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 2:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://www.geocities.com/mtbmudmachine/stereo.html?1038866742742

There is some of the same info here on my website

By Ken (kschroeder) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 7:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant I know you are using the optima blue top marine batteries, is there any problem if I were to use the yellow tops to save $100 ??? The Blue tops are about $160-180 and I've found the yellow top deep cycles for $110-120 and I plan on buying two.

By BobD (bigd) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 7:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Grant,

I looked at your web site - looks like you have updated it recently. I see that your batteries are under your bow seats and you have a big sub under the observers seat. Do you ever tae any water over the bow and if so is it an issue if the batteries get wet up there (or the wiring)? Also that sub looks pretty close to the floor - any danger of water there? My Tige is open from the storage compartment through to under the bow seats on the left side and I sometimes take a roller over the bow that gets water into the storage compartment. You have got a great setup. I'm going to try to copy your amp board setup over the winter.

By Grant (mtbmudmachine) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 9:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
: Yellow tops will work "Great" I found Optima Blue tops for around $125 at "PEP Boy's" I guess your getting "2" One to start your boat and One to run your Accessory’s.

Yes sometime I take a little water over the bow, To me: That’s the worst thing about Nautiques they are easy to swamp. (So I’m real careful and so is my wife) I have never had a "Super Swamp". The worst I have had is a little water on the Batteries and under the bow seat's, the sub is far back there and if I got water that far back
Under the passenger seat. I have got bigger problem's than just a swamp, That section of the boat Never gets wet (knock on wood) It's nice and dry. The sub sits just off the floor so it would have to be real wet to get it. When you are ready to do the AMP board I have some good Idea's for you get a hold of me and I will walk you threw it.

By Bobby Mucic (bobbymucic) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 10:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check out Costco,
I've seen optima batteries there.
Big bonus: Costco has a great return policy.

By Tim (srock) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 11:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have two batteries. A deep cycle marine and a starting battery. The deep cycle is used to run equipment while the engine is off--stereo and pumps---and the other for starting. I use a simple marine switch that allows battery 1, battery 2 or both.

Is it a mistake to place the switch to both to charge both batteries while running the engine?

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 11:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can rotate the switch to every position but off while engine is running.

By Bobby Mucic (bobbymucic) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 12:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tim,

You shouldn't run both batteries at the same time (position 1 & 2). The stronger will charge into the weaker, and you could be left with 2 half-charged batteries(unless you add an isolater).

As along as you switch between them for either purpose, you should be fine.

My set-up has two identical batteries, but I never run them at the same time (hard to get them at the same charge level unless you trickle charge them, then always use the position on 1&2). Instead, I alternate days/mornings/afternoons with them. That way I always have an operating back-up.

Bobby

By BobD (bigd) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 1:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant,

That's why I asked. I did a Super Swamp this summer - 2 adults in the bow, nobody in the back & I dropped from about 30 MPH to 5 MPH in about 2 seconds (DOH!). The nose of the boat submarined about 3 inches under water & we took about 50 gallons in the boat in about 2 seconds. Totally freaked the passengers up there out - they thought we were sunk for sure.

By Grant (mtbmudmachine) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 10:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Damm Ooo Super Swamp! I would be hating it if that happed to me, How did that happen? I have herd of people getting pretty swamped (a wave crashed over and on there binini) when 2 Passing by big boats threw monster wakes there way they said they couldn't gass it because they had a skiier in the water with the rope around the guy

By BobD (bigd) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 5:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tiges sit real low in the water (they say they changed that for 2003) and when I cut the throttle real fast the wake rolled up under the stern and pushed the rear of the boat up. We had 2 adults sitting in the bow, me driving and the only other passenger was kneeling on the observer seat looking forward so we basically had the bow weighted down with nothing in the stern. Since I didn't stop all the way, when the stern raised up, the bow just kind of shot down under the surface. If you're not stupid and ease off the throttle rather than just yanking it back you don't have that problem (or in my case just keep my head pulled out while driving). I've also had big yachts throw some waves over the bow in the no wake channel because we can't get away from them.

By Bobby Mucic (bobbymucic) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 11:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was at Costco tonight; blue top marine deep cycle, two types of posts per terminal, ~$140.

By Cyclone CJ (cyclonecj) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 4:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought my blue top deep cycle from www.batterymart.com for 140.00 + shipping

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com